INVERTER ?????????????????

mansell

Can anyone help with some straightforward answers to these questions please? I have just had a 2KW inverter fitted. We have 2 x 110 leisure batteries.

(a) My other half's hairdryer is 1200W; running this for 15 minutes how much will it deplete my batteries?

(b) The electric kettle is 1600W; this takes about eight minutes to boil - how much will it deplete my batteries; and

© We have a Hymer Mercedes - with the engine on tickover will it replace what is being taken out with either of the above two?

Being simple, can I have simple answers please in old money if possible.

Hi,

The hairdryer will take aproximately 25 AH when used for 15 minutes and the kettle will take aproximately 18 AH per boiling. The engine running at tickover will take several hours to replace this amount of power. It would be cheaper to boil a kettle on the gas hob. Does it really take 15 minutes for your partner to dry her hair?

D.

Thanks for that. Simple answers that a simple man can understand!! Our plan is to use the hairdryer (and yes it does take 15 minutes) in a morning after we have been camped without hookup so that travelling that day in theory should top the batteries up. Correct?? The only other thing we may use it for occasionally is the microwave, which shouldn't be a problem. It was just an option as opposed to a generator which we didn't want, but we also have a solar panel so this should help as well.

Barrie Middleton

Hornsea

If you intend to use the hairdryer infrequently and then drive for a few hours this should, in combination with the solar panel cope with your demands. I think, if I were you, I might try to persuade your partner to let her hair dry naturally. Perhaps tell her you've read somewhere about damaging the hair strands with too much blow drying and complimenting her on how luxuriantly soft it is if left to dry naturally. (lol)

D.

Mike is right, but 80% is probably too high. Even for new batteries charged optimally (with a reducing current as 'full voltage' is reached, you will be lucky to get much more than 70% of rated capacity out. And if you discharge them using powerful toys, such as microwaves and kettles, you will be lucky to get much more than 60% out because a larger current drain affects what you can get out.

And the solar panel is unlikely to make as big a difference as you might think. Mounted on the roof, it is never at right angles to the sun so never generates its maximum possible output. Even in Spain in June you will be lucky to see more than 85% of rated output. So a 100 watt panel will yield about 6 amps at noon, dropping to nothing at sunrise and sunset. So in southern Spain in clear sun, you will get about 55amp hours into your battery in June, but only half that in winter.

And with the sun at a much greater angle, you'll be lucky to get 25 to 30 amp hours in the UK in June on a day with light clouds, and only about 5 amps on a darker cloudy day.

mansell - 2007-01-29 2:36 PM

Hi Dave It is my intention to come and see you later in the year for my HAB. check after we come back from Portugal in June and then you can tell her about the HAIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

On that note how much notice do you need.

B. M.

How much do you want me to tell her about the hair? I fear me telling her how luxuriantly soft it is after natural drying might be a little beyond my normal scope of services (lol) (lol) .

I can get most people in within a week to ten days at present.

D.

I used to have beautiful long hair, nearly down to my waist, but got fed up to the teeth of looking after it and it taking ages to dry so I cut it in the middle of Bayeux last summer to just above shoulder length (looked like a massacre!) and have kept it short ever since - much nicer when it's hot and saves having to keep tying it back out of the way (I thought if I was always having it tied up what's the point in having long hair anyway?!). Short hair can be much more flattering as well ... not that I needed that of course! :-> :->

Archived