Hiding spare keys.

flyboyprowler

Rayjsj - 2018-11-12 10:09 AM
weldted - 2018-11-12 9:53 AMWhen we had our Motorhome stolen from a car park, the first thing my insurance company asked was did I have both sets of keys? Unfortunately the van was found burnt out when the loss adjuster came to my house he asked me to produce both sets of keys. All be it a few years ago.
When purchasing 2nd hand, you dont always get 2 sets of keys, how do they proceed in that case ?And.....no such rule is specified on my insurance terms and conditions.?

If you buy a used MH with only one set of keys you'd be better getting a second set as a spare anyway.  But if you decide not to do that, it might make sense to get it noted on the receipt that only one set of keys was provided and perhaps even tell the insurance company when you first take out cover that you have only one set.  Insurance companies are not likely to take your word for it that there was only one set if you are making a claim.

Charles - 2018-11-11 7:32 AM

We had a plain metal key cut and I stuck it to the chassis with lots of grease. It's out of plain sight but It gets dirty and becomes invisible even if you're looking at it B-)

A plain key will probably get you into the van but as many starter keys have a transponder in them these days a plain key may well not start the engine if the ECU can't find a transponder to link to?

Just imagine it is hissing with rain when you lose your keys and you are parked on muddy or puddly ground - do you really want to go under the van to play hunt the key!

Rayjsj - 2018-11-11 3:21 PM

flyboyprowler - 2018-11-10 3:59 PM

Ah, I am not looking for details of hiding places, but ideas.

Have a small magnetic box that holds my spare key.......somewhere under my van.

Too much 'detail' Ray. (lol)

weldted - 2018-11-12 9:53 AM

When we had our Motorhome stolen from a car park, the first thing my insurance company asked was did I have both sets of keys? Unfortunately the van was found burnt out when the loss adjuster came to my house he asked me to produce both sets of keys. All be it a few years ago.

The answer to that is a firm "no" if you don't. The only reason they could have for asking that is looking for any way to wriggle out of settling payment but as it's not an insurance requirement to have 2 sets of keys, i think they'd be on a loser.

I once bought a car with only one key and spent almost £100 getting a spare cut and coded. Waste of money as i never used it!

I have noticed many selling used mh's make a big thing in their sales blurb if the van has 2 sets of keys.

I keep our second spare set of keys hidden inside the m/h and had a spare habi key cut at a Timsons, they're at most Tesco's, that is in a dirtied up plastic bag cable tied to the chassis. You'd have to be eagle eyed to spot it and bear in mind a thief would be lying on the ground fumbling about under the m/h and the chances of that happening are about the same as Mrs May giving BoJo another ministerial job

A lot of very interesting suggestions. I like the idea of having a set attached, probably by wire to my person, and as I don't have a hab door key on this van, I won't be hiding one underneath, especially as Tracker says, it may be raining when I lose them! With fobs for alarms, and coded ignition keys, it will make a healthy bunch, but if we both take a set then we are at least guaranteed to get back in, subject of course that we haven't been mugged!!! (lol)

weldted - 2018-11-12 9:53 AM

When we had our Motorhome stolen from a car park, the first thing my insurance company asked was did I have both sets of keys? Unfortunately the van was found burnt out when the loss adjuster came to my house he asked me to produce both sets of keys. All be it a few years ago.

Some years ago, a friend of ours, had his car stolen. When he was asked about the spare key, his wife (a non driver) remarked that he kept a spare key , hidden (I can't remember where ) but on the car, He had a lot of problems getting any compensation.

This was at least 20 years ago, so I guess the insurance companies now days, are even more concerned about spare keys!

We always have a set each, but if alone then take both ignition /door keys with you., in different pockets, or one set attached to your belt. No need for all the keys,(we had many keys for different things on our van)

PJay

My Comfort policy says, "Your policy does not cover the following: ... 2. Loss or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys of your motorhome have been left in or on your motorhome or your motorhome has been left unattended with the engine running."

Brock - 2018-11-12 6:04 PMMy Comfort policy says, "Your policy does not cover the following: ... 2. Loss or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys of your motorhome have been left in or on your motorhome or your motorhome has been left unattended with the engine running."

Interesting? When hitching round Europe in the 1960's we buried our passports in a plastic bag under out tents. Under that clause, if you buried your ignition keys on a similar way - you would be covered as they are not in the van nor are they attached to it? Bet they'd wriggle like crazy on that one!

laimeduck - 2018-11-12 9:00 PM

When hitching round Europe in the 1960's we buried our passports in a plastic bag under out tents. Under that clause, if you buried your ignition keys on a similar way - you would be covered as they are not in the van nor are they attached to it? Bet they'd wriggle like crazy on that one!

Underground wriggling keys, now that would be worth seeing, bet they wouldn't stay hidden for long!

Brock - 2018-11-12 6:04 PM

My Comfort policy says, "Your policy does not cover the following: ... 2. Loss or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys of your motorhome have been left in or on your motorhome or your motorhome has been left unattended with the engine running."

Errm.....well yeah that seems not only pretty fair to me but plain common sense. Why the hell should any insurance company cough up when the owner has pretty much 'handed' the keys over to the thief?

Anyone daft enough to leave a vehicle unattended with engine running or keys in ignition deserves to get it pinched..

We each carry habitation door keys, and as a back up I have a key taped to the outside of the vehicle. this key gives access to an exterior locker. Within that locker is a steel safe secured to the vehicle. Within that safe are all spare keys, cards etc.

Steve H - 2018-11-13 10:10 AM

We each carry habitation door keys, and as a back up I have a key taped to the outside of the vehicle. this key gives access to an exterior locker. Within that locker is a steel safe secured to the vehicle. Within that safe are all spare keys, cards etc.

. . . and where do you hide the key to the safe?

Archived