Improvements to leisure battery charging

DavieR

Arthur, most conversions we have seen appear to be opting for a Sterling B2B or the awful CTEK 250, both of which are designed as Battery to Battery chargers. Because they 'correct' the Alternator battery voltage 'at the habitation battery' (more on that later) they do sort of work.

However, any Fridge supply taken from the Starter battery will still pick up the fluctuating voltage and so require a second device.

Having two devices putting potentially different Alternator voltages into the system doesn't sound a good idea to me, and doubles the electronics to go wrong, especially when the converters seem to be installing 'minimum capability' style units.

However, you and I have discussed before most of these B2B's don't have a voltage sense cable at the habitation battery. Only at the B2B's internals, so there can be a difference between what the B2B thinks it is charging at and the actual voltage at the battery, so you may get 14.4v or not.

The Schaudt works and is installed differently, it boosts ALL voltage coming out of the Alternator going into the CBE whether that be for the Fridge or the 'Split Charging'.

The Schaudt unit doesn't bypass any existing functionality, but wiring the conventional 'Battery to Battery' way does side step the main DS520, so can/may introduce complications

Please don't let them fit two units which are likely to be undersized and subsequently more fragile.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aandncaravan - 2019-04-09 10:04 AM

Please don't let them fit two units which are likely to be undersized and subsequently more fragile.

Thanks again Allan.

On our van the fridge is driven from the starter battery via a relay. So I'm hoping the WA121545 will do the trick. If not, I'll switch fridge off whilst driving .... or run it on gas!!!!

Wee update.

I have the Schaudt WA121545 from Germany. Not cheap at 400 Euro delivered. Wildax are aware and are keen to see how well it works. They have been using B2B but have stopped doing so because of "issues": not sure what these are.

Today I temporarily installed it in the van without the voltage and temperature sensors connected. With engine running at tickover I have a constant 14.41v at the leisure batteries (Banner Energy Bull). The battery voltage facility and charging of starter battery work on EHU with bypass switch "On".

Fridge is running OK on 12v with engine running but I wasn't prepared to take a temp installation onto the open road so I can't be sure it is 100%.

I reckon once I have a permanent installation with sensors included, this is going to be a class bit of kit.

So thank you Allan for suggesting the WA and others for guidance. Bit more than I was hoping to spend but

- hoping for at least partial reimbursement

- we plan to keep this van for years: could be our last one

arthur49 - 2019-04-10 8:46 PM

Thank you Allan. I'm "fair tricket"

https://doricphrases.com/phrases.php?p=1&s=20&l=F :-D :-D

Arthur, On our Web page 'Wiring your own Camper', about 3/4 way down the page, is documented an email from someone whose converter won't use CBE kit because, "it is not compatible with a VW's Euro6 Alternator".

Almost identical to your situation, with CBE kit, etc.

Please would you consider letting us quote your 'update' above as an example that the Schaudt is an option that works?

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/wiring-your-camper.php

Thanks.

Allan.

aandncaravan - 2019-04-11 11:06 AM

arthur49 - 2019-04-10 8:46 PM

Thank you Allan. I'm "fair tricket"

https://doricphrases.com/phrases.php?p=1&s=20&l=F :-D :-D

Arthur, On our Web page 'Wiring your own Camper', about 3/4 way down the page, is documented an email from someone whose converter won't use CBE kit because, "it is not compatible with a VW's Euro6 Alternator".

Almost identical to your situation, with CBE kit, etc.

Please would you consider letting us quote your 'update' above as an example that the Schaudt is an option that works?

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/wiring-your-camper.php

Thanks.

Allan.

Not a problem Allan, use anything you need of mine/from me. Incidentally this whole thread is very useful, so I've bookmarked it

Arthur

• 1 month later...

Further update on Schaudt WA121545

Well we've been away for 7 days, all but one night off EHU, and everything is working well. I'm getting a constant 14.4v at leisure batteries (varies with battery temp and time driving, but no uncontrolled variable voltage)

The fridge, on 12v whilst driving, is not shutting down and buzzer sounding, so the WAxxxx is doing its job well, presumably by placing a load on the alternator so preventing voltage drop affecting fridge. (The fridge is driven off the starter battery)

BUT this Master base has Stop/Start and when we stop at lights for example, the engine switches off, and fridge buzzer sounds! So we need to switch off Stop/Start to prevent this.

All credit to Wildax. They did not expect this base to have a smart alternator etc until summer deliveries of Master, so taken by surprise and have been fantastic during this issue. When things go wrong, a major test of converter/dealer is how they react, and Wildax have been excellent. :-D :-D

I hope my experience helps others if they encounter smart alt etc and big thank you again to Allan for pointing to a good solution

(An aside. The NDS SC15-240 solar regulator is faulty. Feeding up to 15.8v into my Energy Bulls so I've had to pull the fuse :'( :'( )

• 3 weeks later...

Further update:

We have just returned from 8 days away, all except one night off EHU.

I installed the bluetooth version of NASA BM1 battery monitor and achieved an initial charge rate of 42A on engine start after a day and night off EHU. The voltage stabilises at/about 14.4v after a short time.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the WA121545, and Wildax refunded the cost - even better!

The stop/start is another issue. I switch it off on engine start to prevent fridge buzzer sounding

Archived