Van Blitz type Alarm for £39 - Never

Terrytraveller

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brambles,

I did the current consumption check some three years ago and seem to remember the figure eight, upon reflection I think you are probably right and it could be 0.008 Amps (8 mA). I carried out a series of checks because the original Micromark alarm bought from SAS costing then £99 on my first MH, was being replaced by an identical Micromark model from FocusDIY for £39 in my new MH.

The SAS Micromark was specified at 12-volts input and no mains adaptor was supplied with the unit. The Micromark from FocusDIY came with a mains adaptor, but what was worrying was that the input voltage was specified at 9-volts. However, on checking the on load output from the mains adaptor supplied with the FocusDIY unit, it was found to be nearly 15-volts. I set the new system up and soak tested it to make sure all was going to be okay, as mentioned previously has now been in continuous use for just over three years and no problems in the MH.

So my new in theory calculation is now going to be 442 days running on an 85amp battery, thanks for picking me up on that statement, take your point about battery characteristics.

Judgemental,

A tilt switch is used to indicate when enough 12 year old Malt has been consumed , or whether you need to open a new bottle. In the case of “He is not drunk that from the floor, can raise his arm and ask for more.”, the tilt switch needs to be installed in the horizontal and not vertical setting

Regards Terry

Guest JudgeMental
Terrytraveller - 2007-02-07 3:20 PM

Judgemental,

A tilt switch is used to indicate when enough 12 year old Malt has been consumed , or whether you need to open a new bottle. In the case of “He is not drunk that from the floor, can raise his arm and ask for more.”, the tilt switch needs to be installed in the horizontal and not vertical setting

Regards Terry

A typical non exspurt DIYer response...

As I and all the other Mental’s are strictly tea total, I can only feel sympathy for you - Sir! And may God have mercy on your poor soul... ;-)

• 4 years later...
Basil - 2007-02-01 12:40 PM

I will always know and call them Van Blitz because tha's how our freinds motorhome looked after their work! It took a couple of weekends care by us to make it look reasonable after the total lack of helpfulness when complained about. Yet another grab your money and stuff off outfit IMO!!

It's people like this that spoil it for people like you Dave.

Bas

So supply me with a name and adress and allow me to investigate. my email is eddie@vanbitz.com Are you sure that is was Strikeback and are you sure it was Van Bitz?

Strange that after 20 years we have got such a good reputation yet whenever some one is talking about price some one comes along and sprouts " My mate had one and it was rubbish"

If is was rubbish and if it is so expensive I assume that they complained.

We like all decent companies take complaints seriously and will have a full report on the complaint, what was done to rectify the complaint and a follow up proceedure.

Some times people even make this stuff up 8-) Hard to believe I know but they do!

Dave, thanks for your support, you remain as always a sensible professional member of our industry.

I cannot do everything, neither can my staff. When called for I have to pay the going rate. My fridge packed up the other day. A man came out, he looked at the problem, he told me what was wrong and then he supplied the bit and fixed it. My invoice was £168.00

Shall I go onto a fridgefixers forum and call him a ripp off merchant because I could have bought the bit for £30 from the internet? No I think I shall remain happy to pay for his knowledge and service.

Just a last thought. We have records of every single installation that we (Van Bitz) have ever undertaken. We still have spares and notes so can keep systems up and running that we installed in the early 90's Long term customer service and spares are just one of a whole package that some of us are happy to pay for. It is called service.

Eddie

Having had a Van Bitz strikeback alarm in a van I would have to say I would not hesitate to have another one fitted they are not expensive if you have paid thousands for your van,the workmanship is second to none,they have an excellent reputation well earned.To compare this alarm with some cheap DIY alarm is really talking out of your backside, try telling your insurance company I bet they love a good laugh,and do you think they will pay you out if anything happens?Have any doubts about Van Bitz? talk to them they will give you good sound advice and not the hard sell and no my only connection is a satisfied customer who speaks as they find.

Guest peter

As Dave has already pointed out, it's the labour involved that jacks up the price compared to a DIY installation. Min' 4 Hrs @ £50 P/H = £200 saved if you do it yourself.

Simple, if you have the know how.

It's the same with everything else in life.

Fit your own kitchen and save at least £4k.

Service your own van and save thousands over the years.

Knowledge is power.

But a little knowledge badly excecuted = disaster.

pelmetman - 2011-03-18 6:43 PM

Post dates 2007.....2011 8-)......... Have I woken up in a parallel universe :D

Someone must be really bored to trail back and find this thread ... or someone has stood on his corns !!! :-S ;-)

I had an Email today from Eddie which enlightened me a bit as to why this has been resurrected, it is not my place to pass on personsal information but I feel it fair to say that Eddie is having a personally challenging time at the moment so please go easy folks. Eddie you are in our thoughts.

D.

In edit, I'll be more than happy to enjoy a beer or two with you guys at the outdoor shows ;-) .

:$ Well! Thanks to all that supported us on this thread.

I was emailed the link with a note suggesting that we were being bashed.

I jumped in at the first opportunity without checking the posted dates 8-)

In my defence my mother died a few days ago and I was at her funeral on Friday when I received the link on my iphone >:-(

Hi Hum

I guess that is three beers at Peterborough now Dave ;-)

Eddie

Archived