Who to blame

teflon2

pelmetman - 2018-11-18 8:32 AM

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-17 7:18 PM..........................I suppose it might be that the UK is an equally sovereign nation, and is also a member of the EU. In our case though, you seem to think we should leave the EU because our sovereign status is in doubt. Sauce, goose, and gander? :-D

1 Its pretty obvious that the EU is trying to usurp Sovereignty of its members by making the nations laws secondary to the EU's *-) ...........……………………………….

2 Yes I know Switzerland like Norway is not a EU member ;-) ........But they are obliged to follow EU rules :-| .........

Maybe that's something the UK should consider once we've left???? >:-) ........

1 I'm not sure where you get this impression, but the legal hierarchy of whose rules take precedence over who else's is clear from the treaties creating the EU. Where EU law takes precedence over UK law, that has already been agreed by UK governments. The EU has no power to usurp (1. To seize and hold (the power or rights of another, for example) by force or without legal authority. 2. To take over or occupy without right: usurp a neighbour's land. 3. To take the place of (another) without legal authority; supplant.) anyone's law making rights, and no such move is in contemplation. If any further areas of law-making were to be transferred to the EU, they would require approval by the UK government as well as the governments of (I think all, because I think treaty changes would be required) member states. So, I think your statement is wildly exaggerated in its implications.

2 Switzerland is "required" to follow EU law only insofar as the Swiss government (as the government of an independent sovereign nation) has decided it appropriate for Switzerland to do so. Switzerland is a member of Schengen, and also of the EU single market. The extent to which it must accept EU law is limited to matters relating to the single market and Schengen.

It wouldn't half help if you would check the accuracy of what you say, rather than confusing fact with your (unfounded) private fears! :-D

pelmetman - 2018-11-18 3:55 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-18 3:45 PM

I find it somewhat hypocritical for you to bang on about sovereignty when not that long ago your lot branded Gina Miller as 'a traitor' and bombarded her with death and rape threats after she dared to go through our Supreme court to ensure parliamentary sovereignty was followed. Not to mention our own judges being branded "Enemies of the People".

You do understand the word "Sovereignty" dont you Bullet? *-) ........

"national sovereignty"

synonyms: autonomy, independence, self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-legislation, self-determination,

Yes and also understand Spain is an EU member country you apparently refuse to acknowledge despite going there every year. *-)

pelmetman - 2018-11-18 3:59 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-18 3:45 PM

Swiss have always had referendums over everything from banning washing hanging outside on Sundays to trying to get drivers to turn off their engines at traffic lights. All part of the Swiss mentality which many non-Swiss don't understand and even less know about.

So does that make "Their" referendum any less legal than ours? ;-) .........

Actually it makes it more...not less, as they can demand a binding referendum where ours was purely advisory....something you seem to have forgotten about. You aren't familiar with or understand the Swiss mentality which is totally different to British.

BTW ........What's your problem with the voter deciding the future of our country? :-| ............

Thats why we have general elections to vote a government every five years. Once any party is in power though that doesn't mean anyone in opposition has to shut up and say absolutely nothing for the next five years.

Bulletguy - 2018-11-19 6:14 PM

Thats why we have general elections to vote a government every five years. Once any party is in power though that doesn't mean anyone in opposition has to shut up and say absolutely nothing for the next five years.

You can whinge and moan to your hearts content and all you will achieve is exactly nothing - apart from boring the ears off of normal people and making them smile at your discomfort!!

Tracker - 2018-11-19 7:19 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-19 6:14 PM

You can whinge and moan to your hearts content and all you will achieve is exactly nothing - apart from boring the ears off of normal people and making them smile at your discomfort!!

All i've heard the past few days is the continual howl of Brexiters on their doomed sinking ship as they realise they can't get £350m for the NHS, can't stop 'johnny foreigner' setting foot on 'their' precious land, can't "take back control" after all, and are pretty much back where we were before all this ludicrous debacle began......only this time we no longer have a seat at the EU table as one dozy Brexit MP finally discovered the other day. *-)

Not to mention it's costing the country more per week than what we paid in EU fees. *-)

Tracker - 2018-11-19 9:23 PM

Does that mean you support Mrs May's EU withdrawal 'agreement' because after two years of non stop bleating from remoaners it does at least make a change to have something tangible to argue about..

No. Since everyone irrespective which side of the fence they're on now knows much more than they did pre-referendum it makes sense to go back to the public with a more detailed referendum rather than an "in/out". However i still have reservations about that as few people are familiar with the raft of legislation which affects day to day lives. Losing what we've already been told is more than enough for me to remain but long before the referendum my mind was made up. It may not be picture postcard perfect, (what is?), but you don't make something better by running away.....just worse or in our case, a lot worse as we've now seen.

The crazy horse may have bolted off....but as yet the gate is still open though will only stay open for so long as i imagine other EU countries are keen to get on with important business rather than having this annoying little side show running.

Brexit has proved to be a suicidal social experiment costing the country billions to achieve absolutely nothing. We need to mend our badly damaged relationship with the EU and take a good wedge of 'humble pie' instead of expecting to 'have cake and eat it'.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-20 2:45 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-20 8:53 AM

With a bit of luck the Remainers will only be able to blame themselves for the UK leaving without a deal B-) .........

Try another gag, we didn't vote to leave.....you did.

Correct ;-) ........The majority did B-) .........

But it'll be you Remoaners who will prolly achieve what I'd prefer.......a No Deal exit :D ..........

How annoying will that be? (lol) .........

Archived