2005 Ducato 2.8 hymer a class

snail

Hi, took van out for a run yesterday 40 miles or so, ran into heavy rain lots of surface water,

anyway on two occasions had the immobilizer light fail to go out when trying to restart, after several switching on and off the light went out and started ok, once back home tried it 8 times never failed!

What I would like to know is will it have any detrimental affect if I disconnect any of the ecu or other electrical connections to clean them with contact cleaner, dont want to create problems, would it be better to pull connectors half off then squirt and work back and forth? where is the best place to start looking?

We have had van from new and also have a sigma s30 alarm fitted from new

Thanks Brian

Hmmmm! Lots of views no responses? Haven't found the ecu yet? Have I got one? Knee height inside cab fuse box each side under bonnet another black box lid bolted on which also says fuses and relays? Is it in there?

Thanks Brian

Hi Brian, this maybe a long shot but it happened to my MH.

Nearly every time when out on the road and it was raining, my lights and indicators used to come on and off and signal all manner of indications.

I had it in garages no end of time trying to find the cause, with no answer.

After about 9 months plus, I got an Auto Electrician who had no tie to the garages to have a look.

He found the cause. the wiring loam along the chassis was jammed under a cross member and after time it had chaffed bearing the wires, thus causing the problem. So he cut the loam both sides of the cross member and reconnected it and I havnt had any problems since.

I did point this out to Hymer at the time as it was a very bad assembly job at the factory, but they were not interested.

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Brian,

Unless there is a case of duplicate identity, it seems that you had similar problems with your vehicle many years ago. At least your post of 23 March 2014, suggests this.

You have made the understandable assumption that water ingress was the cause of you recent problems, but may I suggest that in view of past history, you keep an open mind.

To answer you questions, standard advice is to disconnect the battery negative, before carrying out any work that could bring you into contact with the vehicle electrics, but do you have a coded radio?

Having disconnected the battery it should be safe to disconnect any connector if deemed necessary, but I would advise careful consideration before disconnecting the ECU. It has two large multiway connectors, and any misalignment on replacing could be disasterous.

The code control unit, of which you are aware, is located in the lower steering column cover.

The control unit is connected to the ecu via "Front Engine Coupling" (D004). The ECU on x244 vehicles is located, at the LHS side of the engine bay, roughly down and to the side of the engine air filter. The location of the Front Engine Coupling (D004) is more problematical. Diagrams show it as being adjacent and above the ECU. It is not obvious in this area, but when carry out a DRL mod, I did find a connector hidden in the base of the engine bay fusebox. This could be D004, but I did not confirm at the time.

I think that in any event the connector is well protected.

If you wish to investigate further you MUST disconnect and secure the battery negative lead. Then remove the engine fuse box cover (two M5 nuts, 8mm socket type screwdiver bit advised). With the cover removed, disconnect the main red positive cable (M6 nut, 10mm socket or bit). With the cable disconnected, it is possible to unlatch the fuse/relay board assembly and hinge upwards to see underneath.

Reconnect in reverse order.

While looking at the engine area, it may be worth checking the ECU earth connection, which is under the LHS headlamp area. May be visible from underneath.

I suggest that as regards the ECU and the connector, and before taking any further action,you make a very careful visual inspection for marks caused by water, and Google "Fiat Ducato Immobiliser Faults". Further action may include using the services of an auto electrician.

Another thought is, how old is your starter battery? Is it still the original?

Alan

Thanks for your replies, I will follow up your ideas, it is difficult with a temporary fault? Tried it 10 times today never failed once! Have cleaned up contacts in cab steering column unit and ignition switch, Have a look to find the ecu doesn't help having a letter box for a bonnet, may remove the air filter to see better, new Bosch starter battery last winter, have the code for the radio so no bother, if it is wet weather related then ecu would be the suspect area to look as most flood surface water was kerbside, but have driven in heavy rain many times, I have tried the spare key also when it failed but made no difference, a bit more perseverance if and when it stops raining!

Yes it did fail in 2014 we were in Spain in the sun! Then it was put down to another signal interferring with it?

Thanks Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi still having issues with this, van is in the garage had new immolbiliser ring sensor and control unit fitted, now keys need coding but there computer can't read communicate with it?

Garage suspect my sigma s30 alarm is blocking the signal to there diagnostic, laptop, reader

Is this possible and if so will disconnecting the alarm cure it? When coding done and alarm reconnected what's the chance of it still working?

Thanks Brian

Archived