Condensation and cooking

icelander

Hi Rob,

I use a small pressure cooker when cooking potatoes or stews or anything that usually takes a long time, it reduces cooking time and no steam from a boiling pan for 20 mins or more! I usually put lids on pans to reduce steam in the motorhome but find if I have the roof vent open a little and the window behind the cooker on the night latch I don't steam up the van. Even in cold weather the heat from the cooking means that the van stays warm. On warm days windows and vents open anyway. Some people use microwaves or electric cook pots. Don't know of any pans with built in hoses though

Tina

icelander,

Forgive the ignorance Q is it because it bothers you or is it because it's bad for the M/H. If the latter I suffer as well end up opening all and cleaning down the window's I have often wondered what is getting damp somewhere but then I suppose it's to little to worry about ?.

Or Not ? *-)

I am using my own user name now not my beloveds.

Thanks for the advice.

Michele It is because of the steam settling on the interior plus bedding etc. Then one has to have the windows and heating on for longer. Just trying to be green - 26 years as a solar heating engineer does that to one I suppose (now retired)

Rob

Its worth bearing in mind that as much moisture is generated by the combustion of gas in air as comes off the pans. In fact the combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel will produce water vapour, petrol engines for example produce 1 gallon of water in their exhaust for every gallon of petrol they consume.

D.

Going "green" is only a government ploy to make everyone conform and feel guilty and appear to be personaly 'at fault'

Like "weapons of mass..............." and now "global warming"

The true answer is the more you conform, the more you will obey/pay like the air flight tax of 1-2-2007.

Remember well "They're after your money"

bil h

Double skillet is from D & F Promotions, they usually attend all the shows although you can get them by mail order. Basically it's 2 frying type pans which can be used individually, stacked one on top of the other thus only using 1 hob, or 'locked' together to form a sort of roasting pan. The handles detach for storing.

I would say that either one is good - your choice probably governed by how much storage space you have and whether you always have electric hook up.

see review of the skillet here http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrwenf

and lakeland's here  http://preview.tinyurl.com/2y72x4

another popular cooking device is the Tagine, also available from lakeland

B-)

bil h - 2007-02-01 11:33 PM Going "green" is only a government ploy to make everyone conform and feel guilty and appear to be personaly 'at fault' Like "weapons of mass..............." and now "global warming" The true answer is the more you conform, the more you will obey/pay like the air flight tax of 1-2-2007. Remember well "They're after your money" bil h

Just for the moment, assuming you are right, Bill, the worst that will happen is we all pay a bit more in tax.  Presumably, that extra tax will get spent by government on something more or less useful - we haven't yet quite achieved banana republic levels of corruption, with our politicians salting the tax proceeds away in numbered Swiss accounts for their own use.

However, if we assume that global warming is real, and the extra tax is genuinely an attempt to make us behave in a greener way, but we do as you suggest (if I understand your drift) and ignore it all, what then? 

You may not like, or agree with, the predictions, but ignoring them for the sake of a (relatively) few bob today does seem a bit selfish. 

Isn't a more sensible approach to assume there may be something in the predictions, and accept the advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, rather than carry on regardless and present our children and grandchildren with an uncontrollable catastrophy in which continual war, land shortages and famine become our enduring bequest to them?

probably true - but then - there'd be no-one to inherit the world we try to save - so the survival instinct would kick in and we stop trying - and have children - but then we would be ruining their 'inheritance' so we'd have to stop having children - .. .. .. ..   dohh *-)

B-)

icelander - 2007-02-02 6:29 PM After spending 27 years of full time servicing of solar heating systems, I can confidently say that the best way to prevent pollution, cut house and land prices, build less roads - is to stop having children. Any comments anyone? Rob

Is there a connection?  Why do you go on having so many children?  What were you actually doing for those 27 years, while supposedly servicing solar heating systems? :-)

hi icelander,

I prefer the option that accords respect to all life, [altho I do struggle with most insects and the 2 cats from over the back fence; do not think we have the right to ride roughshod over the land, we don't own it just borrowing it.

I eat meat - but try to ensure that they are not battery etc. It's all very well objecting to eating the 'little baa lambs' but it's unlikely they would be alive at all if we didn't value their food value.

ok    B-)

ps this really belongs on the 'global debate'

icelander - 2007-02-04 9:07 PM

Twooks Hi

We could give the world back to the animals - they have had a hard enough time courtesy of man - and in case anyone asks I have not eaten one for over 22 years!

Icelander - "I have not eaten one ...", is that a man or an animal? (Or in the case of some forum members one and the same thing!) (lol)

Archived