Is this the future?

Tracker

You're not reading the post properly chaps. The range of the vehicle will be dependent on the capacity of the petrol tank, not the batteries, so under normal conditions the electric motors drive the van with power coming from the petrol engine generator, with the motors taking only as much electric power as they need to make the required progress along the road, when more power is needed it will be drawn from the batteries, and when demand is low the generator will top up the batteries.

The petrol motor is not like the motor that is found in a 1000cc vehicle, it's speed is not in any way reflected in the speed of the vehicle, it is there only to charge the batteries.

For 1000 mile journey to southern Spain you would presumably need to make only 3 stops for fuel and your door to door time would be pretty much the same as it is with your present vehicle.

I sometimes wonder why people think I'm a Luddite, compared with some on here I could be a visionary

AGD

teflon2 - 2018-12-16 6:20 PM

Nowt clever in this back in the 1950s United dairies used an electric 3 wheel delivery cart to deliver our milk the round was about 25 miles and the cart started off with about 500 pints of milk aboard I never saw one that didn't return to the depot under it's own power as the power dropped so did the weight so it worked out well. (^)

The 3-wheel milk floats would have been made by Wales & Edwards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_%26_Edwards

I don’t recall ever seeing one in action, but I’m old enough to remember coal being delivered using a horse and cart.

Archiesgrandad - 2018-12-16 10:04 PM

You're not reading the post properly chaps. The range of the vehicle will be dependent on the capacity of the petrol tank, not the batteries, so under normal conditions the electric motors drive the van with power coming from the petrol engine generator, with the motors taking only as much electric power as they need to make the required progress along the road, when more power is needed it will be drawn from the batteries, and when demand is low the generator will top up the batteries.

The petrol motor is not like the motor that is found in a 1000cc vehicle, it's speed is not in any way reflected in the speed of the vehicle, it is there only to charge the batteries.

For 1000 mile journey to southern Spain you would presumably need to make only 3 stops for fuel and your door to door time would be pretty much the same as it is with your present vehicle.

I sometimes wonder why people think I'm a Luddite, compared with some on here I could be a visionary

AGD

This seems to be sum it up. I can't see any flaws with this design. It has a range of 300 miles before you need to buy petrol much the same as my current van. This not a massive money saver except it uses petrol rather than diesel but is a huge environmental saver. Also if you make smaller journeys and plug in then the range will be increased so saving money too. It also needs no new infrastructure like a hydrogen cell will need, the petrol stations are all there. You do not need to plug it in at all if you don't want to from what I understand.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-17 9:06 AM

teflon2 - 2018-12-16 6:20 PM

Nowt clever in this back in the 1950s United dairies used an electric 3 wheel delivery cart to deliver our milk the round was about 25 miles and the cart started off with about 500 pints of milk aboard I never saw one that didn't return to the depot under it's own power as the power dropped so did the weight so it worked out well. (^)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_%26_Edwards

I don’t recall ever seeing one in action, but I’m old enough to remember coal being delivered using a horse and cart.

His name was Ernie, and he drove the fastest milk cart in the west??

Andy&Lou - 2018-12-17 3:24 PM

I can't see any flaws with this design. It has a range of 300 miles before you need to buy petrol much the same as my current van. This not a massive money saver except it uses petrol rather than diesel but is a huge environmental saver. Also if you make smaller journeys and plug in then the range will be increased so saving money too. It also needs no new infrastructure like a hydrogen cell will need, the petrol stations are all there. You do not need to plug it in at all if you don't want to from what I understand.

Whilst I generally agree, as far as needing to plug in is concerned this has already been criticised, as many hybrids sold under government fleet subsidies have been returned without the charging lead ever being unwrapped, whilst private users will probably use it to full, those given them as company cars are not always interested.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-17 9:06 AM

Milk was in glass one pint bottles in them days and I well remember the very distinctive whine of a milk float (mostly 4 wheel racers) at full pelt (15 mph) between stops!

With coal you had the choice - 'coal de sack' or 'a la cart'

Didn't the expert engineers at Top Gear once create an elecric car from a milk float, probably the best electric car, in the world?

Archived