Support for remaining in the EU has rocketed

Bulletguy

The latest YouGov survey shows that, across the board, faith in Brexit is falling by the day. A people’s vote is now imperative.

For most of this year, polls have shown remain ahead of leave, typically by four to six points. But in a referendum between staying in the EU and leaving on the terms that the government has negotiated, staying enjoys an 18-point lead: 59-41%.

Few erstwhile leave voters now think Brexit will make life better. Yes we've long known they're a disappearing breed and only a few knuckle draggers left now.

All the signs are pointing to the public losing faith in Brexit fast. It’s clear we need a people’s vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/20/polls-stay-eu-yougov-brexit-peoples-vote

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-21 12:05 AM

The latest YouGov survey shows that, across the board, faith in Brexit is falling by the day. A people’s vote is now imperative.

For most of this year, polls have shown remain ahead of leave, typically by four to six points. But in a referendum between staying in the EU and leaving on the terms that the government has negotiated, staying enjoys an 18-point lead: 59-41%.

Few erstwhile leave voters now think Brexit will make life better. Yes we've long known they're a disappearing breed and only a few knuckle draggers left now.

All the signs are pointing to the public losing faith in Brexit fast. It’s clear we need a people’s vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/20/polls-stay-eu-yougov-brexit-peoples-vote

I'm not surprised Yougov polls say that *-) ..............

They went from asking my views on Brexit almost every week too nothing for months ;-) ............

I guess they didn't like my opinions :D ...........

For those on here who love to listen to what economists and those in the know predict for the UK after Brexit this is an interesting piece by Deutsche Banks top economist telling us what the future holds for the EU in the next 24 months ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1061975/EU-Deutsche-Bank-recession-David-Folkerts-Landau-brexit-France-macron-paris-protests ... Mmmmmm

I have long thought that the UK would do better in the real world without the burden of the EU but the more I see the calibre of our own civil service, political structure and politicians it does make me wonder if the whole UK government is unfit for purpose and has been for years?

To want to stay in the EU because you have no faith in the UK government's ability to run the economy and the country is hardly a vote of confidence for the EU but it is a very sad reflection on the state of government in the UK.

Which, I wonder , is the lesser of two evils?

Tracker - 2018-12-21 10:28 AM

it does make me wonder if the whole UK government is unfit for purpose and has been for years

At a very basic level I think that is the case, the “first past the post” system effectively disenfranchises a large part of the electorate.

I may not be successful, but at the next general election I shall be looking for PR in manifestos, and that will be a big part of my decision on voting, regardless of party.

I shall also be looking for very clear policies on EU, and just for good measure, some public involvement in policy development.

Snowie

Tracker - 2018-12-21 10:28 AM

it does make me wonder if the whole UK government is unfit for purpose and has been for years?

To want to stay in the EU because you have no faith in the UK government's ability to run the economy and the country is hardly a vote of confidence for the EU but it is a very sad reflection on the state of government in the UK.

Which, I wonder , is the lesser of two evils?

We run our own economy rather poorly imo and just one example of that can be seen on the other thread i opened. We are said to be the world fifth wealthiest nation fgs. I stopped watching live broadcast of our Budget years ago after getting sick of seeing the incessant bashing through punitive taxation of the less well off to benefit the better off. This was always met with the inevitable glee by those dishing it out. Very ugly and sickening to watch.

On a more local level i'll quote an experience i had with a prospective councilor chasing votes in my constituency. The tripe she came out with was staggering....."I intend to reduce the huge numbers of HGV transport using the main road through the village as a 'rat run' and end the danger they present to 'our' school children" read the blurb on her flyer.

I've lived here for 24 years and use that road every week (when working i used it every day). In that time i can count the number of HGV's i've seen pass through on the fingers of one hand.

So what planet did this clueless hopeful councilor come from? Not my village but another almost 20 bloody miles away.....she didn't even live here!

Her name and email contact was on the flyer so i emailed her because i knew exactly where the real traffic problem was and it was certainly not HGV's. I banged an email off to her explaining how she'd got it hopelessly wrong and was totally misinformed.

The serious problem is caused by a school at the end of the main road close to a bad T junction to a major road. Twice daily the village road alongside the school gets cluttered with cars doing the "school run" dropping off or collecting their little snowflakes too precious to walk more than a few feet and that's where the problem is which i told her she should be addressing. Get the little porkers walking fgs!!

She emailed me back...."well that wouldn't prove a vote winner". Oh brother! *-)

Bear in mind this is the calibre which with some will eventually end up with a seat in Parliament.

Regards the EU, we need to remain within and with a seat at the table to make any changes. You can't do it as an outsider or third country. But UK has to drop it's terrible habit of cherry picking and give a much more serious and pro-active commitment.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-21 3:23 PM

So what planet did this clueless hopeful councilor come from? Not my village but another almost 20 bloody miles away.....she didn't even live here!

So not a lot of migrants either Bullet? :-| .........

Nice to know you're preaching from a untainted pulpit *-) .........

Typical left wing bulletsh*t >:-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-21 6:41 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-21 5:49 PM

Typical right wing bulletsh*t >:-) ......

There, that's settled. :-D

Is Bullet right wing? 8-) .........

What the hell are you waffling about? Are you drunk again? *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-21 6:49 PM

So how many migrants are there in YOUR village? ;-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-12-21 6:51 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-12-21 6:49 PM

So how many migrants are there in YOUR village? ;-) .......

What relevance does that have to do with the post you initially replied to?

FGS put your Beano and booze away, sober up, then you might be able to make slightly more coherent postings.

Archived