Touring NZ in a modified School Bus

Will86

Sorry folks not me. It was on TV this am as one of the series "Living in the Wild" with Ben Fogle. Some of you may be able to recover the hour long programme with adverts.

An interesting insight into one mans 'get away from it all' dream' with a wife and 2 very small children. The lady was not impressed by the adventures but went along with it 'reluctantly' I thought.

It did show how a novel existence could be undertaken but in reality there were too many potential obstacles waiting to happen. NZ may also sound idyllic but there are rules as anywhere for off road parking plus the 9 ton bus weight.

I thought it emphased the importance of hiring first.

I only caught a little of the programme. My thoughts were that whilst they were living in a confined space the only thing of note was they come from a background where this might be seen as unusual, there are thousands in UK alone that live a similar lifestyle, go back a few generations in my family and they would be seen as having a small family in a large vehicle!

Did not see the programme but have seen their YouTube videos. We did a similar thing for a year in 1999 with our 2 year old daughter in the US. We bought an ex Cruise America rental RV and sold it before coming home. The van cost £5,000 between buying and selling and we spent £10,000 on top of that. It was a fantastic year with a very simple lifestyle and lots of hiking and cycling round the National Parks of the western US. We did 12,000 miles in total. It was a wonderful opportunity to spend some quality time together as a family with no work to get in the way but a year was enough and it was nice to get home (the money had run out anyway!). It did feel a bit risky at the time and took all of our savings (but we did come back with the money from the sale of the van) but it was definitely worth it. I don't think I could be bothered spending all of my spare time for a year converting an old bus though.

I believe I understand the trauma they suffered but they didn't seem to have any kind of aim in life....apart from having none!

This was most evident with the children.

With no timescale it all seemed a little odd?

I do hope they find what they are looking for if only for the children's future life.

PS. Watched it last night.

EJB - 2018-12-27 9:45 AM

I believe I understand the trauma they suffered but they didn't seem to have any kind of aim in life....apart from having none!

This was most evident with the children.

With no timescale it all seemed a little odd?

I do hope they find what they are looking for if only for the children's future life.

PS. Watched it last night.

I watched it last night too & agree they had no purpose other than to run away from the horror of the earthquake.

Apparently they stopped living on the bus in 2018 and are now moving away from New Zealand to Australia.

I would guess they ran out of places to run to in New Zealand after a year or so and now have "an exciting project" in Oz?

Archived