euro zone

derek pringle

I would imagine for many that would be akin to standing in the worlds largest "Dogs Egg" in your best socks.

As for getting the deal we want, thats the million dollar question, we still dont know what deal we want. If only people could just realise that the best deal possible is the one we have right now.

Thinking about it from my previous post, it appears that all EU countries will have to use the Euro by 2020.Does that mean that all you remainers are prepared to give up our currency , Stopping us from revaluing as needs be , and finnish up like Greece and Italy and Spain. ???

Brian B.

thebishbus - 2018-12-28 2:29 PM

Thinking about it from my previous post, it appears that all EU countries will have to use the Euro by 2020.Does that mean that all you remainers are prepared to give up our currency , Stopping us from revaluing as needs be , and finnish up like Greece and Italy and Spain. ???

Brian B.

You'd have to quote the source of that information, Brian, as my understanding is that the UK opt-out from the Euro (and Schengen, plus our budget rebate) is/are permanent, and were achieved via treaty change at the time each was introduced.

Those obliged to adopt the Euro are I believe those states that joined the EU after 2004 and have not yet adopted. The obligation was a condition of entry, to which they signed up, but with an agreed stay on adoption pending economic harmonisation.

It was only this month confirmed by the ECJ that should the UK revoke its Article 50 notice of withdrawal from the EU, all existing opt-outs etc. would remain in force.

thebishbus - 2018-12-28 2:29 PM

Thinking about it from my previous post, it appears that all EU countries will have to use the Euro by 2020.Does that mean that all you remainers are prepared to give up our currency , Stopping us from revaluing as needs be , and finish up like Greece and Italy and Spain. ???

It always made sense Brian but time warp UK couldn't get their heads around not having a picture of the Queen on a note or coin. Oddly enough you'd find many of those folk resisting it were hardly Royalists but that's typical of obtuse stubborn 'Britishness'!

No more costly currency exchanges.....brilliant for touring!

This year i was using eight different currencies which was a right pain to keep on top of. Some EU countries such as Romania, Bulgaria and Poland use both their own and Euro though you can't expect to walk in a village cafe and pay in euros, nor can you expect to on campsites. Many c/sites now also work only in cash so you need the country currency.

When the Greek economy went tits up there was an interesting report on C4 news. Matt Frei spoke to some German citizens and posed the question if they were to choose between going back to the Deutsche mark or retaining the Euro, what would they choose. Without hesitating all chose to stay with the euro.

Archived