Going Abroad this Spring

StuartO

This link may be of interest

https://www.remaininfrance.org/uploads/3/4/9/1/3491737/driving_licences_faq.pdf

Section 9 reads as follows

9) What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

UK residents visiting you in the EU may need to get an IDP (or two) and carry it in addition to their UK licence. These will be available at Post Offices in the UK. There are two types - Each is governed by a separate United Nations convention - dated 1949 and 1968.

IDPs issued under the 1949 convention will be valid from the day of issue shown on the front of the document. IDPs issued under the 1968 convention before 28 March 2019 will be post-dated to become valid on 28 March 2019 when the convention comes into force, and then from date of issue. This is because 1968 convention IDPs are not valid for use until the 1968 convention is in force for the UK. If you already have a 1949 convention IDP you can continue to use it in all countries in which it applies (including EU countries) for as long as it remains valid. However, from 28 March 2019, when the 1968 convention comes into force for the UK, that convention will govern the arrangements for driving in most EU member states, plus Norway and Switzerland. In the EU, 1949 convention IDPs will only be valid in Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and Spain after 28 March 2019."

StuartO - 2019-01-09 10:28 AM

Billggski - 2019-01-08 5:01 PM

The dog passports aren't checked on the way out, but on returning to the UK. My question is whether the systems will be in place to process the vetenary forms that will be required to return after brexit as my vet, for one, has no idea what will happen.

This is one of the things which might change if Brexit actually happens on 29/3/19 and the EU (or the French) decide to be awkward. If the EU decides to treat UK as a Third Country, a more stringent set of anti-rabies requirements kick in, effectively requiring revaccination and then testing for successful vaccination, which was not previously required. UK isn't likely to make any changes to the requirements for re-entry to UK.

Stuart, one question I had was what happens to all those pets that have been out if the UK over winter and return after 29 March. I seem to remember on another thread that it was confirmed that such pets would simply be allowed to return under the 'old' rules.

We have not been able to take our winter trip from December yo match as usual but, if things work out, we hope to perhaps go from February to April instead.

David

I believe this is the most recent Govenment guidance on pet travel post-Brexit

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

The “Return to the UK” section states

There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Earlier guidance (now superseded) is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Archived