Ducato X250 fuel filter leak

snowie

Steve928 - 2019-01-27 4:10 PM

...I think that I've now done 4 filter changes (on this and the previous van) using the correct tool and without issue thus far...

Steve

As you use the recommended tool to hold the filter-unit when replacing its cartridge (and I’m certain that you have an accurate torque-wrench) do you tighten the clamping-ring to 30Nm or to a different value?

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-28 4:26 PM

Steve

As you use the recommended tool to hold the filter-unit when replacing its cartridge (and I’m certain that you have an accurate torque-wrench) do you tighten the clamping-ring to 30Nm or to a different value?

I torque it to 30Nm, Derek, using a Norbar 8 - 54Nm wrench.

Hi. Just a little extra background on these filters....

On the Euro4 and later Euro3 Fiat ducato there was a plastic filter housing in green with a black top. The PSA engines (2.2) had a completely black housing and while at a glance they seem similar, the connection points for the fuel hoses are slightly different. You cannot put a Fiat unit on a Peugeot because it will not fit. The black ones that fit the PSA appear to be more robust but my knowledge of this is limited.

The Euro5 Fiats have a metal canister filter and these are no trouble at all.

The Euro6 Fiat and PSA vehicles have a heated fuel filter assembly that is entirely different. Is is of aluminium construction, has a lid secured with allen screws and the whole assembly has to be removed in order to change the element. It will take a bit longer to do the job and will be a little messy but this should be reliable. A complete new heated filter assembly will set you back £250 or so if you ever need one but i doubt if anyone will.

N

Archived