smell of burning. on first start up

Mark Wilkes

Mark, I suspect one of two situations.

Firstly a leak in the exhaust system At the rear of your engine, actually a Ford engine, as used in Transits of the same period, there is the exhaust manifold, an attached turbocharger and below the turbocharger, a catalytic converter/particulate filter. Followed by a flexible section of exhaust pipe. A small crack or faulty connection in these units could vent exhaust smoke. As the engine runs rich at start up perhaps you are seeing this.

The other culprit could be the alternator as this lives at the rear on the engine. There is usually a short period of large current flow after starting and a fault in the alternator or its connections and feed cables could create the burning smell and smoke.

I would thing any oil leak would be more apparent when the engine is hot.

Mike

Mark Wilkes - 2019-01-24 2:34 PM

finally the mystery has been solved it is a leaking catalytic converter so much for a cheap fix. £350 later and hopefully all will be OK for a while now. Thank you all once again.

Ouch , joys of motoring, so glad my van does not have a Cat..look on the bright side though,now you have peace of mind and that is priceless.

A smell of burning and a puff of smoke. It all depends on how one interprets the situation. A 12 year old engine will have all manner of muck stuck to it. Do you have its history of where it was kept ? maybe one of the owners was a farmer ?

How long have you owned it and do you regularly look under the bonnet to see whats there. If you're that bothered about it take it to a garage. and ask their opinion. There are too many questions to provide an answer

Archived