Discrimination

monique.hubrechtsgm

This seems to have been blown out of all proportion?

It seems to me that Monique did not set out to offend Derek and probably Derek did not set out to offend Monique, but as so often happens on a forum comments get taken too literally or out of context or mistaken and a spat blows up from nowhere.

Sometimes threads do become endless and boring and there is nothing wrong in saying so if that is how you feel!

Likewise if you disagree there is nothing wrong with saying so!

Life is too short to take offence for long so hopefully Derek and Monique will settle down and normality - whatever normality is - should return?

And we all live happily ever after!

It's a fact of life that e-mails and their immediacy can sometimes result in comments being sent before they are subjected to er.....mature consideration. Additionally unlike a face to face conversation there is no facial expression or body language to help understand or temper a comment.

In a past life I once got an e-mail from a colleague so extreme and out of character that it shocked me but it was just how she felt in the moment.

It is not for me to act as a referee but I think Moniques comments (in general) may be affected "translation" and she should not be frightened off by a one-off. Hopefully she does get something out of the forum and I certainly have over many years and from some stellar and generous contributors of which derek is one.

Derek is a contributor who takes vast care in researching his contributions and his life and career (which he has hinted upon very occasionally) would suggest a very professional and discerning person.

So IF he has erred this time he is most certainly due some indulgence.

And Monique don't be discouraged !!

Google translations are not foolproof, as can easily be proved by writing in language A, translating to language B, and then copying the language B translation into Google and asking it to translate back to language A!

Even with a person doing the translation instead of a machine, even if face to face, there are subtleties and nuances in languages that do not easily translate to other languages, and colloquial expressions that have no direct equivalence.

Google translate is a brilliant achievement, and it endlessly improves, but it only gives an approximation of what was intended as the message.

Overall, I agree that Monique should not place excessive reliance on what she gets back from Google in (I assume) Flemish when the original was in (sometimes less than correct) English, or on how her native inputs translate into English via Google.

She must have noticed how often disputes and misunderstandings arise among us (ahem :-)) native English speakers on various topics, so it is necessary to allow a large margin for mistranslation when using machine translation technology.

Don't be discouraged, Monique, blame the translation.

Just to extend this lengthy and boring post,I too wondered why Monique was interested in this forum,so I thought Dereck’s reply was accurate and not impolite. Having reread Monique’s first post on this thread I still don’t understand it. Anyway we all have our own opinions.

But D ozzel have been getting a bit wound up recently lets hope Monique don't stop away any longer than he did

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-09 11:34 AM

Fair enough - you’ve convinced me that participating on this forum is a waste of my time, so this is my final posting.

Archived