Philips closes UK plant....430 jobs gone

Bulletguy

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-22 5:17 PM

pepe63 - 2019-01-22 11:09 AM

malc d - 2019-01-22 10:38 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-01-21 11:22 PM

Anyone got any bright ideas ideas if we get these wonderful trade deals what we are going to flog em as there will be no fecker left to make anything by the time Foxy gets around to signing countries up.

I think you'll find that most of the people who are saying " don't worry WE will be making deals all over the world " - they don't actually mean that THEY will be making deals all over the world - they are just hoping that someone else will.

:-|

Yes..it's along the sames lines as those without jobs, mortgages, and/or sons/daugthers with jobs, mortgages etc, all bravely spouting how THEY would welcome a "hard" brexit.

RE; Philips.

It may've already been mentioned but their Cheif Exec' Frans Van Houten warned of this last year,-

"The firm has previously warned that Brexit would put Britain’s status as a manufacturing hub at risk.

Chief Executive Frans van Houten last year said that without a customs union - which has been ruled out by Prime Minister Theresa May - Philips would have to rethink its manufacturing footprint."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-philips-restructuring-eu/philips-to-close-its-uk-factory-in-2020-with-loss-of-400-jobs-idUKKCN1PB1ZZ

But hey, what does he know....

Whilst not every company that relcoates will be the solely down to Brexit, if companies have benefited from the UK being in an easy trading environment (the EU), and with some of them having relocated to the UK because of it, then it's bleedin' obvious that the UK leaving that said environment will have a day to day impact on them,and the decisions their bosses make..

It'd be just nonsense(though predictable) for some to claim otherwise.

Bib....nothing according to the forums resident tax dodging ex-pelmet maker. *-)

Who's dodged tax? ;-) ...........I said I didn't earn enough to pay any :D .........

Bulletguy - 2019-01-22 5:10 PM

747 - 2019-01-22 12:44 PM

I suppose the German workforce were a bit miffed when Volkswagen moved a lot of manufacturing to Eastern Europe (with cheap labour) and also took over the Skoda brand.

That's how you run a Business. Manufacture spare parts cheaply and sell them at eye watering prices (not much profit in selling vehicles).

VW's Wolfsburg plant is the worlds largest car production factory with 21,000 employees so i don't see they have much to be "miffed" about.

21,000 eh?

But for how much longer? Bit of a slowdown in European car production at the mo.

Perhaps around 17 Million people have decided to buy Japanese or Korean for some reason? :D

747 - 2019-01-22 11:31 PM

I suppose the German workforce were a bit miffed when Volkswagen moved a lot of manufacturing to Eastern Europe (with cheap labour) and also took over the Skoda brand.

That's how you run a Business. Manufacture spare parts cheaply and sell them at eye watering prices (not much profit in selling vehicles).

VW's Wolfsburg plant is the worlds largest car production factory with 21,000 employees so i don't see they have much to be "miffed" about.

21,000 eh?

But for how much longer? Bit of a slowdown in European car production at the mo.

Perhaps around 17 Million people have decided to buy Japanese or Korean for some reason? :D

Almost 29,000 at the Ford plant in Cologne. The only "slowdown" they might concern themselves over is an idiotic little island hell bent on self destruction.....so just move their engine and gearbox plant out to Germany with the loss of yet more jobs in the UK.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-22 11:48 PM

747 - 2019-01-22 11:31 PM

21,000 eh?

Almost 29,000 at the Ford plant in Cologne. The only "slowdown" they might concern themselves over is an idiotic little island hell bent on self destruction.....so just move their engine and gearbox plant out to Germany with the loss of yet more jobs in the UK.

Your Comrades know what's going on ;-) ............

"The European auto industry is systematically utilising low wages in eastern Europe to slash wages across the entire continent. They are increasing the tempo of outsourcing to eastern Europe and China, eliminating jobs in western Europe"

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/04/09/germ-a09.html

I wonder if VW, Daimler, Citroen, Ford, Peugeot, Hyundai, Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Suzuki etc etc are blaming Brexit for moving production from Western Europe.....ie... Germany, France, Belgium, Italy etc etc? *-) ...........

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/19589798.pdf

"Growing share of production volumes accounted for by Eastern Europe

countries and Germany

The global downturn was accompanied by a radical transformation in the geography of the

automotive industry. Eastern Europe became a major European production centre, with Eastern

European countries (plus Turkey) going on to account for 25.8% of all vehicles made in Europe,

versus 9.9% in 2000 (cf. Figure 1).

The move eastwards came from a scissors effect marked by higher output in the East versus general decline in the West."

Its been going on for over 20 years!..... so kinda proves you Remaoners are just spouting more anti Brexit guff :-| ...........

Archived