Phones abroad

Dickybeau

I note that a regulation was placed before Parliament today revoking the right to use your phone abroad under the existing arrangements whereby charges are the same as your home country. I’ve not seen the regulation myself on that it has been reported on social media. I wonder if anyone can recommend data cards from France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands or Belgium that I can use in my mifi unit that is currently tied to the Three network?

If anyone has access to Hansard it might be useful to understand the exact content of the new regulation.

I seem to recall a newspaper article recently discussing charges after Brexit, and Three was one of the firms that said they were committed to maintaining the availability of roaming in the EU at no additional cost after Brexit. Vodafone have also announced this. I took note of this because I also use Three for my mifi.

Might be worth talking to Three before you make other arrangements.

Regards,

Three and Smarty are the only two that have committed themselves to maintain roaming after brexit.

This article is the most up to date I've found on the matter.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/02/mobile-firms-not-ruling-out-roaming-charges-after-brexit/

Brexit, eh? Still, can't grumble, I think about all the poor buggers who are going to suffer if the price of food goes through the roof.

rael - 2019-02-07 7:30 AM

Three and Smarty are the only two that have committed themselves to maintain roaming after brexit.

This article is the most up to date I've found on the matter.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/02/mobile-firms-not-ruling-out-roaming-charges-after-brexit/

Brexit, eh? Still, can't grumble, I think about all the poor buggers who are going to suffer if the price of food goes through the roof.

....and none of the rest are planning to reintroduce roaming charges.

This article encapsulates the issue neatly https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/07/mobile-roaming-charges-return-no-deal-brexit-europe-8463390/

Basically, if the operators incur additional charges then they reserve the right to pass them on to the consumer. However data charges will still be limited by UK law to £45 per month. Three (and it’s subsidiary Smartie) have ‘committed’ not to introduce roaming charges. The others simply ‘have no plans to’, which of course could result in anything.

In the UK, even in remote areas, my Three signal is a load of brown stuff when compared to my wife's EE signal and my work Vodaphone. As others have stated Three's no roaming charges policy was in place before the EU legislation and covers many countries outside the EU. The only reason I haven't switched is that I'm waiting to see happens post Fiasco.

Archived