Is there room for a more considered post about Tusk and Co?

Archiesgrandad

pelmetman - 2019-02-10 3:48 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-09 6:38 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-09 2:31 PM

malc d - 2019-02-09 2:00 PM

1) Since the EU was formed there have been no wars between member states.

Dunno how long that claim will last once they let the Balkans in 8-) ........

Eh? :-S

Bulgaria joined over 12 years ago, Slovenia 15 year ago, Romania 12 years ago, Greece 38 years ago, Croatia 6 years ago, Lithuania 16 years ago, Latvia 15 years ago, and Estonia 15 years.

They haven't let in the trouble makers yet have they? :D ...........

No....so far they've managed to keep you out.

Balkans - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

The Balkans are usually said to comprise Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia.

Key word is 'usually said'.....there are actually twelve in total.

https://sofiaadventures.com/balkan-countries/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. It is a pity you didn't ask Harvey Heaven for some reliable quotes to support his post. You obviously have never heard of the intelligence alliance of the USA,Canada,Australia,New Zealand and GB. My reply obviously did not suit your remainer agenda

Regards

Realist

Realist - 2019-02-10 11:43 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. It is a pity you didn't ask Harvey Heaven for some reliable quotes to support his post. You obviously have never heard of the intelligence alliance of the USA,Canada,Australia,New Zealand and GB. My reply obviously did not suit your remainer agenda

Regards

Realist

I don't think FVEY is anything to be proud off, spying on one another's citizens and sharing the collected information with each other in order to circumvent "restrictive" domestic regulations on spying. You know the sort of thing that pesky European Parliament's Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs released a draft report in 2014 which confirmed that the intelligence agencies of New Zealand and Canada have cooperated with the NSA under the Five Eyes programme and may have been actively sharing the personal data of EU citizens.

PS. You failed to mention 14 eyes, obviously doesn't suit your brexiter agenda.

You are kidding of course, are you saying that the EU do not have an intelligence bureau collecting information on prospective terrorists etc. Harvey Heaven mentioned in his post that after Brexit the Eu would not share any information. So which is it ,they do have an intelligence services or they don't. Please make up your mind

Realist - 2019-02-10 11:43 PM

Regards

Realist

Sorry, but I don't see how Five Eyes is a response to the points you made regarding the EU. It exists now, and would presumably be unaffected by us leaving, as none of the other members are in the EU.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-11 12:06 AM

I don't think FVEY is anything to be proud off, spying on one another's citizens and sharing the collected information with each other in order to circumvent "restrictive" domestic regulations on spying. You know the sort of thing that pesky European Parliament's Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs released a draft report in 2014 which confirmed that the intelligence agencies of New Zealand and Canada have cooperated with the NSA under the Five Eyes programme and may have been actively sharing the personal data of EU citizens.

PS. You failed to mention 14 eyes, obviously doesn't suit your brexiter agenda.

Yet you'd vote for a Communist? 8-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-10 8:54 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-10 4:0

Our plan is to become a sovereign nation once again B-) ............

So, do you want parliament to decide or is it the will of the people?

Define "sovereignty" please.

Only if they're prepared to carry out the wishes of the electorate ;-) .........

Or else we are no longer a Democratic Sovereign nation *-) .........

Hi Fast Pat, I'm not sure what you mean as the 14 eyes is just an extension of the 5 eyes group. Unfortunately spying is here for ever you, GB suffers it in all the high streets nowadays.

I do have some questions which would answered.

1/ The EU is run by 27 appointed commissioners who initiate legislation then pass it on to Parliament to consider. The one problem with that is they cannot reject it but only make minor changes. Is this good for democracy. Answer yes/ no

2/ Is it reasonable to move the parliament to move every month from Brussels to Strasbourg, which is another concession to France surely this has to end.

3/ What are the chances of the EU banning the European Cup as it is too nationialistic. That surely will happen

Realistsome day

Realist - 2019-02-12 12:05 AM

Hi Fast Pat, I'm not sure what you mean as the 14 eyes is just an extension of the 5 eyes group. Unfortunately spying is here for ever you, GB suffers it in all the high streets nowadays.

I do have some questions which would answered.

1/ The EU is run by 27 appointed commissioners who initiate legislation then pass it on to Parliament to consider. The one problem with that is they cannot reject it but only make minor changes. Is this good for democracy. Answer yes/ no

2/ Is it reasonable to move the parliament to move every month from Brussels to Strasbourg, which is another concession to France surely this has to end.

3/ What are the chances of the EU banning the European Cup as it is too nationialistic. That surely will happen

Realistsome day

In response to your comment on Five Eyes above: yes, but it is surely better to have the added inputs from within the EU member states as well? Why throw away that?

In response to the above:

1 There are currently 28 commissioners. Yes, in the interests of consistent drafting, they initiate legislation but they can also be asked by the Parliament or the Council to commence doing so and, if so asked, they cannot refuse. The Parliament can reject, or amend, proposed legislation. The Parliament or the Council must adopt proposed legislation before it is enacted. I think your information may reflect the position before the 2007 Lisbon Treaty and is now out of date. I hope you didn't vote leave on that basis!

Three "Wiki" explanations for you:

Commission: http://tinyurl.com/y5v3acem

Council: http://tinyurl.com/y42yhoyg

Parliament: http://tinyurl.com/hypvx6j

Answer: yes or no - depending on which part of your question is being answered. :-D

2 The dual locations of the parliament are an anachronism, and will probably be ended at some point. Men wear silk tights at Westminster. IMO that pointless flummery should also be ended. I don't see either as a reason to leave the UK, or the EU.

3 Pure supposition, and irrelevant to continuing our membership (or any other serious matters). Football is a game: get over it.

Let's see if I have this right. The remainers voted to be governed by 56 commissioners/ councillors of which 2 are Britons ,one who has to swear allegiance to the EU project and the other your Prime Minister. You have no say on the other people who have control over how Great Britain is managed Surely the British can do much better.

I only mentioned the football as a long term perspective ( you should loosen up)

Er no, I'm afraid you have most of that wrong. Look again at the Wiki links I gave. You've only skimmed them. You'll need to read them right through to understand the structure. Britain is governed from Westminster (not that we seem to have much "say" on what they do), not the EU. I'm well loose, thanks, I just don't find football either relevant or interesting. :-D

Britain is indeed governed by Westminster as Brian has explained but given the last two years performance from what can only be described as a government and an opposition that is simply not fit for purpose I would actually question if it should be. Maybe we would do better if we were totally governed my Europe.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-13 12:39 PM

Britain is indeed governed by Westminster as Brian has explained but given the last two years performance from what can only be described as a government and an opposition that is simply not fit for purpose I would actually question if it should be. Maybe we would do better if we were totally governed my Europe.

Correct ;-) ............

They implement the rules that come from the EU and the ECJ *-) ..............

Archived