Fiat Ducato problems of timing belt when it has frozen has formed

Carole Gandy

Just reading this thread reminds me why I hardly bother with this forum now.

Why is it that people like Rupert 123 still feel the need to be so confrontational and frankly insulting. On other forums that sort of impolite posting would be banned. By all means have an opinion but there is no need for rudeness.

I had a 2008 Ducato which was extremely difficult to drive, not only with juddering but also a switch-like clutch. Juddering was minimised with the reverse ratio change and the clutch replaced so that it became normal. To reverse as originally built would have required excessive and damaging clutch slipping because the ratio was substantially higher than first gear - something like 18% from memory. With the original clutch, slipping was virtually impossible and mine was a 3500kg motorhome, - much heavier vans were significantly more problematic. That was what was belatedly recognised by Fiat as being an inherent design defect

To infer that people like me can't drive just annoys me and I imagine many others. Fiat will have dealt with probably thousands of these warranty claims around the world but no one will have any idea of the numbers so to suggest it was a trivial issue is entirely misconceived.

As for the contention that Fiat have sorted out the scuttle leak design with the X290, this is patently untrue. Mine (2018) leaks like a sieve and whilst the design has been improved many, mine included, suffer from poor sealing of the windscreen seal which is down to distortion of the plastic moulding. A search on other forums will find this is still a problem with water leaking over engine block and electrics. So it has not, as asserted "been quickly sorted out"

This forum is supposed to be helpful and I'm sure many, particularly newcomers, are so put off by the "know-it-all" comments they don't post for fear of being shot down in flames. Just being a "Forum Master" doesn't make you right.

roger20 - 2019-02-11 7:51 PM

Why is it that people like Rupert 123 still feel the need to be so confrontational and frankly insulting. On other forums that sort of impolite posting would be banned. By all means have an opinion but there is no need for rudeness.

I had a 2008 Ducato which was extremely difficult to drive, not only with juddering but also a switch-like clutch. Juddering was minimised with the reverse ratio change and the clutch replaced so that it became normal. To reverse as originally built would have required excessive and damaging clutch slipping because the ratio was substantially higher than first gear - something like 18% from memory. With the original clutch, slipping was virtually impossible and mine was a 3500kg motorhome, - much heavier vans were significantly more problematic. That was what was belatedly recognised by Fiat as being an inherent design defect

To infer that people like me can't drive just annoys me and I imagine many others. Fiat will have dealt with probably thousands of these warranty claims around the world but no one will have any idea of the numbers so to suggest it was a trivial issue is entirely misconceived.

As for the contention that Fiat have sorted out the scuttle leak design with the X290, this is patently untrue. Mine (2018) leaks like a sieve and whilst the design has been improved many, mine included, suffer from poor sealing of the windscreen seal which is down to distortion of the plastic moulding. A search on other forums will find this is still a problem with water leaking over engine block and electrics. So it has not, as asserted "been quickly sorted out"

This forum is supposed to be helpful and I'm sure many, particularly newcomers, are so put off by the "know-it-all" comments they don't post for fear of being shot down in flames. Just being a "Forum Master" doesn't make you right.

While you have your view I am entitled to mine. If my remarks were aimed at a particular person I agree insulting but they were not and I stand by them. Your own comments on gear ratios show a basic misunderstanding of modern vehicles. Back in the day when we had only three gears then yes reverse was lower than first, now with six speeds this allows for a much lower first gear so is no longer so. If you care to do a proper check you will find vans like the transit had a gear ratio much the same. As I said a very small portion of Fiats sold have had problems, I have never disputed this but as by far the most popular van base they were a small percentage and manufacturers continue to use it. Both Fiat and the motorhome makers would both have long been out of business if people took much notice of the exaggerated moans on forums. just trying to put some realism into this. As i said I to had a 2008 X250 and had none of the problems you did, how do you explain this, it was bought new so no modifications were ever done. So what makes you opinion more valid than mine, surely any newcomer wants a balanced view.

rupert123 - 2019-02-11 8:32 PM

roger20 - 2019-02-11 7:51 PM

As i said I to had a 2008 X250 and had none of the problems you did, how do you explain this, it was bought new so no modifications were ever done.

The answer to your question is that you were just lucky. Thousands of people are burgled at home but those that aren't don't claim that it's not an issue - they count themselves as lucky. My current Fiat is less than a year old yet I can't lift the bonnet within 48hrs+ of it having rained because I know that if I do the engine is going to be smothered in water from the engine breather/air intake or whatever it is. It's simply a bad design that Fiat have never got to grips with.

ron. - 2019-02-13 1:07 PM

The answer to your question is that you were just lucky...

Rupert123’s 2008 X250 had the Ford-derived 2.2litre motor and 5-speed gearbox.

When fiited to a relatively compact, relatively lightweight motorhome, this powerplant/transmission combination seems to have been less prone to the juddering phenomenon than Ducatos with the 2.3litre motor and 6-speed gearbox, but (as will be seen from Steve928’s posting of 30 January 2014 10:03 AM here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Reverse-judder-clutch-problem-all-Sevel-models-/33863/

2.2litre/5-speeders were not immune.

(Regarding water cascading out of the mouth of the cab heater’s underbonnet intake (arrowed in photo below) - Yes, this happens and I suppose a DIY drain-tube could be fitted to get rid of the lake that forms at the front of the intake.)

23982102_FIATDUCATOX290-Underbonnet.jpg.a94ddecc11ed084340e9f4ff0b999a45.jpg

Archived