New restrictions for motorhomes

Deffheads

Just to let all you ' wild campers' know that the town of Calpe has introduced a ban on motorhomes parking in the street after 20.30. I fully respect this decision as most of you pay good money to own a motorhome but want to live like travellers, I know all you old timers are used to stopping anywhere, but Spain has had enough of all nationalities parking outside or in their towns lifting manhole covers and not contributing to the local economy.

sshortcircuit - 2019-02-12 5:02 PM

I agree with your sentiments but "not contributing to the local economy.", what do they eat?

We have come across many street parkers who boast how little they have spent in Spain by filling their vans with UK products. Why? Everything is better value in Spain. Live like the locals not like Brits!!

I feel sorry for the couple who travel down to Calpe in their motorhome and stay in a hotel for their holiday and have for the last 10 years parked the van outside the hotel on the road. They are no longer permitted to do that, even though they do not live or sleep in it. It is the end of their annual stay in Calpe. Obviously they will not pay site fees and hotel fees to comply with this new law. Some you win, some you lose.Sadly for this couple they are heavy losers *-)

DJP - 2019-02-12 9:29 PM

I feel sorry for the couple who travel down to Calpe in their motorhome and stay in a hotel for their holiday and have for the last 10 years parked the van outside the hotel on the road. They are no longer permitted to do that, even though they do not live or sleep in it. It is the end of their annual stay in Calpe. Obviously they will not pay site fees and hotel fees to comply with this new law. Some you win, some you lose.Sadly for this couple they are heavy losers *-)

Motorhome storage in Spain is good value at 50 euros a month, I for one do not feel sorry for this couple as they may decide to park outside a residential property and upset the locals even more.

Deffheads - 2019-02-13 8:09 AM

DJP - 2019-02-12 9:29 PM

Motorhome storage in Spain is good value at 50 euros a month, I for one do not feel sorry for this couple as they may decide to park outside a residential property and upset the locals even more.

I agree and if they want to continue holidaying in Calpe (which we like very much) then they should be able to find cheap winter flights at not much more than the cost of driving a MH from the UK.

I think it's a very good thing (have witnessed it first hand a couple of years ago when it was really bad) but is only possible now that the new sites have been completed. Pitch availability is getting worse in popular areas (even in UK) and so far authorities have been slow to react to the increase in demand.

I certainly hope this helps to get other areas more involved in seeking out solutions.

David

DJP - 2019-02-12 8:29 PM

Their obvious solution is to go there by car - they could park that in the hotel carpark.

:-|

The issue of wild camping ( called free camping in this part of the world) is also a hot topic locally. The well used east coast tourist route has over the years become more difficult to find somewhere to free camp due to the authorities banning the activity. Away from the coast there are many locations to free camp legally and is many cases the local councils encourage it by offering toilets, BBQ's and water for a small donation. This then encourages the traveller to spend money in the town on food, fuel etc. There is also growing support for the "leave no trace" concept as promoted by the campervan & motorhome club ( CMCA). It is a great idea to ensure you leave the area as you found it. Maybe that would work in Spain. Cheers,

Guest pelmetman
DJP - 2019-02-12 8:29 PM

I'm not convinced that's correct ...........As the idea is to stop people sleeping in their vans ......Not stop them parking :-S ..........

Archived