Water on French Aires

Richard J

Guest pelmetman
Steve928 - 2019-02-21 5:24 PM

With regard to double-male connectors for use with those bornes that have a female socket, pictured below is one of my prize possessions. It is adjustable and allows you to tame the sudden burst of water pressure from anything between zero and full (Whale-hose-exploding) bore. I can't seem to find them online any more but should you come across one then it's a worthy addition to anyone's connector collection.

Ooooh.......I have male connector envy :$ .......

Just some additional info.

The water is often turned off on many, mainly rural, Aires because of potential frost damage any time between October and March.

Most Custom built Bornes have a grate within a few metres of the outside tap.

Look around for a grate, usually metal, and lift it up (screwdrivers come in handy), move to one side and look inside for a tap.

If you see one, get down on your hands and knees and turn the tap on.

Fill up your tank.

Make sure you turn the tap off and replace grate.

Smile to yourself for job well done.

:-D :-D :-D

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 8:22 AM

With regard to double-male connectors for use with those bornes that have a female socket, pictured below is one of my prize possessions. It is adjustable and allows you to tame the sudden burst of water pressure from anything between zero and full (Whale-hose-exploding) bore. I can't seem to find them online any more but should you come across one then it's a worthy addition to anyone's connector collection.

I’ve not come across the product shown in Steve’s posting’s photo, but (if you’d like a BIGGER version) the one in this advert might suit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kingfisher-IT608-Inline-Hose-Tap-Green/710457610

Other variants available if you dislike green...

http://tinyurl.com/y52ymacd

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-23 9:03 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 8:22 AM

I’ve not come across the product shown in Steve’s posting’s photo, but (if you’d like a BIGGER version) the one in this advert might suit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kingfisher-IT608-Inline-Hose-Tap-Green/710457610

Other variants available if you dislike green...

http://tinyurl.com/y52ymacd

Not wishing to boast ;-) ..........I have a double :D ...........

Very useful now I have two water tanks to fill B-) ..........

279347561_Tapimage.jpg.eb49d06609f8e8bc1fa76dc1a4b4341f.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-23 1:27 PM

No, but they have unusual genitalia.

Cant say I've ever been that close to a Roo's genitalia to notice :D ..........and I've been around a bit 8-) .........

I'm kinda getting a insight into what you folk at GHQ got up to in between times 8-) .........

I get the feeling you were like us folk in the forces ......but without the uniform B-) ..........

Hre is my collection of water bits and pieces. Some are in the category "that might come in useful one day" but others I found very useful.

A quick description of each -

A) Is the standard 3/4" to Hoselock adapter used on probably 90% of Aires that I have come across. I prefer to use the brass one as it is quite easy to get the plastic ones cross threaded. I carry a spare for when (not if!) you drive off and forget about the adapter.

B) Is the standard 1/2" reducing ring. Probably needed 5% of the time. Again the brass one lasts a bit longer.

C) 1" adapter that I have only used once or twice.

D) Converter for tap fitting. Used once or twice.

E) Male threaded 3/4". Never used it yet

F) Open hose to 3/4" male thread. Used with 3/4" female to Hoselock. Can do similar thing with a standard hose fitting, but this one allows for various hose diameters. Only used a couple of times if no other solution is found.

G) Standard male-male adapter for extending hoses with Hoselock fittings. Used quite often as I carry a short (5m) hose and a longer 20m both for potable water (blue)

H) Spray head for occasional wash down (only when permitted!). Also useful to get dirt off rear view cameras.

I) and J) Many Aires have spring loaded taps that you need to hold down quite firmly. These clamps (or a few odd cable clamps) can help hold the tap down while filling. They are also quite handy to have for other purposes.

Definitely in the "might come in handy one day" is my submersible pump to Hoselock hose that I made this year.

The only taps that have defeated me are the ones that have a very short, squarish and smooth outlet. These must be designed deliberately so that you cannot fit a hose on them. My thoughs were that I can fill up a bucket and pump it into the van over a short distance. Backup solution is watering can but my van has a hoselock inlet so this might be quicker to use.

As others have said, some disinfectant wipes are also essential for many places.

water_fittings.jpg.26bc7df8c7ede00cb49543637746a40a.jpg

pump.JPG.f7406e19e9a1f2a792440c16cebbbca5.JPG

Guest pelmetman

No joke ;-) ...........

But I have found in the past a walking stick and a bit of string useful for a push button tap :D .......

Having taken on contaminated water from a French Aire (which looked perfectly OK) I now always draw a glass full of water first and get my wife’s sensitive nose and palate to decide if it’s OK. Still a mystery what the bad water was but it had an oily taste and it took a lot of effort to get rid of it and clean the tank.

We use tank water for cooking, washing and showering and I once suffered a terrible episode of Novovirus after showering with tank water which smelled a bit drainy because the campsite owner got me to fill using his hose pipe - I’ll never do that again either!

Archived