Solar Panles, Aircon and Generators

TheEscapist

aandncaravan - 2019-03-25 12:20 PM

With Lithium being such a high energy material, it will burn with a ferocity we have not seen often.

Even if the risk were low, the consequences of that would still be horrifying in the 'Tinder Box' of a motorhome.

As a post script this may be of interest, a Bloomberg article providing a real world illustration of what happens when a vehicle lithium-ion battery ignites https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-25/tesla-fires-what-first-responders-don-t-know-about-fiery-evs?srnd=premium-europe - in essence the fire fighters could not extinguish it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone

We are finalising the set up of my motorhome.

At the point of the electrical schematic.

I attach my simplistic diagram showing things how I'd like to understand them.

Can I have your input on the details needed here to ensure everything is et up correctly with the correct equipment.

Thanks

Paul

1108421701_CarthagoLinerforTwoSchematicSmall.thumb.jpg.a519df1a21f3c96ee468ae9c58927baa.jpg

TheEscapist - 2019-03-28 8:13 AM

Hello everyone

We are finalising the set up of my motorhome.

At the point of the electrical schematic.

I attach my simplistic diagram showing things how I'd like to understand them.

Can I have your input on the details needed here to ensure everything is et up correctly with the correct equipment.

Thanks

Paul

To be useful I think your installers need to supply a wiring schematic showing the components and how they propose to wire them in. The devil’s in the detail.

BruceM - 2019-03-28 12:16 PM

To be useful I think your installers need to supply a wiring schematic showing the components and how they propose to wire them in. The devil’s in the detail.

If it helps to understand what I’m suggesting, this is the very high level schematic of my solar installation.

VanSolarOverviewSchematic.jpg.6f7d9b594cc17ce210d9111cc63c1250.jpg

BruceM - 2019-03-28 11:36 PM

If it helps to understand what I’m suggesting, this is the very high level schematic of my solar installation.

Thanks Bruce.

BruceM - 2019-03-28 10:36 PM

Bruce, that is certainly a step in the right direction, but I would go even further and ask for the following to be documented.

1) wire sizes for critical cables

2) wire colours

3) bypass and blocking diodes documented

4) location of fuses (and type)

5) cab!e routing (where it is not obvious by inspection)

I would be quite happy for some of this information to be supplied after installation as it is only useful for future modifications or maintenance work.

Most of the above is easy to document on the schematic. Describing cable routing is a bit more tricky, but I would just give each wire a 'cable bundle number' and just add a note to say how this bundle is routed behind panels, cupboards etc.Obviously only where necessary.

I also have a Votronic mppt 250 duo and I added a 2A fuse to the starter battery as I could not see any other means of protection for this wire. I don't know what is inside the Voltronic though so this is just a precaution.

plwsm2000 - 2019-03-29 11:46 AM

Bruce, that is certainly a step in the right direction, but I would go even further and ask for the following to be documented. . . .

Aha!, a person after my own heart. I absolutely concur. I suspect a lot of installers will by default just provide the installation information sheets that came with the newly installed kit.

I think the challenge for Paul is that, correct me Paul if I’m wrong, he wants a best in class installation for his solar/generator/aircon and like many of us is consequently facing a steep learning curve if he wants to be a position to be sure that that is what he’ll be getting. So to some extent he is having to trust his installers to be professionally competent enough to do as he requests. This is in a climate where I suspect many installers are used to buying in generic kits and installing them as quickly as possible and according to the generic installation instructions.

My previous solar installation probably fell in to that category. It bypassed the EBL , the regulator was questionably sited and what they’d done on the roof is another story.

I look forward to hearing the response from Phil’s installers if he requests a schematic of the proposed installation – I would imagine it’s not something they’re often asked for.

Archived