Going to Europe, is it worth it

Wilf

Charles - 2019-03-10 5:16 PM

I wouldn't bother with Cuba, my sister and husband went a few years ago, they wouldn't go again because of all the local peasants pestering them for money relentlessly.

Think she said they didn't regret going, but wouldn't go again.

A guy i used to work with visited three times and loved it. I'd just like to get a feel of the culture before it's westernised. The bars, the music, the food, the old American cars, cigar factory etc.

The Rolling Stones did a concert there three years ago. If like me you're a music fan, this dvd is well worth watching. More a documentary on all the Latin American countries they toured than just a concert. Keith Richards is a huge fan of diverse cultures and well educated too.

Full concert at Havana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6I4qo6gfMs

Charles - 2019-03-10 12:23 PM

We go to Benidorm every year. After you've been there, every other resort is crap. Like an inferior smaller copy.

Not interested in cheese, culture, mountains, monasteries etc. But that's just us, everyone is different fortunately. Whatever you do, enjoy it B-)

PS slowly building my Spanish vocabulary up, I do try ??

Hi, in Benidorm now, how do find a Spanish person to speak too?

Wilf - 2019-03-09 7:38 PM

Call me a Meldrew if you like. But what are YOUR real thoughts if you dare print them!

How do you measure the worth of an experience?

-----

Brian

A good experience is priceless!

A bad experience is worthless and best avoided again.

We have been travelling around Europe for two months a year for the last twenty five years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. But this year is different NO EUROPE FOR US!!! Brexit has caused so much uncertainty and confusion we think we'll wait till the dust settles. This year we can't be bothered, we haven't toured around the UK for many! many! years so it's time for a change. With all the uncertainty and confusion I'm totally P____d Off!!!

The money in my wallet is mine and it's ME who decides how I spend it, not politicians; either British or European. Should I be charged for all the extra expense that I will incur with Brexit; Green card travel insurance, Personal travel insurance, International Driving Licence etc.????

Wilf - 2019-03-11 1:32 PM

. This year we can't be bothered, we haven't toured around the UK for many! many! years so it's time for a change

. With all the uncertainty and confusion I'm totally P____d Off!!!

( Aren't we all ! )

If you intend "touring " in the U.K. - in it's true sense of wandering at will - I wish you luck.

There are some great places to see - and I only hope you manage to see them without booking too far in advance !

Happy touring.

;-)

Tempted to just say 'Yes!'

Biaised because we live here? Maybe, but our experiences when we took our' camping car' to the UK put us off for life. Crowded roads, no Aires, expensive campsites, appalling weather and losing a mirror to a mad truck on the first day. Never again, and yes, we do know there is some wonderful scenery and history. There's history here too.

The UK is so unfriendly to motor homes that I wonder why people bother!

Perhaps the Continent is the 'Garden of Eve' which motorhomers can enjoy for €3 for three months. But nobody has mentioned they had a rib nicked when asleep, or the evil serpent, or a strange woman was foisted on them, or the undesirable fruit. We're quite happy living in the jungle in Britain where we can afford £1200 for a week's stay in a clearing with caravanners. Perhaps we enjoy overcoming all those nasty problems that seem to exist when motorhoming in Britain although we'll have to find them first.

I'm being tongue in cheek.

The important point is to enjoy motorhoming whether it is on the Continent or in Britain. For most of our early years, the Continent was the place to be with the children. Now we are retired our place is Britain, where motorhoming is just an aid to pursue our other hobbies rather than an experience in itself.

its all about the exploration and the journey, you have a motorhome so why wouldn't you use it in as many places as you wish and all at your own pace. I must admit I am pro continent, because of the ease of getting there, the fact you usually don't need to book, and the general facilities, it has so much more to offer than the uk and I haven't mentioned the weather lol.

I am not saying that i have been everywhere as I tend to find places I like and use them frequently, current favourites are Annecy France, Mosel Germany and Switzerland both summer and winter. I am not saying there are no others, just haven't visited them yet.

• 1 year later...
I assume by Europe you mean the mainland over the channel. Well worth it. So much easier than the UK, plenty of van friendly stops, so much to see, booking not usually required unless you are heading for a popular coastal resort or a city with limited sites. Great to stumble on the unexpected, be it a festival, art gallery or whatever. Last summer we toured Netherlands, Denmark and southern Sweden (cash not popular there, card payments preferred). Often used pitchup.com to book ahead for the next night or two very efficient and cheaper than the UK. Found interesting sites in great locations. Think I read somewhere in this forum that the "rule of 2s" is a good idea - 200 miles, arrive by 2, stay 2 nights to give yourself time to relax and see the local places of interest. Generally seems a good idea unless you really need/want to get to a destination quickly. Finally do enough research on main destinations to make sure that you stay long enough. We could have done with longer in Copenhagen and Gothenburg.

Archived