JRM Admits UK has a lot of influence as an EU Member

Barryd999

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 6:59 PM……………………………….

Reality is ;-) .......What Germany wants.....Germany gets *-) .......

BTW I suppose JRM got Merkel & Macron to sign this accord? >:-) .......

"STRASBOURG — German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday endorsed the creation of an EU army"

https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkel-emmanuel-macron-eu-army-to-complement-nato/

Alternatively, look here for a more informed take: http://tinyurl.com/y7wwbdao

You're being frightened by party-political nightmares, again, Dave! - :-D

Note also that the UK has already signed up to the core of the idea, which, loosely, could be described as a sort of European mini-NATO, intended to work with (and not supplant) NATO in Europe, and to replace some of the aspects of NATO from which Trump has decided to withdraw American support/funding.

It actually makes sense in that form, leaving the decisions on when and how to engage with the individual states (which it recognises the EU cannot do), while also encouraging greater harmonisation of hardware to allow greater flexibility in deployments across borders, so that weaponry and parts etc can be swapped around as necessary.

But, a European "Army" it is not.

Fast Pat - 2019-04-07 8:12 AM

747 - 2019-04-06 7:00 PM

Fast Pat - 2019-04-06 1:05 PM

747 - 2019-04-06 1:01 PM

The Veto proposal has not been scrapped.

It has been 'shelved'.

Source please?

Originally mooted in 2000.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2000/dec/04/emu.europarl (from the remoaners Bible).

17 years later:

https://euobserver.com/institutional/139630

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-tax-digital/eu-commission-aims-move-to-reduce-governments-veto-powers-on-tax-idUSKBN1CT2FC

Will it ever go away?

If anyone believes in Unicorns, it is yourself.

;-)

So twenty odd years and we still haven't been able to scrap it?

It's almost like we have a veto against the veto?

NO. In twenty years it has not gone away. Slowly, slowly catchee Monkey. Those sly b******s in Brussels will get their own way eventually.

And as for Brians comment re the EU Army ... I fully agree with POTUS Trump (I never ever thought I would say that 8-) ). Europe has never been so much at risk since 1939.

747 - 2019-04-07 5:48 PM.............................And as for Brians comment re the EU Army ... I fully agree with POTUS Trump (I never ever thought I would say that 8-) ). Europe has never been so much at risk since 1939.

So, what then should Europe do? Attend to its own defence, or rely in the US for its defence?

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-07 6:03 PM

747 - 2019-04-07 5:48 PM.............................And as for Brians comment re the EU Army ... I fully agree with POTUS Trump (I never ever thought I would say that 8-) ). Europe has never been so much at risk since 1939.

So, what then should Europe do? Attend to its own defence, or rely in the US for its defence?

Rely on what has worked for the last 70 years. ;-)

747 - 2019-04-07 6:29 PM

That takes us back to the end of WW2. An awful lot has changed since then!

I assume you are referring to NATO as our main line of defence, but the US is not happy that a number of European states are not pulling their weight, and has said it is no longer willing to act as indefinite back-stop for those who are not contributing adequately.

It has also said it will withdraw from the INF treaty, which raises the risk of nuclear strike in Europe, which is judged to necessitate a European response. Under those circumstances, relying on 70 year old protocols seems highly unwise. Changed circumstances demand changed responses, do they not?

Barryd999 - 2019-04-05 12:28 PM

Shown his true colours

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s Company Accounts show £103M profit over last 5 years, but paid ZERO UK corporation tax as ultimate ownership in Cayman Islands. No contribution for schools, hospitals, roads, defence, public services, welfare etc. No wonder he is keen to avoid new EU tax laws. Any more Brexiters beginning to see how they have been conned by liars .

Fast Pat - 2019-04-07 8:20 PM

Shown his true colours

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s Company Accounts show £103M profit over last 5 years, but paid ZERO UK corporation tax as ultimate ownership in Cayman Islands. No contribution for schools, hospitals, roads, defence, public services, welfare etc. No wonder he is keen to avoid new EU tax laws. Any more Brexiters beginning to see how they have been conned by liars .

Drill down through all of them that are pushing for the most damaging Brexit and you will find similar.

Even Loathsome.

https://i.postimg.cc/WpG69ZPG/IMG-6784.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-07 6:46 PM

747 - 2019-04-07 6:29 PM

That takes us back to the end of WW2. An awful lot has changed since then!

I assume you are referring to NATO as our main line of defence, but the US is not happy that a number of European states are not pulling their weight, and has said it is no longer willing to act as indefinite back-stop for those who are not contributing adequately.

It has also said it will withdraw from the INF treaty, which raises the risk of nuclear strike in Europe, which is judged to necessitate a European response. Under those circumstances, relying on 70 year old protocols seems highly unwise. Changed circumstances demand changed responses, do they not?

And exactly in which way would Europe respond to an attack?

A conventional war would see Europe overwhelmed in days by vastly superior Tanks, airpower and troops on the ground. Europe has no valid threat that would put off an intended aggressor.

Now you tell me how we could either prevent or come out the winner in a war (either conventional or Nuclear).

Guest pelmetman

Shown his true colours

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-run-councils-in-12m-tax-avoidance-sefton-warrington-njjj27xf2

Hypocrites *-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-04-08 7:57 AM

Shown his true colours

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-run-councils-in-12m-tax-avoidance-sefton-warrington-njjj27xf2

Yes, all of them. In both instances they are using tax avoidance schemes. The motives might be a little more palatable in the case of the councils, though.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-08 12:51 PM

Shown his true colours

Yes, all of them. In both instances they are using tax avoidance schemes. The motives might be a little more palatable in the case of the councils, though.

Stupidly there is a requirement on the legal advisers of Local Authorities of all colours to ensure that any such deals are done in the most cost effective way. If they didn't they could end up being sued for losses following a change of controlling party in an election.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-08 12:51 PM

Shown his true colours

Wait until Corbyn gets in Brian ;-) .........

Then you'll discover it wont be the rich buying back British Rail :D .......

It'll be folk like you.......Coz all the really Rich people that Farty Pants and Co hate will have already left (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

Even us common folk with a bit of common sense and a few quid will be leaving the new United Kingdom of Venezuela 8-) ................Enjoy >:-) ........

Archived