Sliding door handle

ChrisCM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-04-23 11:04 AM

ChrisCM - 2019-04-23 7:54 AM

Thanks Gram, that’s exactly what I had in mind, I agree Derek, it is strange that this isn’t a standard fitment in all PVCs!

Chris

Thinking about it a bit more, I suspect that the reason the Symbol has the handle and matching trim-panel is that Auto-Sleepers builds it on a posh ‘window van’ base, (ie. that has glass side-windows as original equipment), while the Aztec starts life as a (humble ;-) ) panel van with a metal body that Devon cuts holes in in order to fit double-glazed acrylic side-windows.

My Sussex (Marquis Warwick) is built on the 'posh window van' and doesn't have an interior handle. I fitted my own on the window sill (later ones with blinds can't do that).

Another hypothesis bites the dust...

The ‘logic’ was attractive, as any vehicle designed with a sliding side-door and intended to carry passengers (eg, a mini-bus) will need to have that door closed from inside the vehicle and fitting a substantial internal handle would faciltate that. A similar vehiclel, but intended to be a delivery van, will normally have its sliding-door opened and closed from outside the vehicle and there would be less need for an internal handle.

Dunno - perhaps there was a Boxer specification change between 2009 and 2010 that involved the internal handle being dropped - or just Symbol models of that era had the handle? A poll of ASOC forum members might shed more light.

I notice that the finger-trapping capability of the handle fitted to a 2010 Symbol was discussed on the ASOC forum in August 2018 (photo below).

handle.jpg.c9303fa610ebe2bfeaf54d6ea4132329.jpg

I find undoing the catches on the sliding door window so that as the door is slammed shut there is a release of air pressure. Seems to work as not loosening the window does seem to getting a good contact so that the Central locking will operate more hit and miss.

I am somewhat surprised that there may be some difficulty in closing the sliding side door on PVCs. The side door is our principal means of entrance and exit. The cab doors are rarely used. It does require a firm shove to close the door, but unless the contacts are dirty, I have yet to encounter problems with the central locking not operating.

However I do notice that the closed rolled metal garage door rattles, when the van door is closed. I suspect that the excess air pressure inside the van escapes via the large Heki skylight, as well as via the cab door vents. (Being an IH Tio R we do not have rear doors.)

Our X244 Ducato sliding door has two cone shaped locating pins, with matching sockets on the front pillar. These pins and sockets were not well aligned initially, and some judicious adjustment was made, so that the pins centre in the sockets at the point of engagement. To obtain a good line of sight for the upper pin a step ladder was used outside the vehicle. If the sliding door is hard to close, it could be worth checking the adjustment of the pins and associated sockets.

Alan

Archived