Autocruise water-tank filling

Derek Uzzell

Pointless posting pictures at the res for 100mb so here's a link to the hardest part of the job, getting down to the tank and drilling the 52mm hole for the filler pipe the whole job took less than 16 minutes, I have some matching 3mm ply so another 52mm hole in that and it'll look like it's always been there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eo6kcsztilshil5/AACc4D2jh4WoqRojLmqTAlbMa?dl=0

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've fitted the filler in the van wall now too, I just need a tank fitting to finish off, looked at the Cak Tanks "NISF050 50mm Skin fitting with nut", but as usual the description and picture reveal very little, so you have to ring and deal with some snotty sod, so I'll go to my local plumbers merchant tomorrow, who is actually glad to be helpful.

You seem to have made a fair job of the filler, where is your tank ? Is it underslung or inside the van ? On my Starburst the water tank was under the sink furniture. Is the blue pipe an overflow ? Surely the tank already has one ? Good job so far.

It's in the center of the van between the chassis rails, under the floor and insulated, it's in the picture link, I think it does have a breather, dunno about an overflow, you'd think so, but as the inlet has the facility to fit another breather (blue pipe), I'll utilise it.Shame it's just a paltry 80 litres though, hardly enough for our lasses daily tea habit *-) *-)

Alibaba - 2016-10-02 2:22 PM

otherwise can anyone tell me the secret of getting the the latest post on this site, I get an email, click it and it takes me to page one of the thread, I then have to click last, and scroll down, which does seem a tad archaic compared to other MoHo sites I frequent.

This (improved!!??) system has been the way MMM have done it for quite a while now. I could never work out why they want to make you manually go to the end, as I would have thought for most of us we have kept tabs on the earlier comments anyway if we have an interest in that subject.

I don't know if anyone from the MMM techy side ever reads these comments, but perhaps the moderator could pass this on to whoever need to see it and take action!!!

(At least its better than the CC Forum, where they don't even to bother advising you if an update has been posted!)

Forums are designed for the forum owners generally, as it's easier, but this has to be the least well enabled one I use, you even have to opt into the smileys in the control panel.

The membership doesn't seem to post very much either, makes you wonder if it's here only to shut us up, it all looks very amateurish though.

Still it's here and provides some sort of service, but a revamp and more functionality looks to be decades overdue.

Just sayin like :) :)

I note that you registered on the Out&AboutLive forums in 2014, so some background may be of interest.

The first (motorhome) forum Warners provided was a simple thing and only open to subscribers to MMM magazine - this would have been around Year 2000. That forum (unsurprisingly) had a very small user-population and posting-eligibility was soon extended to MMM readers via a ‘code' printed within the magazine.

This was better, but as the user-population still remained quite small (not that many motorcaravanners were internet-familiar then) and tended to be motorhome-literate, boredom began to set in amongst the more active participants.

In 2005 the Out&AboutLive forums were introduced, free to join and open to anyone who wanted to. Conceptually the O&AL forums were/are based around the Warners ‘leisure’ magazines and the underlying software hasn’t really changed significantly over the last 10 years.

I don’t know how many ‘active’ O&AL forum participants there are, but the number is probably quite small. As long-term participants will have seen it all (usually many times) before, it should be anticipated that they will rarely post proactively, reserving their postings to reacting to inquiries. Although the O&AL forums are arthritic old dogs regarding functionality, my opinion is that the motorhome-related ones at least provide a unique level of in-depth technical advice not found on the more glitzy bigger-population forums.

As long as the small core of ‘experts’ (perhaps no more than a dozen) are prepared to continue to participate on the O&AL forums, I can’t see Warners spending money on a replacement forum system. I don’t think a significant revamp would be practicable, so if the ‘experts’ get fed up I can see the forums folding.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-10 10:22 AM

. Although the O&AL forums are arthritic old dogs regarding functionality, my opinion is that the motorhome-related ones at least provide a unique level of in-depth technical advice not found on the more glitzy bigger-population forums.

As long as the small core of ‘experts’ (perhaps no more than a dozen) are prepared to continue to participate on the O&AL forums I can’t see Warners spending money on a replacement forum system.so if the ‘experts’ get fed up I can see the forums folding.

That seems to sum it up well enough and if the forum is to prosper new and experienced members will be needed to supplement and eventually replace the longer term contributors as they leave for whatever reason.

So to all those watching quietly from the sidelines, please do come join and join us as although a few harsh words are sometimes spoken in disagreement the water is warmer than you think and the forum is generally a friendly place where good and lasting friendships can be forged.

There really is no substitute for knowledge gained by experience.

This silly little job is requiring a lot more effort than I thought, had to get my neighbour to assist me yesterday to put the tank fitting in, my arms were not long enough to be inside and out at the same time :( :( bench front in the way, could have removed it but didn't, also the tank hole is bang up against the bench wall so I'll need to slightly heat up a length of 41mm pipe so it'll just bend enough to get it in the fitting, then I'm not sure whether to use some 41mm 45 degree waste pipe bends or not, it'd just make it look a bit better, annoyed I had to go the Been & Queued to get a 2m length of pipe go 6 inches Grr, I threw all my stock of plumbing pipe away, kept the fittings though :) :)

Still getting error message every time I reply.

Okay, job done apart from fastening the pipe clamps up, making a cover plate for the hole out of matching 3mm ply, got, cutting a slot in the carpet & the tidying up and then drying and giving the fresh tank a good clean out as no way to avoid debris falling in doing this job, I'll use a T towel to get as much water out as poss, then leave it a week or so with the top and drain out (drain is a slack fit and drips, can they be mended or replaced???) then attack it with the vacuum.

So all told a normal fit person, with everything to hand could do this in 2 hours easy, probably one now there's a rough guide.

Earlier and additional pics in the link below in chronological order.

Alibaba - 2016-10-10 11:22 AMThe message I keep seeing says :-

"forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk says:
Mozilla < 1.3 Beta is not supported!
I'll try, though, but it might not work."

I'm not on Mozilla anyway.
I’m guessing that you are using a Mac and have the "Use rich edit box when composing messages?” option in your Control Panel set to “Yes”.If you change the option to “No” you should not get the Mozilla-related message (though you'll then lose the ‘rich edit’ functionality).

All tidied up, vacuumed, Water and blown air pipes secured, job done knees and hands killing me now though.

I filled the tank in about 5 minutes to see how much faster it was, about 20 mins saved at least, and I don't have to carry a container several times, or worry that the submersible pump might pack up, 20l container will be filled and the old method used to top up the tank if needed :) :)

Final picture added.

NEXT 

Alibaba - 2016-10-11 9:40 AMNo PC win 10 on Chrome Derek, will look in options to see if I ticked something, I was trying to change my sub title, but couldn't find it or my signature.

Smileys have gorn orf too.
Dunno then, but the Mozilla ‘warning message’ appears if I choose “Yes” for the "Use rich edit box when composing messages?” option in the Control Panel (which gives me some formatting/colour facilities) and doesn’t appear if I choose “No” (which is the default). I’m using a Mac and Safari and I’ve assumed (obviously wrongly) that this is why I get the Mozilla message.If by “sub title” you mean the peculiar addend beneath the user-name on a posting (in your case “Liking what I’ve found” beneath “Alibaba”) this is ‘awarded' to a forum-member based on the number of messages they have posted. More information about the infuriating things herehttp://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Stalwart/41776/I don’t have access to your Control Panel data, but the problem with your ‘signature’ may be due to how the signature-related options are set in your Profile. The “Enable emoticons” option on a posting seems able to untick itself sometimes but, as I abhor ‘signatures’ I’m not famiiiar with how these are applied (or not applied!)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-10 10:22 AM

As long as the small core of ‘experts’ (perhaps no more than a dozen) are prepared to continue to participate on the O&AL forums, I can’t see Warners spending money on a replacement forum system. I don’t think a significant revamp would be practicable, so if the ‘experts’ get fed up I can see the forums folding.

There won't be a revamp of the existing forum software - it's too old, I am pressing the case to have a completely new, modern forum with far more facilities.

• 2 weeks later...
Duncan MMM - 2016-10-12 10:26 AM
Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-10 10:22 AMAs long as the small core of ‘experts’ (perhaps no more than a dozen) are prepared to continue to participate on the O&AL forums, I can’t see Warners spending money on a replacement forum system. I don’t think a significant revamp would be practicable, so if the ‘experts’ get fed up I can see the forums folding.
There won't be a revamp of the existing forum software - it's too old, I am pressing the case to have a completely new, modern forum with far more facilities.

Not before time IMHO, it looks like Windows 3.1 in here :) :) :)

Archived