Electric bikes

dawki

We have just bought a couple from JE James in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. The sales guy was brilliant and not at all pushy. Explained absolutely everything, had a test ride on a couple of bikes before settling on Cube hybrids. If you are ever up this way they are well worth a visit and have an excellent range of manufacturers.

bodach - 2019-06-01 5:41 PM

Helmets are not compulsory in the UK and if you want to start a fight on a cycling forum just mention h——t and stand well back. At best the evidence in favour is doubtful. I have never worn on and never will. Some flimsy overpriced polystyrene is all they are but if it makes you feel comfortable by all means waste your dosh.

I don’t enjoy wearing a helmet either, but I do. Just speak to an NHS physiotherapist about their work in rehabilitating head injuries.........

My grandson fell off a child’s scooter and ended up being airlifted to a head injuries hospital with a depressed skull fracture aged 4 years. Mercifully ok after treatment.

It’s easily done. What price £35 for a Halfords helmet, compared with having your ventilator switched off?

It may not be your fault in the accident, it may be the inattentive car driver, but you’ll come off worse, and so will your family who has to care for you.

Cycling is not a dangerous activity unless you choose to make it so. It is simply marketing hype to sell helmets to say otherwise. Go to Netherlands or Germany for example where there are many more cyclists but virtually no helmets for everyday use.

bodach - 2019-06-02 8:54 AM

Cycling is not a dangerous activity unless you choose to make it so. It is simply marketing hype to sell helmets to say otherwise. Go to Netherlands or Germany for example where there are many more cyclists but virtually no helmets for everyday use.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/04/for-the-first-time-more-cyclists-are-killed-on-the-dutch-roads-than-people-in-cars/

My son in law is a serious cyclist, proper MAMIL.

A cat ran into the group he was with a few months ago, he broke his hip but also smashed his helmet. The A and E said he could have been a vegetable without it.

What is it with these "no helmet" people?

(Motor cyclists used to be known as "organ donors" before compulsory helmets)

Touring in Holland last year, I had to very quickly get used to the right of way cyclists use, especially at junctions where I was turning right, Even if the junction was controlled by lights, if I was turning, I had to give way to cyclists travelling up my inside and going straight on. I became aware of this dangerous system very quickly after one near miss.

So I am not surprised by the figures offered by the Dutch.

No-one chooses to make cycling dangerous, unless they are an idiot, but you have to consider that other road users can be idiots. The results of an accident, even a minor one, can be life changing, as I have dealt with on numerous occasions. Wearing a helmet - I suppose it's down to what price you put on your napper.

Flyboyprowler - I don't seem to be able to post a link.

Our dog carrier came from Amazon.fr but there is an apparently identical one on Amazon. uk. Search for 'bicycle dog carrier' and you should see one with a wicker basket and a white cage on top fitting sideways at the back of the bike. About £52. Our 7kg Yorkie cross fits comfortably.

The frame under the basket bolts to cross straps which go under the rear carrier. There wasn't sufficient space on our bikes so I simply made ones of the right length to go under the battery from threaded rod from the local DIY. Seems as though most people have this problem on e-bikes.

Seems to work well, but I have to remove it to fit on our rear rack. Using wing nuts make this easier.

bigjohnthecat - 2019-06-01 6:29 PM

They say that the battery’s last up to 40 miles!

But there are various variants of these bikes !

I have a 500w battery on mine and it has done over 50 miles - with plenty to spare.

As you say, there are plenty of variants so it's a question of what you intend to use it for - pottering about locally - or longer trips.

My conclusion is that I can now go at least twice as far as I did on my mountain bike - with a lot less effort.

:-|

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-06-02 1:55 PM

Flyboyprowler - I don't seem to be able to post a link.

Our dog carrier came from Amazon.fr but there is an apparently identical one on Amazon. uk. Search for 'bicycle dog carrier' and you should see one with a wicker basket and a white cage on top fitting sideways at the back of the bike. About £52. Our 7kg Yorkie cross fits comfortably.

The frame under the basket bolts to cross straps which go under the rear carrier. There wasn't sufficient space on our bikes so I simply made ones of the right length to go under the battery from threaded rod from the local DIY. Seems as though most people have this problem on e-bikes.

Seems to work well, but I have to remove it to fit on our rear rack. Using wing nuts make this easier.

Many thanks, our little feller is 8 kgs so that should work well.

Bodach. I understand and respect your opinions on the wearing of cycle helmets.

I have just returned from Holland after three weeks’ cycling in different areas. This will have been the third consecutive Dutch cycling holiday we’ve had.

I agree that the average Dutch cyclists rarely use helmets unless they are on fast racing type bikes.

The Dutch people, however, are brought up on bikes from a very early age and have the twin advantages of cycling on dedicated cycle tracks where no cars can strike them, and having an awareness in adulthood of cycling and cyclists, when they become car drivers. This explains in greater part why there are comparatively fewer cycling related accidents there.

Here in the UK, we have neither the comprehensive system of cycle tracks duplicating and complementing our road system, nor public car owner awareness and tolerance of cyclists because we are not educated in the same way as the Dutch. Indeed, there are untold instances of ‘road rage’ inflicted upon cyclists by car drivers here, pretty much unheard of in Holland.

I feel much safer and more relaxed cycling in Holland than here, but I still wear a helmet.

And as for the cyclists I see here on holiday in the Highlands on the narrow main roads on their recumbent bikes cycling at ground level, I regard them as foolhardy in the extreme, dicing with death in the holiday traffic. Why would anyone put themselves in so much danger, to say nothing of the sheer unpleasantness of breathing HGV diesel fumes. Organ donors indeed.

The Dutch people, however, are brought up on bikes from a very early age and have the twin advantages of cycling on dedicated cycle tracks where no cars can strike them, and having an awareness in adulthood of cycling and cyclists, when they become car drivers. This explains in greater part why there are comparatively fewer cycling related accidents there.

The Netherlands has roughly 1/4 of UK population, but twice the number of cyclist die on the roads, so 8 times the death rate for cyclists, a lot of this will be due to the numbers using bikes, but with the number of 'proper' cycle paths you would expect a lower rate. In my opinion there are two reasons for this high rate, firstly most cyclists just think they are invulnerable and assume that as they have right of way can ride straight in front of cars without even looking, the second is few wear helmets.

colin - 2019-06-02 10:31 PM

The Netherlands has roughly 1/4 of UK population, but twice the number of cyclist die on the roads, so 8 times the death rate for cyclists, a lot of this will be due to the numbers using bikes, but with the number of 'proper' cycle paths you would expect a lower rate. In my opinion there are two reasons for this high rate, firstly most cyclists just think they are invulnerable and assume that as they have right of way can ride straight in front of cars without even looking, the second is few wear helmets.

Given the innate safety of the Dutch cycle path system, it is reasonable to suppose that pretty much all accidents occur at road junctions where pedal powered transport meets the internal combustion engine (excluding spills by fast bikes/youthful antics). Even after three months using their system I’m still not quite sure who gives way, and under what circumstances. As a van driver I hope I’m doubly cautious at junctions, but we all have the occasional lapse. It is my experience however that the average Dutch driver is far more tolerant and patient with bike riders.

Speaking to my Dutch friend he told me that if a bike-related accident occurred, it seemed (to him) that the car driver was always presumed to be in the wrong.

I would think you are right about the junctions, I just give way, and when cycling am cautious at crossings, but I've seen many cyclists ride across without looking, it's all very well automatically blaming the car driver (which seems to be the law in Netherlands) but little good to you when you are dead.

The funniest thing I saw was a cyclist come straight out a side turning in town 'shared' street without looking, into the path of another cyclist, we had been following him for several miles and not once did he look at a junction.

colin - 2019-05-31 3:24 PM

rupert123 - 2019-05-31 3:11 PM

We have two, both sold by Woosh. Please ignore people who say you must have crank drive and spend loads of money. If you take a look at the pedelecs forum you will see that rear wheel drive with a good motor is in fact better for most people. To say they will not climb is pure nonsense but you do need a decent motor. I have used mine in the alps and the Pyrenees and I am not very fit. A lot of climbing using maximum assist will run the battery down quicker so a big battery is essential if you intend to do this. As someone has said you need to give some idea of budget and type of bike required before more specific advice is given.

As I posted the wheel size for a hub drive is critical, a standard sized touring wheel with hub drive will stall the motor on a very steep hill.

Not sure what you mean by standard touring wheels. Mine were 700.

rupert123 - 2019-06-03 9:36 PM

We have two, both sold by Woosh. Please ignore people who say you must have crank drive and spend loads of money. If you take a look at the pedelecs forum you will see that rear wheel drive with a good motor is in fact better for most people. To say they will not climb is pure nonsense but you do need a decent motor. I have used mine in the alps and the Pyrenees and I am not very fit. A lot of climbing using maximum assist will run the battery down quicker so a big battery is essential if you intend to do this. As someone has said you need to give some idea of budget and type of bike required before more specific advice is given.

As I posted the wheel size for a hub drive is critical, a standard sized touring wheel with hub drive will stall the motor on a very steep hill.

What are the specs for the motor on your bike?

A telling question would be to enquire how many who have gone e-bike have chosen to give it up and go back to just a conventional bike; I know none.

After two years ownership my advice if wanted is leave the credit cards at home when going on you first test ride, then force yourself to try a couple different models. I am sure any on first ride would be seductive, but they vary quite a lot so explore how others suit you first then buy.

A big plus of the crank drive system is it just like you has the advantages of whatever gear range is built onto the bike; hub drives don't and its maximum torque is all it can ever give you. Thats not an issue on the flat for you nor a hub drive, but come to demanding hills both you and the motor can benefit with having gears.

These things are heavy, explore how well you can cope with that manhandling and at low speed.

Whilst big size batteries go big distances, if you have access to recharge regularly do you need to pay the premium for a large battery, and live with its extra weight?

Another factor to take into consideration is after sales service. We bought Kalkhoff German bikes via the firm 50Cycles. Brilliant spec, bomb proof I thought,- a bike for life!. German Impulse crank motors. Turns out they have an inherent design fault with bearing failures commonplace. This was three years ago. My wife’s bike has had a motor replaced under warranty (2 years). Mine is starting to creak after only 1500 miles.

Guess what- 50 Cycles no longer deal with Kalkhoff and have moved on to other makes with more reliable and commonplace Bosch motors, or Yamaha.

Furthermore I stay in the Scottish Highlands, and the nearest service from 50 Cycles is inLoughborough so just a wee problem with any repairs needed!

Having said that, on the road they are superb, and we’ve both had a lot of fun on them in our late sixties.

You can cover a lot of ground with an electric bike.

Before you commit your hard earned cash, do a check on any known problems with the make and model and motor online. I wish I had in retrospect.

colin - 2019-06-04 10:17 AM

rupert123 - 2019-06-03 9:36 PM

What are the specs for the motor on your bike?

High torque Bafang SWX02 17AH battery.

Archived