France speed limits

Keith T

I saw an item in the Telegraph recently that the reduced limits introduced last July were being withdrawn, and it now seems up to the locality whether the limit is 90 kph or 80 kph on certain roads.

Anyone over there now, or been in the last few days got any experience or further information about this....is it simply going to be what the sign ay (or maybe not!!) on any of these roads??.

I;m going over in a few days and would like to be prepared!!..

Keith, we've been here five weeks now - down through eastern France to Provence and started back up through the Midi Pyrenees and Limousin.

Contrary to the information I had before we left in April most, if not all, the roads we have used (avoided motorways most of the time) have had new signage at 80kph. Interestingly, where a road becomes double carriageway for a short distance (usually on a hill) it is signed 90kph at the start and back to 80kph at the end - even if the 'opposite' side of the road is single carraigeway. For the most part, many of the speed cameras were covered up.

I have to say, especially using D roads, I find the lower limit quite relaxing - have pulled in when easy/safe to do so if a couple of vehicles are behind just out of courtesy. After all, I am in holiday, they pribably aren't.

Enjoy the trip.

David

Archived