Another Brexit MEP moaning.....

Bulletguy

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-07-03 9:46 AM

Birdbrain - 2019-07-03 5:59 AM

Got to say its quite shocking the wolves have turned on a new member ... Its not the first time either ... Disgraceful behaviour actually

Not really. Mr Funster came on here with one intention. To troll one of our members. Some of the comments he has made and one in particular to me are quite disturbing. He has lowered the tone of what is normally a "fun" and respectable forum (lol)

I would rather be having a civilised debate like the kind we are used to on here but it seems he wants to back away from that and just throw the mud around.

Barry want's a civilized debate 8-)...................

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) .............

pelmetman - 2019-07-03 6:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-07-03 9:46 AM

Birdbrain - 2019-07-03 5:59 AM

Got to say its quite shocking the wolves have turned on a new member ... Its not the first time either ... Disgraceful behaviour actually

Not really. Mr Funster came on here with one intention. To troll one of our members. Some of the comments he has made and one in particular to me are quite disturbing. He has lowered the tone of what is normally a "fun" and respectable forum (lol)

I would rather be having a civilised debate like the kind we are used to on here but it seems he wants to back away from that and just throw the mud around.

Barry want's a civilized debate 8-)...................

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) .............

Your slipping Dave, I even added a laughing smiley to make it easier for you Brexiteers to understand it was a bit (just a bit) tongue in cheek.

Maybe we should have a debate on the three year old article FunnyJohn posted if you like. Will there be bendy bananas mentioned? I bet there is. Immigrants taking up our hospitals, schools and claiming benefits is bound to be in there I bet. Bound to be some mention of the £350m as well no doubt.

FunsterJohn - 2019-07-03 9:57 AM...…………………...This is the kind of report I like, https://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit-0 which coolly debates the pros and cons of Brexit and proves that there are intelligent people on either side who have very different views on the outcome of Brexit. The truth is that no one knows for certain whether we'll be damaged or whether Britain will prosper. What we do know though is that we'll be free to make our own choices without the interference and bullying from the EU. And what we also know is that the country voted and made a decision. ……………...

Yes, a reasonably balanced piece from The Week, though a little light on fact, and somewhat inaccurate over the rules on immigration. In the light of your demands for factual support for the disbenefits of Brexit, your comment above regarding no-one being certain about the consequences seem to make that a demand for the impossible, which seems to me somewhat pointless, because whatever the response the logical rejoinder is "but you can't prove that"! :-D

This is a matter for individual judgement, to be reached following a lot of listening to, and reading, the words of those who seem best equipped to reach conclusions based on knowledge. Much is dependent on forecasting, which is inevitably inexact in detail, but is usually reasonably indicative of a direction of travel. Equally inevitably, the eventual accuracy of forecasts is dependent on the competence of the forecaster/s, and the weightings applied to the factors taken into account in the forecasts. This, IMO, favours the forecasts of the most trusted economists who are open about their methodology, and scepticism for the opinions of those who make uncorroborated claims without the supporting data. On that basis, my conclusion is that the majority of "serious" economists have concluded that the economic consequences of any form of Brexit will be economically damaging, with a Brexit with no agreement (which implies no transition period) being the most damaging.

The UK has many present problems, which the two candidates for Conservative Party leadership are amply illustrating at present. Leaving aside why they have previously remained largely silent on these matters, these problems are going to need substantial sums of public money to remedy. As Brexit seems most likely to be economically damaging, meaning that government revenues will diminish, our ability to fix our present problems seems diminished by Brexit. Then there are the future issues connected to combating climate change, to remedy which even greater government spending will be necessary.

The argument that the majority of votes cast, in a referendum in which fact and fantasy were accorded equal weight, dictates that the outcome must be delivered or Armageddon will follow, seems to me a suspension of human intelligence. The line that "we know this will be damaging but we have to do in the interests of democracy, has one enormous flaw. That is that when, as seems most probable, the British public begin to become aware that the Brexit they were told would be to their advantage, has turned out to be to their disadvantage, they will react far more strongly than they might were Brexit to be halted and the reasons for its cancellation clearly stated.

William Rees-Mogg is on record as stating (with, apparently, no supporting methodology) that the benefits of Brexit will not be apparent for three to five decades. People are unlikely in the extreme, but especially those in the least prosperous parts of the country, to reconcile themselves to waiting 30 to 50 years to see its benefits!

Just as the forecasts of the impact of leaving that were made before the referendum (on the reasonable assumption that a vote to leave would result in a prompt exit), have been picked upon because they have not been realised (which of course is inevitable as we have not yet left), those forecasts of economic benefits following Brexit will have a very short honeymoon period. Economies do not turn on a sixpence, and the people who take such assurances unquestioningly will have their revenge at the next electoral opportunity, if not before.

That is my reasoning. I am unpersuaded that because a majority of 1.3 million people, out of a population of roughly 65 million, voted leave, I should change my opinion to match theirs. Why on earth would any rational being do that? I think Brexit, in any form, will damage the UK economy, and so our chances to fix our problems for the foreseeable future, and that in turn seems to me liable to knock on to cause greater and deeper damage to the United Kingdom. That is why I am against it.

Cogito, ergo sum! Now someone needs to explain to me (preferably without gratuitous insults!) why I am wrong. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-07-07 5:41 PM

That is my reasoning. I am unpersuaded that because a majority of 1.3 million people, out of a population of roughly 65 million, voted leave, I should change my opinion to match theirs. Why on earth would any rational being do that? I think Brexit, in any form, will damage the UK economy, and so our chances to fix our problems for the foreseeable future, and that in turn seems to me liable to knock on to cause greater and deeper damage to the United Kingdom. That is why I am against it.

Cogito, ergo sum! Now someone needs to explain to me (preferably without gratuitous insults!) why I am wrong. :-D

Two points - I think that the oft-trotted-out arguments about elections being morally invalid because only say, 30% of the population voted, are fallacious. We have a population of about 65 million, including of course a large number who can't vote such as children. But if only 50% of the adult population cast their vote we must assume that the rest of them don't care either way, so they shouldn't even be considered. The only people who matter are the ones who actually vote. So it's not 1.3 million out of 65 million. It's 1.3 million more than the losers, which is all that matters.

Secondly, who is asking you to change your opinion? If the Tories win an election we don't expect members of other parties to change their views. What we should expect though is that they honour the result of that democratic vote.

Your views are valid and may be correct. But they may not be and there are many, many people all probably brighter than you and me who truly believe that we can thrive as an independent country. I have no problem with remainers as long as they accept that others are entitled to a contrary view. However, on this forum we have a couple of people who believe that anyone in any position who believes in Brexit is, by definition, an idiot, a moron and the latest sound bite, a thieving 'disaster capitalist'. That is real stupidity and absolute arrogance.

FunsterJohn - 2019-07-07 7:47 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-07-07 5:41 PM

Two points - I think that the oft-trotted-out arguments about elections being morally invalid because only say, 30% of the population voted, are fallacious. We have a population of about 65 million, including of course a large number who can't vote such as children. But if only 50% of the adult population cast their vote we must assume that the rest of them don't care either way, so they shouldn't even be considered. The only people who matter are the ones who actually vote. So it's not 1.3 million out of 65 million. It's 1.3 million more than the losers, which is all that matters.

I disagree strongly regarding "if only 50% of the adult population cast their vote we must assume that the rest of them don't care either way, so they shouldn't even be considered". The assumption seems merely a convenient excuse to disregard them. What of those who couldn't decide between the two competing, sometimes mendacious, sometimes fictitious, frequently distorted, claims?

No-one has seriously sought to understand why people votes as they did, and the question that was asked had a kindergarten simplicity that belied (as many have since discovered) the true complexity of the issues.

A number of people have cited as their main reason for voting leave (as referenced in the article you linked above) that EU law makes the UK unable to control immigration. It does no such thing. It does limit the UK's ability to reject out of hand migrants from within the EU (though the right to enter is conditional on those doing so being able to demonstrate that they have adequate means to support themselves while here. Also, if they seek to enter for work, they have to show that they have reasonable prospects of doing so).

The great influx after the Visegrad group joined the EU was not because EU law forbad us controlling EU immigration (most of the other the EU states placed time delays on the exercise of that right, leaving the UK as the only major economy with an open door), but because our own government chose to waive those restrictions. In the case of the approximately 50% of immigrants from outside the EU, EU law says nothing, so we could, quite legally, have greatly restricted the Visegrad influx and simultaneously stopped virtually all non EU migration. Why didn't we? Because immigration solves two problems. 1 It creates a surplus in the labour market, which helps to suppress cost push inflation. 2 It provides a ready supply of well educated, well trained, intelligent, people who can step straight into the more demanding jobs and so eliminate the need to develop and train our own people. (Yes, I'm being cynical! :-))

Regarding "so they shouldn't even be considered", this is a recipe for disaster in a democracy. They exist, they are here, and they have to be considered in the interests of democratic harmony. That statement is akin to a government that seeks to govern only in the interests of its supporters, and not in the interests of the whole country. Government of the people, by the people, for some of the people, isn't quite what Lincoln had in mind, and it has generally ended in tears where it has been tried. Democracy isn't just a matter of winning, it is a matter of winning with generosity toward those who lost.

Secondly, who is asking you to change your opinion? If the Tories win an election we don't expect members of other parties to change their views. What we should expect though is that they honour the result of that democratic vote.

It is a common enough meme among Brexiters. We won, you lost, so you should accept Brexit and stop arguing against it. You even flirt with this yourself! :-D

Your views are valid and may be correct. But they may not be and there are many, many people all probably brighter than you and me who truly believe that we can thrive as an independent country. I have no problem with remainers as long as they accept that others are entitled to a contrary view. However, on this forum we have a couple of people who believe that anyone in any position who believes in Brexit is, by definition, an idiot, a moron and the latest sound bite, a thieving 'disaster capitalist'. That is real stupidity and absolute arrogance.

Belief is not the basis on which to embark upon a high risk enterprise. Reason and judgement, based on the best available facts, coupled with intelligent strategic forecasting, are the best foundations. They allow strategies to be planned, and they allow plans to be reviewed and changed as required to meet changing circumstances. Post the referendum, there was no such strategic plan. Surely that has become obvious over the past three years?

I know, the name calling is tedious. I think the actual phrase might have been "money grubbing disaster capitalist"? However, I do see an element of truth in the claim that disaster capitalism is colouring the ambitions of some on the right of the Conservative Party. Andrea Leadsom, for example (but not alone), seems close to promoting the "shock doctrine" of fostering a radical state roll back on the back of the expected economic impact of Brexit, especially if no deal is involved. Whether that is termed stupidity, arrogance, or mere vandalism, seems academic. If carried out, it seems to me liable to prove highly damaging to our version of democracy. Under the circumstances, being aware and sceptical seems to me wise - even if the language does get a bit ragged at the edges! :-D

Brilliantly and eloquently put Brian.

I think the frustration for me is that Brexit and support for it especially now is all based on just belief, ideology and blind hope with no plan whatsoever. Despite over three years of damming evidence showing the damage any kind of Brexit will cause there are many who just "believe" it will all work out. I simply cannot get my head around that. Its madness which is why I often refer to it as a cult.

Maybe a no deal Brexit has to happen to prove that but the damage it will do to communities and families especially in places like the North East will IMO be catastrophic from which I suspect some areas will never recover.

Barryd999 - 2019-07-10 10:18 AM

I think the frustration for me is that Brexit and support for it especially now is all based on just belief, ideology and blind hope with no plan whatsoever. Despite over three years of damming evidence showing the damage any kind of Brexit will cause there are many who just "believe" it will all work out. I simply cannot get my head around that. Its madness which is why I often refer to it as a cult.

Maybe a no deal Brexit has to happen to prove that but the damage it will do to communities and families especially in places like the North East will IMO be catastrophic from which I suspect some areas will never recover.

Still not giving a toss about Brexit I see

Birdbrain - 2019-07-10 6:06 PM

Hello Tweety Pie. I assume "giving a toss" is bird talk for being concerned? If so I, and I assume from what he writes, Barry, are both extremely concerned about Brexit. It seems we both think, on well documented grounds, that it will prove economically damaging for the UK. What do you think?

Did I say I didn't give a toss about it anymore? Don't think I did did I? Im just not as actively involved right now.

Barryd999 - 2019-07-10 6:51 PM

Did I say I didn't give a toss about it anymore? Don't think I did did I? Im just not as actively involved right now.

Pantomis stylie ... Ohhhh yes you did

Guest pelmetman

I suspect some areas will never recover.

Prolly a certain back bedroom in Bottom Magnet wont :D ........

I feel sorry for the neigbours being so close to such dodgy 80/90's decoration 8-) .........

I'd claim a rate rebate >:-) ........

Brian Kirby - 2019-07-10 6:51 PM

Hello Tweety Pie. I assume "giving a toss" is bird talk for being concerned? If so I, and I assume from what he writes, Barry, are both extremely concerned about Brexit. It seems we both think, on well documented grounds, that it will prove economically damaging for the UK. What do you think?

Good luck with that......it seems the playpen was left unlocked.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-07-10 9:38 PM

Well your Limo came back early??? ;-) ........

You should know by now Mc Donalds Drive through cant cope with that size of vehicle :D ......

pelmetman - 2019-07-10 9:44 PM

You should know by now Mc Donalds Drive through cant cope with that size of vehicle :D ......

Listen up........you're drunk and your boyfriend is waiting for you. Time you went to bed. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-07-10 9:59 PM

Listen up........you're drunk and your boyfriend is waiting for you. Time you went to bed. *-)

Your back early ;-) ........

Did your boyfriend dump you? :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-07-10 8:18 PM

I feel sorry for the neigbours being so close to such dodgy 80/90's decoration 8-) .........

Oooooooh Ark at her!!!!!

You leave my Rock God Studio decor out of it. Its retro chic (or is it sh1t) and its staying that way. I suppose you live in some modern twendy wendy penthouse in the Hudderstan then do you? (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-07-10 10:05 PM

Oooooooh Ark at her!!!!!

You leave my Rock God Studio decor out of it. Its retro chic (or is it sh1t) and its staying that way. I suppose you live in some modern twendy wendy penthouse in the Hudderstan then do you? (lol)

My current decor is 1990's shabby chic camper with the added aroma of stinky dog and old fart B-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-07-10 10:03 PM

You were blind drunk so hadn't a clue what time i came back to the forum.......and hate to burst your bubble but i'm not gay nor do i find your transvestite 'selfie' you keep posting remotely attractive.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-07-10 10:16 PM

pelmetman - 2019-07-10 10:03 PM

You were blind drunk so hadn't a clue what time i came back to the forum.......and hate to burst your bubble but i'm not gay nor do i find your transvestite 'selfie' you keep posting remotely attractive.

You came back hours ago ;-) ........obviously your limo didn't work :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-07-10 10:08 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-07-10 10:05 PM

Oooooooh Ark at her!!!!!

My current decor is 1990's shabby chic camper with the added aroma of stinky dog and old fart B-) ........

Jeesaz! I got you confused with Mr Birdbrain there as its usually him that seems to have an obsession with my bedroom and stuff. Its creeping me out to be honest. He's a well known pervert you know.

Archived