France ou UK - discuss

longtemps

StuartO - 2019-07-20 1:38 PM

ColinM50 - 2019-07-20 11:43 AM

We do both and both have advantages but to paraphrase Mr Trump, if you only want to criticise our country, go and live somewhere else 8-) >:-( (lol)

Who is critising UK as a Country to live in, aren't we just criticising its motorhoming facilities, and aren't those criticisms valid?

I think that depends on how you read this.

longtemps - 2019-07-19 9:44 PM

I despise the U.K. with it’s parking restrictions and signs saying “thou shalt not”.

We do both and both have advantages but to paraphrase Mr Trump, if you only want to criticise our country, go and live somewhere else 8-) >:-( (lol)

Who is critising UK as a Country to live in, aren't we just criticising its motorhoming facilities, and aren't those criticisms valid?

...and the people in America are, of course, criticizing Donald trump, not America.

;-)

This year, due to circumstances, we have stayed in UK, have been happy with that.

Last year we where mainly on mainland Europe, just as happy over there.

Next year if things go to plan we will hopefully spend quite a few months in Australia visiting areas we've not been to before, and most likely will spend time on mainland Europe and/or UK. Then we have areas of US and Canada we haven't yet been to.

Also hoping to get in non motorhome holidays, there's a few Asian, African and South American countries we've not been to.

I'm now sitting here thinking once my hips been sorted I really need to crack on before any other health issues arise.

Will86 - 2019-07-20 9:30 AM

France or UK.

There is of course a big difference in land mass, the UK has 93.628 square miles and France has 643,801, that's almost 7 times larger. The population density is about the same so the tighter the space the more restrictions there are.

Apologies Will, but something's gone askew with those figures! :-D

France 640,649 Sq km, population 66,998,000, density 104/Sq km.

UK 242,495 Sq km, population 67,545,757, density 270.7/Sq km.

Says it all really, plus the French climate is better, and the landscape more varied.

They are, but I think they are the inevitable consequence of two things. First our more northerly latitude, and so less comfortable climate, and secondly our higher population density (and that figure up above is for the UK, including Wales and Scotland. England alone is 426.9/sq km, SE England alone 1,171.165/sq km!).

So, higher population density = more competition for space = higher cost of land and so camp sites = higher traffic densities = more risk of "territorial" disputes = more rules to control said risk. Sad, but true!

What we need is French population density. So, who's volunteering for the chop? Ah! See, it's all your fault! :-D

Nicepix - 2019-07-20 11:48 AM

Will86 - 2019-07-20 10:30 AM

France or UK.

There is of course a big difference in land mass, the UK has 93.628 square miles and France has 643,801, that's almost 7 times larger. The population density is about the same so the tighter the space the more restrictions there are.

You are mixing up kilometres with miles, and population with population density.

The UK has 93,628 square miles, but France has 643,801 km2 or 247,368 sq. miles. Two and a half time larger, not six.

The population numbers are roughly the same, but the density is two and a half times less in France as it is roughly the same population divided by a larger area.

Apologies, I missed this and repeated your post! :-D

I am now the owner of my very own bit of France, over an acre of free private Aire, water, shower and toilet disposal. All mine and no, I won't say where it is and there is no room for anyone else, so don't ask.

Off to watch the grass grow next week, 39 C might be a bit warm though!

:-D :-D :-D

Don636 - 2019-07-20 5:41 PM

What about this for an idea? If everyone who voted remain left to go over to the continent there would be lots more room for the rest of us on the UK.

Good idea. The only flaw is that due to those that voted leave we may not be able to do so as much as we would like :-(

hallii - 2019-07-20 6:10 PM

I am now the owner of my very own bit of France, over an acre of free private Aire, water, shower and toilet disposal. All mine and no, I won't say where it is and there is no room for anyone else, so don't ask.

Well done!

I have mooted this sort of thing with a friend. Out on the west coast La Baule, Il de Re, Il d' Oleron for example the house prices are ridiculous. Yet you can buy a small plot with no building permission and no possibility of agriculture for a lot less and there would be nothing that I know of that would stop you putting in water, sewage and electricity and a hard standing. Maybe even an abri.

The Romanians have been doing something very similar (without the water, sewage and electricity) and they manage to make a mini site of five or six caravans in a derelict barn, farm yard or orchard.

I'm surprised that more don't do it. :-D

longtemps - 2019-07-19 9:44 PM

I spend the vast majority of my time and money in that most civilised of motorhoming friendly countries, France. I despise the U.K. with it’s parking restrictions and signs saying “thou shalt not”. Where do my fellow contributors on this most esteemed forum spend the majority of their time and money? Is it in good old Blighty or elsewhere? Just asking.

Generally, elsewhere. We've "done" a fair chunk of central and southern Europe within the EU. France is arguably the best value, and caters best for motorhomers.

We tend to go for "places" (villages, towns, cities) which is where the character and culture of the regions is best expressed, in preference to mountains, moors, valleys beaches, or views (though we inevitably encounter plenty of these as we go).

We prioritise campsites, and use their facilities in preference to our own. We try to avoid toll roads, preferring the minor roads. It takes longer, but the architecture changes as you travel, reflecting the geology, climate and altitude of the regions. If we can't walk from sites to our destinations, we use public transport - which opens another window onto local life.

We don't travel in winter, and avoid the school summer holiday period. We've been doing this since 2005, I don't think we have ever booked anywhere, and have only come unstuck a handful of times. Trips are usually 8 - 10 weeks duration, and so far we've made 25: 160,000 miles and 1230 days in all.

France is very good, but nowhere is bad, or boring. Most of the really interesting (to us) places we've seen have been outside France - which is not to say that France lacks interest, it doesn't, it's just that the real "goodies" have been elsewhere.

Don636 - 2019-07-20 6:02 PM

Good point but I meant leave the UK permanently, not just on holiday. Just joking.

Well, this country would be much improved if a lot of people left. The trouble is that they are the ones who give us such a bad name abroad and who no-one else wants anyway.

I'm not sure whether I'm joking or not!

Deneb - 2019-07-20 8:00 PM

Don636 - 2019-07-20 6:02 PM

Good point but I meant leave the UK permanently, not just on holiday. Just joking.

Well, this country would be much improved if a lot of people left. The trouble is that they are the ones who give us such a bad name abroad and who no-one else wants anyway.

I'm not sure whether I'm joking or not!

You mean like James Dyson, Richard Branson, Michael Caine, Sean Connery.............

Yes, you are probably right (lol)

Nicepix - 2019-07-20 6:08 PM

hallii - 2019-07-20 6:10 PM

Well done!

I have mooted this sort of thing with a friend. Out on the west coast La Baule, Il de Re, Il d' Oleron for example the house prices are ridiculous. Yet you can buy a small plot with no building permission and no possibility of agriculture for a lot less and there would be nothing that I know of that would stop you putting in water, sewage and electricity and a hard standing. Maybe even an abri.

The Romanians have been doing something very similar (without the water, sewage and electricity) and they manage to make a mini site of five or six caravans in a derelict barn, farm yard or orchard.

I'm surprised that more don't do it. :-D

The local Marie are very easy going, anything I have asked for has been approved with a nod and a wave of the hand. I wish I had done it when I was younger and I would have opened a small private Aire.

Or maybe not...

H

It often happens that way. However, not always as we have found out to our cost.

We live around 80 metres from a church and have had an application to erect an abri refused by the Departmental Architect because it would be in view of anyone looking at the church.

The abri would have been 6 wooden posts supporting a tiles roof. The roof is not an issue, but the architect insists that the sides of the abri should be enclosed on all four sides with ship lap wooden boards and have two opening doors. Now, I could erect six wooden posts anywhere in my garden and nothing could be done about it. But if I used the same posts to support a tiled roof as approved by the architect it is not permissible. So, I can only assume that he objects to the camping-car being visible, which it is now and he cannot do anything about it as we have not covered it, and it will be in the future because we aren't willing to put up a large shed in the garden.

The abri we applied for mirrors the design of ancient market halls found throughout the region. The design he insists on replicates no building that I know of in the region and he will not tell me where I can find one like it. The view of the proposed abri on our property is masked to around 80% by evergreen hedges and the view of the church from the other side of it has no obstructions to the view which includes an ugly builder's yard and a building with corrugated roofing.

The architect has changed his mind twice; refusing an initial application of a flat roofed abri with the recommendation that it would be approved with a more suitable roof, verbally approving the second design and then refusing the application containing the design he had verbally accepted. And nothing can be done about it except to erect a smaller abri of less than 20 m2 which would barely cover the footprint of the vehicle.

And yet our Romanian friends can put 5 or 6 caravans on small parcels of land with no fosse or drainage and in contradiction to the laws of the land and nothing is done.

The red tape of French bureaucracy only seems to ensnare those who ask. Not those who just do,

Archived