Filling LPG in Europe

potus4388

Just recently, I refilled with gas at a Shell station near us in Spain. In the past I had to use their adaptor, as mine fitted but didn't seem to work. This time when trying again with my adapter at the same station I got no joy until the attendant came out and held the feed button for a long time (maybe 20 seconds) and eventually the pump zeroed, reset, and the gas came through and filled OK.

Could be a particular pump problem, but maybe holding the button could be an answer when the pump appears to not reset!

I've found LPG pumps next to Fuel pumps which seemed to have no way to pay until a French man pointed out you go to the fuel pump next to it and have a choice of Petrol / Gasoil or LPG so if there appears no way to pay if unattended this may be the case

In Case of stand up bottles and not underslung horizontal gastanks. You may only refill to 80 percent. because of The Bleve- Effect. Boiling liquid vaperouse effect. The lightweight bottles are safer as they do not create this effect. they have minuscule blow off holes in of explosion pressure So a Refill here is not on bottles in a station on the road.So inform me what are the rules in the uk?

Hans

These three links (and the 1st attached file) may help to answer your question

https://www.liquidgasuk.org/news/2018/new-safety-guidance-on-the-ownership-and-filling-of-freestanding-lpg-cylinders

https://www.liquidgasuk.org/media/DOC5D495EA7E48A1/Liquid%20Gas%20UK_User%20Info_37_July%2019.pdf

https://www.liquidgasuk.org/media/DOC5D4970E8E7CB4/Liquid%20Gas%20UK_User%20Info_26_July%2019.pdf

User-refillable LPG reservoirs that are designed for ‘vapour take-off’ (ie. the types of bottle or fixed tank used with motorhomes to fuel habitation appliances like heaters, fridges, ovens, etc.) all need to have internal ‘free-space' available into which the liquid gas can vaporize. The general rule is that the free-space should be at least 20% of a reservoir’s overall capacity, which translates to the reservoir being no more than 80% full.

Restricting refilling to 80% capacity is normally achieved (as curdle has said) by the bottle/tank having an automatic cut-off valve, but refillable bottles have been marketed in the UK that relied on the user manually limiting how much liquid gas was put in. These bottles were composite construction that permitted the amount of gas in the bottle to be verified visually and examples are in the 2nd attached file.

Although composite-construction LPG bottles are claimed to be safer than metal bottles in the event of a fire, user-refillable composite bottles must still not be filled beyond 80% of their capacity.

1723734132_Fillinggasbottle.png.9c8c667895b5676d18d7d142a61b9d90.png

mth.jpg.f70588ff3a22c34fad75a06eb187a853.jpg

Archived