Amateur radio fitting

Bogfoldcruiser

I'm looking to fit a Yaesu ft 857 to the Prosecco /P motorhome . placing the head and main body of it are no problem , my problem is fitting the 2m/70cms antenna for mobile work , HF is covered with a homemade fishing pole vertical when I'm set up . I've thought about fitting it to the rear bike rack and running a ground to the chassis then routing the cable through the garage . Any other suggestions .

Eddie MM0EDZ previously MM03EDZ

1361356244_Portableopswagon_Easy-Resize_com_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.46636be6fa45457b77abd655b9378f7a.jpg

A Bike rack is a ready made mounting facility for any vertical....even seen some mh'ers use them to clamp mast and tv aerial. You said in your post "for mobile work" so would need to bear in mind a more compact arrangement when on the road. Parked up on site and it doesn't matter what you have sticking up....height is might as the saying goes!

I used to do a lot of HF listening (never got round to doing my RAE) and still have a number of HF sets but when traveling in van, limit myself to a Sony 2001D or Sony SW-1. Take up very little room and both give cracking reception off internal antenna alone though do have an external.

" I used to do a lot of HF listening (never got round to doing my RAE) and still have a number of HF sets but when traveling in van, limit myself to a Sony 2001D or Sony SW-1. Take up very little room and both give cracking reception off internal antenna alone though do have an external. "

You should go for your foundation licence , you would be restricted to 10w and most bands are available but no problem there .

Hi, as a long standing amateur, call sign g3nwl , I have used a variety of transmitter receivers and aerial set ups both mobile and portable both in uk and on foreign holidays, both on hf and vhf 2mtr bands

Hf antennas from home made 160 m base loaded, through a variety of gwhips , and a 2mtr halo, .

Hf equipment from 160 top band home brew in A glove pocket on an old ford consul, via codar at5 txrx combination in a Morris 1000 traveller, kw 2000a and gwhips in a vw campervan, with the psu in

The engine compartment in the rear, with a C31 ho call, from Andorra,

Most recently using ts 450s at and g whips mounted on wing mirror on my Stargazer.

First licensed 1958/9, and only this year closed down and sold up all my gear at Age 81 and now comtemplating selling the van as well..but not just yet unless someone has somewhere in excess of 24k spare, to persuade me.

Aerial mountings have generally been on wing mirror or replacing ordinary car aerials.

Never operated whilst in motion, but usually parked up somewhere on the journey . A lot of portable operation using wire dipoles and a portable guyed mast., both in uk and on the continent.

Have fun however you operate, but most of all be safe.

Tony g3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2019-08-06 9:50 PM

Hi, as a long standing amateur, call sign g3nwl , I have used a variety of transmitter receivers and aerial set ups both mobile and portable both in uk and on foreign holidays, both on hf and vhf 2mtr bands

Hf antennas from home made 160 m base loaded, through a variety of gwhips , and a 2mtr halo, .

Hf equipment from 160 top band home brew in A glove pocket on an old ford consul, via codar at5 txrx combination in a Morris 1000 traveller, kw 2000a and gwhips in a vw campervan, with the psu in

The engine compartment in the rear, with a C31 ho call, from Andorra,

Most recently using ts 450s at and g whips mounted on wing mirror on my Stargazer.

First licensed 1958/9, and only this year closed down and sold up all my gear at Age 81 and now comtemplating selling the van as well..but not just yet unless someone has somewhere in excess of 24k spare, to persuade me.

Aerial mountings have generally been on wing mirror or replacing ordinary car aerials.

Never operated whilst in motion, but usually parked up somewhere on the journey . A lot of portable operation using wire dipoles and a portable guyed mast., both in uk and on the continent.

Have fun however you operate, but most of all be safe.

Tony g3nwl

Cheers Tony , nice old call sign , I usually use a home made vertical when we are parked up , 9m telescopic pole resonant on 17m but tunes in pretty well on anything above 40m but I do like to have 2m/70Cms while mobile . I'll figure something out , the 857 is pretty small and with the detachable head that should be the easy bit .

1959 eh the year I was born .

73's Sir all the best MM0EDZ

Archived