Where to obtain Exide battery

Deffheads

I replaced my battery in a Dethleffs Esprit just over 3 years ago with an Exide sourced from Tanya but I seem to recall it was the only one they had and it was quite old. I have a vague memory that there were rumours at the time that Exide were stopping production.

I believe Robinhood is correct in stating the GF12094Y Sonnenschein is a suitable replacement. Indeed it may well be the same battery under a different badge. Battery Megastore had this battery when I was searching and they were quite competitive when delivery was included. I think the Exide proved to be cheaper but this may well reflect the age of the supplied battery.

As you are aware the battery fits under the seat and I recall thinking at the time that there was little scope for using alternative batteries as it is relatively a tight fit. You don't need to totally remove the passenger seat as there is sufficient room if you simply lean the seat backwards onto the rear bench seat - it is quite heavy.

That is disturbing news. It is not a major problem re-locating but obviously there is a need to extend/divert existing wiring harness. I had considered replacing my battery with Varta's - as Allan Evans of A and N caravan services recommends - and looked into possible locations for such a battery/ie. For my model of Dethleffs the most suitable location appeard to be in the void under the bench seat located immediately to the rear of the driver's seat. In my model there is quite a bit of room there which is in effect redundant. I am unsure what model Dethleffs you have but this may be an option. The Varta option was far more economical but I am unsure if it proved a viable alternative to the gel battery.

I have just googled the ES1200 Exide G110 Marine and Multifit Gel Leisure Battery 110Ah which I purchased from Tanya and they are showing it available at £241.50!

Deffheads’s battery-related enquiry was continued in another forum thread (link below) where some of the points you’ve raised will have been covered

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ODYSSEY-PC2250-BATTERY-12V/52746/

(Forum moderators have significant editing powers, but cannot move postings from one thread to another, nor combine separate threads into a single thread when this would clearly benefit the discussion.)

Archived