Unbelievable incident.

johnfromnorfolk

I was driving along the A47 Norwich southern bypass yesterday in my motorhome when a bloke in a high vis. jacket working on one of the bridges over the road using a air blower (the type used for clearing leaves) blew a large amount of debris including stones off the bridge onto the road and my motorhome.

The windscreen was damaged and I reported the incident to the police and complained to the highways authority.

My motorhome is being assessed for damage tomorrow (Wednesday).

The highways agency were quite unresponsive but said they will investigate my claim.

After making an online report to the police I was contacted by a P.C. who asked me to keep them informed and If I was "fobbed off" by the highways agency the police would speak to them.

Pity I do not have a dash cam to record the daft and dangerous incident.

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome. Extremely dangerous incident which should automatically be reported to the Health & Safety Executive via the Highways Agency.

The HSE normally take this kind of incident very seriously.

johnfromnorfolk - 2019-08-06 9:05 AM .......Pity I do not have a dash cam to record the daft and dangerous incident.

Indeed.

I think there is a strong arguement for having a dashcam in every vehicle these days. The good, reliable ones cost between £75 and £150 (for the ones which have a rearwards lens too) which is not expensive compared to the overall costs of motorhoming.

StuartO - 2019-08-06 9:13 PM

johnfromnorfolk - 2019-08-06 9:05 AM .......Pity I do not have a dash cam to record the daft and dangerous incident.

Indeed.

I think there is a strong arguement for having a dashcam in every vehicle these days. The good, reliable ones cost between £75 and £150 (for the ones which have a rearwards lens too) which is not expensive compared to the overall costs of motorhoming.

I have one now after a French cyclist lost control and did a fair amount of damage to our new van. You have to be careful where you use them however as heavy fines for using them in Austria for example.

Wortho - 2019-08-06 10:55 AM ..... You have to be careful where you use them however as heavy fines for using them in Austria for example.

And Portugal, where their use is regarded as an invasion of privacy of those whose images are being captured and video clips from them are not allowed to be used in evidence in Portugese courts. I took mine off the windscreen when we entered Portugal - but then put it back on after deciding I was unlikely to get stopped in Portugal anyway and the dashcam might still be useful to pass to my insurer back in UK.

The ban on dash cams is interesting in the context of news that Tesla are selling significant numbers in both countries mentioned. A Tesla has multiple cameras that are not evident in the way a dash cam is visible and operate in "Sentry mode" even when parked. I wonder if features are disabled for these markets?

Britain has a greater proportion of CCTV cameras per person than any other country in the world.

There are arguments for and against CCTV.

We tend to only hear the arguments for, because our Government is very keen on watching us.

Unfortunately they are not so keen on us having cameras to watch them *-)

John52 - 2019-08-09 9:21 AM. Britain has a greater proportion of CCTV cameras per person than any other country in the world. There are arguments for and against CCTV. We tend to only hear the arguments for, because our Government is very keen on watching us.

I doubt the last bit is true - and filming anyone in any public place does not require their consent in UK, even from Megan Markle! Norfolk police welcome reports of offences captured on camera and provide a facility on their website for uploading video clips from dashcams. Newspapers and broadcast media also welcome (and widely use) amateur video, especially clips which embarrass officialdom.

StuartO - 2019-08-09 10:02 AM

John52 - 2019-08-09 9:21 AM. Britain has a greater proportion of CCTV cameras per person than any other country in the world. There are arguments for and against CCTV. We tend to only hear the arguments for, because our Government is very keen on watching us.

I doubt the last bit is true - and filming anyone in any public place does not require their consent in UK, even from Megan Markle! Norfolk police welcome reports of offences captured on camera and provide a facility on their website for uploading video clips from dashcams. Newspapers and broadcast media also welcome (and widely use) amateur video, especially clips which embarrass officialdom.

I'm going by clips I have seen on youtube of people filming police officers, TV licence inspectors, security guards etc (lol)

John52 - 2019-08-10 10:03 PM

StuartO - 2019-08-09 10:02 AM

I'm going by clips I have seen on youtube of people filming police officers, TV licence inspectors, security guards etc (lol)

I wouldn't want to turn this into a Chatterbox spat but doesn't the fact that video clips of the sort you describe are not censored and remain available for public viewing disprove your point? Their publication won't please those who are embarassed by them of course but I've not seen any evidence of government taking official measures to prevent their publication.

I think freedom to photograph and video things in public places is fundamentally a good thing, even if we do have totolerate paperazi-type long lens stuff.

Archived