Continental Car hire recommendations

Tall_Mike

Hi,

We,ve looked at the options of towing a car behind our van, while perfectly feasible, by the time we've factored in buying a trailer, a tow bar, and running an extra car, (or using it as a second car)- for the usage we'd give it, it simply isn't worth it money wise unless our van usage pattern changes.

Instead - What I am looking at is maybe opening an account with a Car Hire company, - we want one that covers Europe as well as the UK, so when we stop for 3 or 4 days on a site, we can have a hire car delivered, - and collected before we go from the site. We generally stay on recognized and well established sites -often outside of major cities - and that we could book it in advance.

I am looking for a company that wont rip me off, there are horrendous stories of companies stinging people for damages they didn't do - also not necessarily the cheapest, but one that offers good service.

Do others do this? - Can you recommend any, - being seeing TV adverts for Sixt although I don't think they will do what we want in that you have to go and collect the vehicle from a depot somewhere. - Thanks.

On the basis that you want the car delivered and collected, I THINK that's a USP of Europcar though others may offer it on an ad hoc basis, they've patented the ideas nd the likes of Hertz, Sixt etc can't advertise it. Whether they do on an informal basis I don't know or you can use taxis?

In France we've got excellent rates from SuperU supermarket, down to €12 a day inc insurance but I guess in high season it'd be more.

In UK I've called the local tourist information and asked them for numbers for secondhand car dealers and in Launceston last year we hired a beaten up old Rover 25 for £50 for the week.

What "we" need to do is collectively buy a few cheapo old bangers to use while we're abroad.

Tall_Mike - 2019-08-06 10:14 AM

I am looking for a company that wont rip me off, there are horrendous stories of companies stinging people for damages they didn't do - also not necessarily the cheapest, but one that offers good service.

...any worries about this can, of course, be mitigated by taking out the full array of insurances (CDW, excess, etc.) but this all adds to the cost. If you hire on a regular basis, it is often very cost effective to take out an annual policy with an independent insurer covering one or both of the above. The annual premium is often less than you might pay for the equivalent for a single hire from the hire car company.

It doesn't free you from the checking, and any argument at the end of the hire about liability (though photos taken at the time of driving away are useful), but it does ease the financial burden.

Thanks,

We could of course take a taxi to collect the car, - or even a taxi for the whole trip, we've used taxi's before for trips out and it can work - but it isn't always the best option.

We have a small dog who is well behaved (mostly) who doesn't like being left behind - also my wife is mostly wheel chair bound. Local bus's often are not keen on dogs travelling, - some do and some don't allow it.

We've found taxi's somewhat selective as to whether they will or will not take dog and chair, this is understandable for the drivers - Also in some places, they are eye wateringly expensive - for example in Dublin we paid 50 euro for a relatively short journey one way, for a round trip in and out 100 euro is starting to get silly. -

Hence looking at the car hire option more seriously.

Randonneur - 2019-08-06 5:27 PM

When in Portugal we have always used Zest Car Rental on the internet and never had any problems with them, we have used them in the UK as well.

Zest Car Rental always come out top each year in the Consumer Association Which? polls as the best UK-based car hire broker.

We have used them for years - they are big enough to be as secure as any business is these days, but not too big to be able to handle individual requests for specific requirements. Regular customers can earn discounts and free cancellation, which can be handy if plans change.

We've used them for years and found them to be straightforward and reliable. And I believe they have a 24/7 helpline. Oh and they can normally arrange delivery - they certainly did when we wanted a car at the out-of-the-way hotel we were staying at on the small Canarian island of La Palma.

https://www.zestcarrental.com/

Archived