Sliding door on Auto Trail van conversion

Grumpyman

The sliding door keeps sticking to the rubber trim if left for a few days without opening it.. Have tried olive oil also baby powder around the rubber seal to no avail. Any other suggestions please. The only way to get it open is using my backside from inside the van.

Grumpyman - 2019-08-09 12:41 PM

The sliding door keeps sticking to the rubber trim if left for a few days without opening it.. Have tried olive oil also baby powder around the rubber seal to no avail. Any other suggestions please. The only way to get it open is using my backside from inside the van.

We have occasionally experienced a similar problem on our pvc (3-year old Ducato X290). And yes, your temporary solution to open it is one we have also resorted to.

Strangely, other times the van can be left for ages without problem. We haven't worked out the logic to when it occurs in our case?

Deneb - 2019-08-09 5:18 PM

I've always rubbed ordinary car polish into the door seals to stop them sticking. A trick my father showed me when I got my first car to stop them sticking in cold weather and I've been doing it ever since.

Is there any particular car polish brand you recommend?

Hadn't heard of this solution before.

I use Autoglym these days, but I've been doing it for nearly 45 years and as I only settled on Autoglym after I started showing a car in concours, for much of the time it was just whatever old tin I had lying around. It stops the seals freezing to doors in cold weather and I've not had any problems at other times of the year either.

Interesting one this. I noticed a bit of sticking on the sliding door the other day for the first time in 5 years. The van has not been used since April due to working on the house so I put it down to that but I normally polish the van quite often and just lather some polish on the door seals at the same time but it has not been polished this year so the seals might be drying out so this polish suggestion sounds right to me.

Deneb - 2019-08-09 10:47 PM

I use Autoglym these days, but I've been doing it for nearly 45 years and as I only settled on Autoglym after I started showing a car in concours, for much of the time it was just whatever old tin I had lying around. It stops the seals freezing to doors in cold weather and I've not had any problems at other times of the year either.

Many thanks for the additional info!!

Although I try to keep our pvc and car clean, I do little more than wash regularly with car shampoo that contains some wax, and then leather them off to dry. So not a polish user... and not going to win any concours parades any time soon ;-) B-)

Archived