For Mr Victor Meldrew

michele

Oh sorry i see anyway not a great fan of shopping on line . But I know some are to save a buck.?

:-( Frank did you see your colleagues in london today ?.

I might not have the money at the mo and might try e bay as suggested but I always worry about certain things like electrical from there .Will have to wait and see.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

OK, as promised, this morning I asked my more technical staff about this probem and the answer is:

Shutter lag is no longer a problem on digital SLRs. You can buy one from between £400-500 but that will not come with a long zoom, for which you will have to budget about £150.

A good compromise is an SLR with a fixed lens with a good zoom range, such as the Panasonic SZ30 which has a massive 12X optical zoom, which goes to a really long telephoto setting and should be ideal for your needs.

This is under £400 and you've no more lenses to buy and you don't have the hassle of changing lenses every few minutes.

I don't want to get involved in selling stuff I'm afraid. I'm not on this forum to do business. Have a look around and find a good supplier but remember, the cheapest price on the web is very often from the firm that may be going bust and is desperate for cash flow!

Your ideal supplier in my opinion would be a good High Street retailer whose prices are fairly competitive but who can advise and demonstrate.

You should never buy a camera like this without handling it. Modern cameras are superb and often the one factor in deciding between two or three is how it feels in your hands and how easy it is to access the controls etc.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Dave Newell - 2007-02-22 3:20 PM Thanks John, I'm not actually loking for a new camera as the s7000 does absolutely everything I need and a bit more besides. I was just asking out of pure curiosity. I also only posted the link for the Nikon as an example of what is avaialble after only a short search on the net, if I'd known Frank's web address I'd have given a link to that instead. By the way, nice site Frank but it seemed interminably slow for me, ho hum. D.

Interminably slow seems a bit unfair. I accessed it this morning and it was fine. The problem with my website is that it is live and coupled to our stock inventory.

When you hit a button, such as Digital SLRs for instance, it doesn't just take you to a webpage but first it has to pull out all of the digital SLRs from our thousands of products and list them.

Not only does it list them but it tells you which products are in stock or unavailable and this of course is live and changes every minute.

I find that when you click on a link that there's a short wait while it's searching the stock and then the page comes up very fast.

Dave Newell - 2007-02-22 8:07 PM ............brian, I follow your point but unless you're doing top level journo/paparatzi work you don't need to spend anything like £3000........... D.

Dave

Agreed, which is why I have my eye on the D80.  However, my original post was in reply to Michele's request for a translation of Frank's post about shutter lag, and sports photographers (I assumed he meant professionals) now using digital, as evidence that shutter lag doesn't affect them.

Whereas this is true, they do use the kind of kit I was referring to so it won't be universally true that all cheaper digital cameras have the same instant reactions.  Some will, some won't: but all are definately getting much sharper in this respect.

If anyone's interested, these links may be useful to bookmark

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

http://www.dpreview.com/

Have fun! 

just balancing the odds, Frank, hadn't realised before that you were THE wilkinson camera man of the north west, been in many of your shops over the years - but no longer live over that side of the Pennines.

B-)

:$ I am really having finger trouble - either that or Bill Gates is moving the keys around on my 'pooter. This is the 3rd edit - I give up and I'm off for some caffeine! :->

Sorry Frank, I didn't intend to upset you, I merely said what I saw, namely a slow responding site. Perhaps I logged in at a time of high access requests I don't know but when I'm on a broadband feed as I was at work the other day (1Mb feed) any site that takes longer than a minute for the home page to come in is slow in my book. As it happens I'm at home now with a 10Mb broadband connection and your site is still slow, 48 seconds for the home page to complete. I can log in to 7 Day shop and search for a variety of criteria and its in within three seconds, I'd say their site is doing the same as yours in checking stock and availability but its loads faster at doing it. Perhaps its my end, I don't know, how do any body elses experiences pan out please.

D.

Hi Frank, maybe I was just unlucky and hit peak access times, I've just tried it again and the homepage came in at 18 seconds, so quite a bit faster this time. Perhaps a few of the other regular users could try accessing Frank's site and letting him know what their times are like, it could still be my end. By the way I use Mozilla Firefox for my web browser.

I appreciate what you say about not particularly wanting to sell through tihs forum Frank but there are many photographers in the motorhoming fraternity who might well be happier to buy from someone they know, even if only through a forum.

D.

Michele

www.wilkinson.co.uk

Dave - I used to use Firefox but found it was slow downloading some websites so it might be you after all, try Internet Explorer as I've gone back to it as I got fed up of waiting for Firefox.

Frank's home webpage just loaded in 2 seconds in IE, and after going into the Digital SLRs pages, the longest one took to load was 4 seconds.

Hi again, I've just checked it again in IE and it came in at 8 seconds, went back to Firefox and it was back up to 30 seconds so it might well be a firefox issue. I prefer Firefox as its more secure (reputedly) and most of the time its as fast as IE, especially as I've tweaked the settings to speed up page downloads. It'll still be interesting to see what other users experience but it'll be useful if you can say what browser you're using.

D.

I had same result as Michele. Loaded up instantly in I.E, but was a bit slow loading up the searches. Should be faster than this, as people these days don't hang about for long on slow searches as you could be there all day. Sorry Frank. But it's better that we tell you than lose custom in the long term.

Peter,

maybe that might be because as i stated when I first tried it was 180 people and it was shooting up to 350 that's alot of people hitting the site at once that was whilst online ?.

I dont know maybe I,m totally out of my dept and you are correct just an Idea.? *-)

Archived