Fitting 12v sockets

Barryd999

paid2travel - 2020-07-21 1:52 PM

....Have only two original factory continental sockets installed which I guess supply the AC when on hook-up and DC when off road?? One socket is under the dinette table & the other on a facia panel below bunk beds. At the moment, the dinette socket is connected to a UK extension lead for when intend to hook-up in the UK which seems to be fine so when going abroad, we’ll just remove the extension lead and use the original continental socket for hook-up while staying in aires...

Just to emphasise Robinhood's advice, the 2 items will be 230V SOCKET OUTLETS. - that is their sole purpose.

I don't know where you've got the idea that they might supply 12V DC power as an alternative to 230V mains power, but they will not.

Nor do I understand what you are doing with the extension lead, unless you think you can somehow power your motorhome's 230V system 'backwards' through the socket outlets.

Perhaps I should have emphasised my ‘very novice head’ much more and upgraded it to total beginner’s head instead 8-). Although the replies to my post have been extremely helpful and forensic like in the detail, it’s not only enlightened me (up to a point) but more importantly, highlighted the fact that I’m not yet ready to take on this sort of work myself until I’m much more knowledgeable on it.

At least I know I’m not going to make that silly mistake of confusing a socket between 12v & 240v or worse still, thinking they are one of the same! But I suppose if I don’t ask, I’ll never find out things and eventually make even bigger mistakes (lol).

So after all that, I’m guessing that as the only fixed power supply seems to be those two AC mains sockets, other than the cigar lighter & a 12v DIN socket (which I’ve also now learnt are the same thing) on my dashboard, I’ve got no fixed 12v habitation circuit already in place at present. I don’t have any fixed USB or 12v DIN sockets so I’m guessing this confirms that.

Therefore, unless I only wanted to feed off the lighting circuit specifically for USB power only, the only other option would be to add 12v DIN sockets which would either be direct from the leisure batteries or from my EBL99, and from what’s been pointed out to me, EBL99 might be more neater as it can be isolated or controlled through my existing control panel switch.

Just to try and clarify Derek’s point about the mystery of my extension lead, I failed to mention that the lead had a 2pin EU plug fitted to it years ago so we could use additional UK appliances while abroad on holiday.

paid2travel - 2020-07-23 12:29 AM

...Just to try and clarify Derek’s point about the mystery of my extension lead, I failed to mention that the lead had a 2pin EU plug fitted to it years ago so we could use additional UK appliances while abroad on holiday.

I’ve no problem with a ‘converting’ extension cable being plugged into a 230V socket outlet. My LHD Hobby motorhome had Germany-norm Schuko 230V outlets all over the place (including in the washroom) and I used to use those sockets (via travel adapters or an extension cable) to power UK mains electrical appliances that had a UK-norrm 3-pin plug. It was just your wording that threw me...

Suggest you invest in the late-John Wickersham’s book “The Motorcaravan Manual”

https://haynes.com/en-gb/motorcaravan-manual-3rd-edition

It’s a little out of date now (but less so than the Bible) but still invaluable for basic background technical information.

There aren't really any silly questions, especially if you ask and the answers avoid you making silly mistakes. ;-)

Just one clarification; a cigar-lighter socket and a DIN socket aren't the same, though they look quite similar. One takes a cigar lighter plug (or of course, a cigar lighter), the other takes a DIN plug (there's logical for you). The DIN plug/socket are sometimes dubbed Hella. The two are not interchangeable.

The DIN plug and socket tends to be a more positive fit due to its construction (but you may well find a cigar lighter socket more useful, if you want to add a removable USB charger, as these are generally designed to fit such a socket).

Connecting a new circuit back to the EBL isn't really that difficult, but I can understand the reluctance. It has the advantages of, not playing with existing circuitry, isolation from the control panel (except for certain connections as above), and easy fusing, with a fuse-way already in the circuit at the EBL (though possibly left unfused from the factory).

The picture below shows a DIN/Hella plug with a converter to two cigar lighter sockets, serving to show the diffrence in plug, and the fact that you can buy single or multi-way converters of various types.

154a2724285b5e6ce072ee0b5831a4d94403f934

OK thanks all for the advice and links,

I’ve actually found a 12v socket (Berker 12v single pole) and an additional Berker 230v 2 pin socket quite well concealed beneath the cooking unit so at least I have a proper 12v circuit from one of them I guess.

Not sure about the purpose of a 12v single pole socket though but from what I’ve read, these Berker sockets are pretty high quality and cope better with higher amperage etc. Just need an adaptor for it as it’s a different size to other 12v cigar sizes.

So perhaps Robinhood's example of an adaptor could do that?

IMG_20200725_193240A.jpg.816041b7e793d058afe9991fa185ce80.jpg

Not easy to see from the picture, but that does indeed look like a DIN/Hella socket. The plug is as per the previous picture.

You can buy trailing converters to a cigar-lighter socket as per the picture (single-way are also available), or you can buy a plug-type converter that simply plugs in and the outer end is a cigar-lighter socket.

You can also buy plugs that are convertible between cigar-lighter and DIN sockets by removal of a little collar round the plug (useful if you have it attached to something you might want to use in both types of socket).

Straight_universal_plug_1.jpg

Also various other combinations that may be useful (e.g. USB chargers):

main_2f59393abc5d65e046ccff07ffdbbcd7.jp

Thanks Robinhood !

Thinking of either getting…

1) Convertible cigar/DIN plug as in your example pic https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000X1BGWM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

plus with an adaptor with extension lead https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HPW31J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ASXGKVPQ5QGMH&psc=1

Or

2) A replacement Berker 12 volt socket with a UK 3 pin https://www.outdoorbits.com/berker-12-volt-socket-p-7414.html

(Edit - see below)

The first bit almost makes sense :-).

You don't need both the adapter/extension and the plug, unless you're going to use the plug to attach to something else 12v. I suspect you could buy a cigar-lighter extension lead with the *universal* plug at the other end. That would allow conversion from the DIN socket, and extension from a Cigar-Lighter socket (the dash, whilst driving?) with the same unit.

I'm confused by the second bit, largely by the reference to 3-pin UK.

If you're considering changing to a Berker "cigar lighter" socket, then I'd personally stick with a DIN socket, especially in that location. They are usually a much more positive fit, and you're going to need an extension anyway to put whatever 12v unit you're powering out of the way.

(Have you conflated two ideas, possibly considering replacing the continental 230V socket with a UK 3-pin one? If so, it's possible, and the part is cheap, but I'd start out using a continental adapter to attach UK 3-pin plugs - if you tour the continent it is always useful to have one or two of these in the 'van. SWMBO is the main user for a hairdryer in washrooms).

oops!

should read...

2) A replacement Berker 12 volt socket. https://www.outdoorbits.com/berker-12-volt-socket-p-7414.html

yes will likely stick with the original DIN socket and use an adaptor plus keep the plug for other options if we use a device regularly when touring over there.

I have three 230v continental sockets so might change one or so to UK and keep at least one 2 pin spare, just need to decide which one to leave alone.

Archived