Electric cycle insurance

Zydeco Joe

What insurance have people took out for electric cycles that will be used in Europe while travelling in a motorhome, any good companies that you can recommend please. Just found that our home insurance via the C&MC does not cover electric cycles and van cover is Comfort ins :-S

Not much help to you this year, but my home insurance is with LV. With 9 months left on the policy it cost me £15 to add my ebike. Not only was that far cheaper than stand alone bike insurance, but the only stipulation is that the bike be locked to an immovable object if outside. The specific bike policies I looked at were quite prescriptive as to which locks were acceptable.

Zydeco Joe - 2019-08-16 12:31 PM

What insurance have people took out for electric cycles that will be used in Europe while travelling in a motorhome, any good companies that you can recommend please. Just found that our home insurance via the C&MC does not cover electric cycles and van cover is Comfort ins :-S

Do you mean insuring whilst using on the road or insuring against theft or damage.

Have now taken on a new insurance company's house policy that covers us for up to 180 days away with the bikes covered that's better for us than the one from the C&MC. Separate bike only cover would have cost us more when you add the two policy's together (house + bikes). Thanks all for your imput. Have a good weekend. B-)

Went via Comfort the one that lots of motorhomes are insured with. They offered us house ins with Aviva with up to 180 days cover for the home while we are away in the motorhome including the electric bike cover but not if you are using hotels etc, that is for just 60 days but as we only use the motorhome all should be ok.

Randonneur - 2019-08-16 8:07 PM Do you mean insuring whilst using on the road or insuring against theft or damage.

Surely you not allowed to ride one of those without it being insured I'd not like to take a chance if you ran into anyone an got sued it could cost you 1000's in compensation

witzend - 2019-08-19 9:58 PM

Randonneur - 2019-08-16 8:07 PM Do you mean insuring whilst using on the road or insuring against theft or damage.

Surely you not allowed to ride one of those without it being insured I'd not like to take a chance if you ran into anyone an got sued it could cost you 1000's in compensation

An electric bike will not go faster under the motor power than 15.5mph, indeed the additional mass of motor and battery means they are normally slower than a conventional bike on the flat - about 17 -22mph under most club riders, 23- 30ishmph for a athlete. So if you can ride a conventional bike without separate insurance why would you not be "allowed to ride one of those"?

Fast Pat - 2019-08-20 7:39 AM

So if you can ride a conventional bike without separate insurance why would you not be "allowed to ride one of those"?

We have third party liability for our conventional bike's and think it should be mandatory especially now that they are allowed to be ridden on cycleways among pedestrians

I believe most insurance policies include third party liability away from home (at least mine does). Having read my policy carefully I am satisfied that that cover extends to liabilities arising from the use of bicycles and ebikes.

Archived