What3words

jumpstart

peterjl - 2019-08-17 9:24 AM

Could be o life saver in an emergency, gives your location that can be used by emergency services.

Peter

Not for me it couldn't. Just had a look and it thinks I'm 2 miles from my actual location.

aandy - 2019-08-17 10:48 AM

Could be o life saver in an emergency, gives your location that can be used by emergency services.

Peter

Not for me it couldn't. Just had a look and it thinks I'm 2 miles from my actual location.

Hi. If your phone is not placing you at the correct location that will be your phones fault not the app.

I use GPS for trail running and an error of hundred metres is not unusual

Peter

peterjl - 2019-08-17 11:46 AM

aandy - 2019-08-17 10:48 AM

Peter

Hi. If your phone is not placing you at the correct location that will be your phones fault not the app.

I use GPS for trail running and an error of hundred metres is not unusual

Peter

I was checking it out on the PC but you're right, when I went to Google maps it put me at the same place.

Sounds very clever & very simple but I personally don't want people to know where I am?

I do not put my home address/co-ordinates in a Sat Nav,, rarely have my location "on" on my Android, and often turn the Android off if I'm not using it, so my "cell" position is not broadcasting.

I can't do much about my registration plates on my car which are read by many road cameras, but would if I could!

To my knowledge, I don't have any modern household equipment that is sending messages and images and maybe conversations back to the CIA or Chinese, and I have barred Alexa & Cortana from my house. No smart meter in my house!

If I use a satnag I tell it where to go, not the other way round. I can sit for hours reading a paper map - they are fascinating!

I want to be an individual, not a tag on a few bits or bytes floating round the ether, that any nefarious bods or government departments (same thing?) can track.

I realise I am hitting my head against a brick wall, but if I can screw some of the trackers up then I'm content.

Jeremy on Romney Marsh .... Oh bugger!

laimeduck - 2019-08-19 1:18 PM

Sounds very clever & very simple but I personally don't want people to know where I am?

I do not put my home address/co-ordinates in a Sat Nav,, rarely have my location "on" on my Android, and often turn the Android off if I'm not using it, so my "cell" position is not broadcasting.

I can't do much about my registration plates on my car which are read by many road cameras, but would if I could!

To my knowledge, I don't have any modern household equipment that is sending messages and images and maybe conversations back to the CIA or Chinese, and I have barred Alexa & Cortana from my house. No smart meter in my house!

If I use a satnag I tell it where to go, not the other way round. I can sit for hours reading a paper map - they are fascinating!

I want to be an individual, not a tag on a few bits or bytes floating round the ether, that any nefarious bods or government departments (same thing?) can track.

I realise I am hitting my head against a brick wall, but if I can screw some of the trackers up then I'm content.

Jeremy on Romney Marsh .... Oh bugger!

Hi Jeremy

I think you misunderstand the app. It only gives your location if you want someone else to have reference point. So, if you are walking in Lake District and break your ankle, as I have done, you find your location on your phone and give that to emergency services. It’s easier and more accurate than a map ref from a paper map.

Peter

peterjl - 2019-08-19 1:38 PM

Hi Jeremy

I think you misunderstand the app. It only gives your location if you want someone else to have reference point. So, if you are walking in Lake District and break your ankle, as I have done, you find your location on your phone and give that to emergency services. It’s easier and more accurate than a map ref from a paper map.

Peter

Peter - you are probably right, and you will realise that much of my reply was tongue in cheek. I have no reason to use the app so am not really interested.

However, when one reads about things like toasters etc having the capability of gathering data about you, I have a healthy scepticism about using such things!

I am quite content to assume that if it has anything to do with digital communication then there is a fair chance that it can be hacked and used for unintended purposes - and someone will.

I despair at some of my colleagues who have an absolute faith in the current technology, who cannot get from A to B without electronic guidance and many of whom who are losing the ability to write - they can only use their thumbs! (Tongue firmly in cheek again!)

laimeduck - 2019-08-19 4:20 PM

peterjl - 2019-08-19 1:38 PM

Hi Jeremy

Peter

Peter - you are probably right, and you will realise that much of my reply was tongue in cheek. I have no reason to use the app so am not really interested.

However, when one reads about things like toasters etc having the capability of gathering data about you, I have a healthy scepticism about using such things!

I am quite content to assume that if it has anything to do with digital communication then there is a fair chance that it can be hacked and used for unintended purposes - and someone will.

I despair at some of my colleagues who have an absolute faith in the current technology, who cannot get from A to B without electronic guidance and many of whom who are losing the ability to write - they can only use their thumbs! (Tongue firmly in cheek again!)

I have some sympathy with your thoughts,W3W would only be a back up system in certain circumstances. If you have ever attended a Dr surgery then you are “in” the system.

laimeduck - 2019-08-19 4:20 PM

You are not alone Jeremy !

I too am amazed at the trust that people are putting into electronic gadgets.

A man was dropped off at my house by a colleague, to collect a hire car that I had finished with.

I handed him the keys and left him to it.

After 5 minutes or so I realised that he was still on my drive and obviously had a problem.

His problem was that his satnav had packed up and he literally had no idea where he was, how he got here - or how he could get to his next client.

( I introduced him to a paper map and we sorted it out ).

Presumably this new gadget - which I can see could be useful at times - relies on you having a phone signal wherever you need help.

The essentials of modern living are now a supply of food, drink, and a battery charger

A relative tells me she now relies on Alexa to check how to spell - so even English spelling will soon be a thing of the past.

;-)

Archived