Solar panel adhesive

ChrisCM

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice re the type of bonding adhesive to use to fix my new solar panels. I’ve gone for 2x 100 w panels. I’ve ordered some 50x50 3mm aluminium angle to bolt the panels to, this will then be fixed to the ribs running back to front on my Ducato Campervan. The bonding surface area is quite substantial 2x 50 x 1000mm for one and 2x 50 x 700 for the other. I’m inclined to go with Sikaflex 292i which has twice the bond strength of Sikaflex 291, but at 3 x the price! So, given the bond area, is the 292 overkill? And what have you used?

Chris

i used 292i, its just not the sort of thing i wanted to skimp on, but on another forum they compared strength and this has an even higher shear strength than 292i and is only £6.50 from screwfix or amazon

https://www.screwfix.com/p/soudal-fix-all-high-tack-adhesive-sealant-white-290ml/64585

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soudal-White-High-Tack-Sealant/dp/B005I30W6Q

I can't comment on it as havent used it but its 1 third of the price of the sikaflex

Thanks Guys,

I’ve just bought 3 tubes of 292i, but it appears that On Board Energy have sent the wrong size panels!

So it may be a few days before I can get them fitted.

Interesting re the Screwfix adhesive, may try that for lower stressed items such as the cable glands.

It's interesting to see some recommendation for Soudal Fix-All because that's what I used to install my set of plastic (ABS?) panel feet/brackets (same as Witzend's). I tested 5 or 6 adhesives that I had access to ranging from polyurethanes through to ms & hybrid polymers (although not including 292i) and Fix-All was the clear winner. All the others, once cured, could just be peeled off the plastic bracket but the Fix-All was immovable. In fact I had to cut and sand it off the bracket in order to be able to fit the bracket on the roof.

It's cheap and another advantage it that it stays usable in the nozzle of the cartridge for weeks and weeks; just unscrew the nozzle cap and it's good to go.

Something of a wonder product and I've started using it for many other seal and stick jobs.

I see witzend is using brake cleaner to degrease the roof, I have a load of acetone as well as isopropyl alcohol and spray brake cleaner, of the three I should think that acetone is the most effective degreaser but will it react with the paintwork on the roof?, the isopropyl alcohol is pretty benign and I’d happily use that. Do we know what’s in brake cleaner, it evaporates very quickly so I’m suspecting alcohol of some sort?

Fiat paint durability on the Ducato can become a problem after a few years, the silver finish being most affected. The usual fault is detachment between the finish coat and the primer. This can lead to failure of solar panel brackets no matter how good the adeshive used.

A similar promlems has been reported on Sprinter vans.

Having additional mechanical fixing seems necessary for safety.

Mike

Archived