heads up on tyre safety

silverback

Hi all, just a heads up to check your tyre walls not just on the outside but more importantly on the inside, why?.....because we use our Mo Ho quite a lot so consequently my car hardly gets used 1000 miles a year, now my car tyres were 5 years old and looked okay, but at its MOT it failed 2 of the tyres had split right through the wall about 6 inch long, the tester said i was very lucky not to have had a blow out at speed, the reason for these splits was because the car had been standing for long periods, so i thought just like most motorhomes do...so check the inside of your tyres!!!!!!!

Jonathan

Good advice - though thoroughly inspecting a tyre’s condition visually will demand that the wheel be removed from the vehicle beforehand.

I once owned a Toyota Corolla that I used for a 55-mile round-trip commute to work. When I retired in 1996 I decided to sell the car and, prior to offering it for sale, I took off its wheels to clean them. That’s when I discovered that the inner wall of one of the rear tyres was deeply split all the way round.

The tyre was made by Vredestein and the car had passed its MOT test recently. There’s little doubt that the tyre was split when the MOT test was carried out, but although the split was fairly obvous when the tyre/wheel had been removed and cleaned I can easily understand that a tester would not have noticed it as the split was very close to the rim.

The tyre had done a relatively low mileage and the tyre-fitting outlet that had originally provided it replaced it on a like-for-like basis and asked the manufacturer for a goodwill payment. If I remember correctly I got £25

Archived