Hans

Hans - 2019-09-18 9:02 PM

If you click on the right mouse button you can see My Avatar Large. That is not the case whit the others?

Yes, that also works for me - but only after having adjusted the system preferences of my iMac relating to my wired Apple mouse to activate its right-button functionality. I’m not sure what impact doing this will have on my wife, who also uses the iMac but couldn’t care less about the mouse buttons’ capabilities.

(I can do something similar with my iPad, but obviously not using a mouse.)

It seems to be a lot easier to add an avatar for the first time than to replace an existing avatar. To replace an avatar I use the the following procedure (with my iMac)

1. Store on your computer the image that you want to appear aqs an avatar on your postings. The file-extension doesn’t seem to be critical and .jpg. .jpeg, or .gif files have all worked OK for me when I have experimented. The size of the file that contains the image must not exceed 50KB - anything larger will produce a ‘file too large’ message at the forum's file-transfer stage.

2. Click on the “Forums Control Panel” button and scroll down to the “Images” section.

3. In the “Upload profle image” box, click on the “Choose File” button and select the appropriate file from your computer. The file name (Let’s say I choose rapido.jpeg) should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button and, after that has happened, click on the “Go” button.

4. If the image that now appears between “Existing Image” and “Delete Image” is not what you anticipated, a) do not be surprised as that’s very likely what will happen and b) do not be concerned as the next steps should sort it out!

5. If the image is wrong, go to the “Profile image URL” line in the “Edit your Profile” section of your Control Panel. The Profile image URL box should contain the following text string

/forums/profile/get-photo.asp?memberid=231&type=profile

where the number (231 in this example) will differ from forum-member to forum-member.

6. Add to the text-string

&file=

followed by the name of the file on your computer that you chose in the Images section.

So if the name of the file that was chosen was rapido.jpeg the text-string in the "Profile image URL” box will need to have

&file=rapido.jpg

added to it so that (in this example’s case) it should read

/forums/profile/get-photo.asp?memberid=231&type=profile&file=rapido.jpeg

7. Now click on the “Submit” button at the foot of the “Edit your profile” section and, when the “Profile updated successfully” message has appeared, the correct image should show in the “Images” section and appear on your postings.

This may sound like a complex and long-winded procedure, but it isn’t really. The "Upload profile Image” process does operate as one might reasonably expect, though the result seems to be unpredictable as to which image appears after the “Go” button has been pressed if you’ve uploaded a profile-image previously. The critical thing though is to make the &file=file-name addition to the “Profile image URL” text-string to identify the correct file.

A similar procedure can be used to upload/replace a personal photo. If you click on the “PROFILE” button on this posting and then on the “This user has a photo available” line, you’ll see the effect.

Archived