How the professionals do it.

Billggski

Just called into Cara motorhomes to discuss gas burner on my 3 way fridge.

I got chatting to the guy cleaning the mohos and caravans. He showed me how it's done to keep the roof and sides clean, even with trees overhead.

Wash with good quality detergent, rinse and then spray "Autoglym Coat It" using a high pressure hose with a foaming bottle. Rinse off and that's it. No need to dry or polish the surface.

It's expensive £50 for five litres for the trade, or £18 for one litre bottle as Polar Seal from car shops.

But he says you use a 1% solution, so it lasts a long time and keeps it clean.

As a professional myself I have to say that many manufacturers make these sealants or aquawax. Some last longer than others, but are never as good as a coat of wax. Don't be fooled by technical terms, usually the only person that benefits is the guy that's selling it. Best not to use a detergent on a regular basis, better to use a good car shampoo

Thanks for the information from both of you. I have a large Tag Axle van and cleaning is becoming a chore at my age. :-(

I have a Karcher pressure washer but have never used the foam attachment. I see there is a 3 stage cleaning system from Autoglym which I will try from now on.

I tried snowfoam after a friend recommended it and have been very pleased just spray it on leave it for a few mins and hose it off best used when the van is wet and a dull day if theres any streaks give it a rub with a brush before hosing it off.

https://tinyurl.com/y4mr39aq done van and car twice with this size bottle and seems to be enough left to do them at least once again

Snowfoam is an excellent way to clean a motorhome, it will remove the sharp edged road grit without contact. If using a pressure washer always use a low pressure, adjust the fan to wide, keep the nozzle at least a metre away from the surface and keep it moving, never stopping in one place. I haven't used the Demon snowfoam so cannot comment on how good or bad it is. If your pressure washer doesn't have adjustment, it's not suitable for cleaning your motorhome. Snowfoam will not remove all the grime on a motorhome so should be followed up with a wash with a good car shampoo, using brushes are okay as long as you use plenty of shampoo and water.

I drove a Rapido for 6 years and only ever thought of washing it when it rained and only then by using a soft broom.

Over my years I dealt with many surfaces which, in general are best left alone, if you are fortunate to be the first owner then leave the surface alone, once its damaged it can never be reinstated.

As for the professionals all they do is use the strongest aid they can, why should they care what happens later ... that's general wear and tear.

Will86 - 2019-09-23 3:00 PM

I drove a Rapido for 6 years and only ever thought of washing it when it rained and only then by using a soft broom.

Over my years I dealt with many surfaces which, in general are best left alone, if you are fortunate to be the first owner then leave the surface alone, once its damaged it can never be reinstated.

As for the professionals all they do is use the strongest aid they can, why should they care what happens later ... that's general wear and tear.

Rapid have a textured roof, great for walking on but gives moss a strong footing, so not cleaning on a regular basis is foolish. Speaking as a professional I use appropriate cleaners that will not damage, but I can't speak for professionals that mostly valet cars.

Archived