Anyone else getting fed up with this

dawki

Hi I’m sure there’s lots of dog owners on here and I don’t wish to offend

But unfortunately I have to say that I’m fed up with some dogs/owners on campsites

Just back from a site in sussex where a couple of owners just let their dogs roam of lead on to other pitches despite site rules stating must be on lead all times

Both mornings we was woken at 6.30 by several dogs continual barking

One pitch near us had a 6ft high x6ft wide cage erected by the owners they put there huge dog in it but every time someone walked past it would stand on its back legs and the dog was big enough for its head to be above the top of the cage to let out loud barks at passers by

There’s been a few other things in the last year

Including coming back to our pitch and being greeted by a dog from the next pitch going right under our van and through to our side on his stretched lead snarling and barking at us

Another site we sat at the site restaurant outside having dinner when a chap came along tied his dog to the next table and disappeared inside for 20 mins leaving the dog barking non stop right beside us

I’m not normally one to whinge and I have a lot of interest in wildlife and animals but does anyone else feel the same about some dogs/owners

I think it’s time for some dog free pitches/areas on sites

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a dog lover, as they frighten off any wildlife that I may wish to observe, be it red squirells, deer or birds. I do not appreciate dogs jumping up at me with dirty paws or not.

My wife was in her younger days a dog owner, and is perhaps slightly more tolerant, but even she does not codone the situations described above. In our opinion leads should mean short leads, so that the dog is unable to leave a path, or dash into a road.

We have on at least two occasions stayed a large site at Paekakariki, North Island NZ. We we pleased to note that the site had a designated dog owners area. However we had to pitch well away from that area, in order to avoid the cacophony of barking.

Alan

We've seen so many examples. Dogs on extending leads running over pitches, under vans and pretty much anywhere they want. Dog fouling pretty much everywhere even on our pitch in broad daylight and in full view earlier this year. A pitch at the Castleton CC site last year was so fouled it was shut down until it could be properly cleaned and disinfected. The owners will say they'll pick it up but, whilst the collect the 'big bits', they leave the residue and walk away. Last year at the CC Morton in Marsh site the bloke in the next van waited until we'd gone to the shower block for our late evening visit before leaving his van and letting his dog foul our pitch. He didn't realise we had seen him and explained his actions as not wanting to get himself, or his dog, wet because it was raining hard!!!! Talking to the Wardens the next morning they told us it was a constant problem. Last August their was a terrible commotion in the Ladies showers at the Hawes CC site when a lady took her large dog into a shower cubicle to wash it down. Next day she came up with a better solution to her very muddy dog. She took it into the chemical toilet emptying place and hosed it down with the hose there leaving a thick coating of mud on the floor for someone else to clean up. She was adamant that the site wardens were paid to clean such things up!!

It's always said that it's the minority of dog owners who let such things happen and that the majority are responsible and manage their dogs properly. I'm afraid that our experience says it's the other way round and, perhaps, the Caravan Club, when it changed its name, should have changed it to The Caravan, Motorhome and Irresponsible Dog Owners Club.

FD

I’m with you on this one. We’ve just spent a few days on a corner pitch. Every morning a woman with 5 ( 5 ! ) assorted dogs came out of a nearby caravan and let them all wee on the grass and down the lighting bollard only a couple of metres from our van. She then went back inside her van. When I suggested - politely- she took them elsewhere I was told that it was not my pitch and therefore not my business. I should have reported her to the wardens but frankly, we were going next day anyway.

Earlier this year we were sited right next to a really yappy dog , luckily for only one night, who started to bark every time anyone even coughed on the site. I suspect someone might have killed it later in the week, or the owners.

I agree entirely. I never blame the dogs, only ever the owners who drag their yelping balls of fluff along with them trapped in a small box in wheels with mummy and daddy.

Sorry but I don't refer to them as dog lovers, I think they are far more selfish than that.

I ‘m sure there are far more dogs around than ever before. They seem to be a fashion accessory and everyone has at least one. Most owners don’t have a clue as to how to train their dog, stop it peeing and pooing all over, barking continuously and walking properly on a lead . The long extending leads are so dangerous, especially when we are on our bikes and using a shared foot and cycle path. I really feel sorry for many dogs who aren’t properly exercised and probably not properly fed. Still their owners slobber all over them and expect you to do the same. I suppose dogs don’t answer back, criticise their owner and have their paws on the Like button all the time.

Totally agree with all this. We've experienced all of it both in the UK and abroad. And now it seems these people don't just have one or maybe two dogs, its got to be four or five or more! On one site in Spain last year going down to the loo block was like running a gauntlet of barking and snapping dogs, many with British owners but not all. My husband was riding his bike through Ilfracombe a couple of years ago and was nearly tipped off it by a dog on an extending lead on one side of the main street while the owners were on the other side. In the same town a woman told him she was entitled to park her SUV in a motorhome bay because she had dogs!

Hmmm! I’m not going to apologise for the bother from dogs, the problem comes ( as some have suggested) from the owners. What you have been describing comes down to bad behaviour and lack of training on the humans’ part, and my suggestion is to report them to site managers.

I would add that the few times we’ve been upset by other site users, it’s been drunk adults who don’t realise or care how far their voices carry late into the night, or (possibly the same adults) who let their children shout and scream after they ought to be in bed.

I guess we all need to be considerate of others, and perhaps braver about complaining.

According to the posts on our village Facebook group we no longer have footpaths in the surrounding countryside. They are apparently "doggie walks" which presumably goes some way to explaining the full poop bags left hanging from various trees and bushes, or even on some occasions the style or gate catches.

When I asked what possessed people to engage in such idiocy the response was that it is the council's fault because they don't put poop bins in the fields and it is apparently too far to expect anyone to walk to the nearest bin holding the bags!!! Kicking the deposits into the undergrowth without bagging them in plastics that take hundreds of years to degrade is obviously beyond their understanding.

I do actually like dogs. In most cases it is the owners that need training. I do a lot of walking but have suffered several hundred pounds worth of damage to clothing as well as a few bites over the last 40 odd years, from untrained and uncontrolled animals.

Sorry, rant over.

This summer at Chatsworth an off the lead dog killed one of the ducks that live and breed on site, owner of dog said “ it’s never done that before “ , incident reported to wardens ( outcome unknown) . Personally I would of chucked him off site and suspended his membership.

I totally agree that irresponsible dog owners are becoming an increasing problem on sites .Wardens need to get medieval on them ! (^)

I can only agree with some of the sentiments posted here. Although dog owners ourselves we too have been subjected to ill behaved dogs and also by loud, foul mouthed adults, screaming kids running riot and wardens taking every opportunity to spoil a lovely relaxed afternoon by insisting on cutting the grass to just 2mm high or trying to blow leaves away when it's windy.

Fortunately, we have not come across moaning campers very often but maybe there should be a separate area set aside for them?

David

We travel with 4 dogs at the moment and have had 6 at one time. Our first consideration is that they will not be a nuisance to others. None of them have ever been yappy and we don't do Club Sites, mainly THS or CS and some wilding. On any kind of site we ask for a pitch on the edge so that pees and poos are not a problem for anyone.

Badly behaved dog owners are just symptomatic of todays Society ... all areas of Society.

dawki - 2019-09-22 1:04 PM

I have to say that I’m fed up with some dogs/owners on campsites

I think it’s time for some dog free pitches/areas on sites

Well your not alone I think there ought to be dog free sites as there are child free sites nothing worse than dogs or children except maybe a generator

The trouble is no one who got one can hear it

spirou - 2019-09-23 4:12 AM

I guess these problems develop with age :D

No, but I think many older people remember a time when dog owners knew how to raise their dog responsibly, had respect for others and made sure they were not disturbed by their dogs,, considered the environment and did not let them spoil lawns and public playing fields, were not too idle to give their dogs a good walk, picked up and disposed of their dirt safely and understood that a dog who barked persistently is not the norm.

I fear many of the young do not understand any of this.

Fifo - 2019-09-23 8:09 AM
spirou - 2019-09-23 4:12 AMI guess these problems develop with age :D
No, but I think many older people remember a time when dog owners knew how to raise their dog responsibly, had respect for others and made sure they were not disturbed by their dogs,, considered the environment and did not let them spoil lawns and public playing fields, were not too idle to give their dogs a good walk, picked up and disposed of their dirt safely and understood that a dog who barked persistently is not the norm. I fear many of the young do not understand any of this.

I think many older people will remember a time when there weren't so many dogs!  Does anyone know how many dogs there are in this country?  Has there been any official "census"? 

Ok, here’s a plan: divide middle of sites into areas:

Irresponsible dog owners;

Drunks (with or without noisy children);

Noisy children (with or without adults, some don’t seem to have any);

Vehicles with faulty alarms;

Totally pointless flashing night lights and generators;

Barbecue users (gas and charcoal, both environmental hazards).

Each one subdivided into Brexiteers and Remainers.

The few people who don’t ’t fit into one of these can be on the periphery.

Where are those with noisy flags going to go ?

And the smokers ? Why don’t they do it in their van if the smell is so good ?

What about the vapers who leave everyone in a wet cloud that smells like a Turkish brothel ?

And the panel van owners who have to have at least 3 noisy attempts to close their sliding door ?

Soon there’ll be just me, virtuous,, quiet and with no bad habits, on a campsite.

Conrad J - 2019-09-23 8:38 AM

Like it :-D but you forgot vans with sliding doors (lol)

747 - 2019-09-22 8:42 PM

Badly behaved dog owners are just symptomatic of todays Society ... all areas of Society.

This ^^^^^^ .

Thoughtless, selfish,inconsiderate people(of any age), are going to be just that, irrespective of whether they own a dog or not.

Of the dog owners we know (in-laws, neighbours), ALL of them seem oblivious when their dogs behaviour is clearly impacting on others...they just seem to "tune it out".

I think "Stuwsmith" makes a good point about the numbers of dogs now..Every other house around here seems to have one(or two!). Most are left alone(shut in?) all day, to bark at anything/anyone, whilst their owners are out at work :-S

Conrad J - 2019-09-23 8:38 AM

Yes maybe there is some merit in having different areas - after all, none of us wants to be near somebody different now do we. What I am concerned about though is when the sites are divided up how will I know that an anti dog person isnt freely walking about my area when I've paid extra for my dog to have a pee on the grass? I think there would need to be some kind of backstop agreed to stop this from happening and ensure that everyone obeys the rules or it could just end in chaos

David

Archived