Alternator issue on Fiat Ducato burstner

Bob Coggins

Hi all

I've got a bit of a an alternator issue and looking for advice..

My battery light came on Friday evening outside Nantes. Checked the battery (with multi meter) and was holding 12.6v then. Parked up for the night, then proceeded into Nantes Saturday, 40 min spin. Got here and checked again, still 12.6v bizzarely (no lights or appliances used..) but when I take off the alternator lead and read power it's sending to the battery at tickover it read 11.6v.. plugged into shore power here and has engine batt back up over 13v for now...

Found a recon alternator here in Nantes, but struggling to get someone to fit it here (the 747 is big and not easy to get into smaller garages, lots of places saying they don't work on 'Camping Cars') and have the boat home on Wednesday...

So.. what's the chances of me making a 2 hour spin to Mont St Michel tomorrow, and another 2 to Cherbourg on Wednesday?! Possible?! I can charge over night tomorrow off shore power..

All opinions welcome!

I'd think you'd have no problems especially if you can charge it over night. If you put your meter across the battery terminals with the engine running what reading do you get. I drove my van for 2 yrs with the light on as it was still charging the battery isn't always the alternator at fault

You may be OK for a 2 hours drive if the battery is in reasionable condition. If you have jump leads or able to make a tempory connection, perhaps the leisure battery could be used in addition. If you have a solar panel connect this to the engine battery. For insurance consider a new engine battery as a replacement, this may be needed anyway if the engine battery is past its best. Most of the big supermarkets stock batteries and branches of Norauto will have batteries and most have workshops big enough to work on your van.( there are 3 branches in Nantes)

Mike

I drove all the way from the South of France to the UK with a faulty alternator.

Plug your multimeter into the cigar lighter and monitor the voltage. Don't use any indicators ( the French drivers won't notice) or anything else that will draw current.

I do have B to B charger and solar panels which put a few amps in, but for 2 hours you should be OK.

H

So, thanks for the opinions and input. Turns out the alternator was not working properly, and I doubt id have had enough juice to do 2 hours, as it was pissing rain and those wipers have lots of ground to cover.

I was blessed in that I called a Nantes Motor Factors called Pieces et Pneus dot com, and the owner Dominique had great English, worked with Perkins in Newcastle and knew his stuff about leisure vehicles in general... and was brilliant, found me a jobbing mechanic (Eric) to do the job, the part and gave sound advice.

Got on the road Tuesday night for ferry Wednesday afternoon, all went off well and total job cost €120 for recon alternator at short notice, and €50+ decent tip for the mechanic.. it was not a straightforward job...

Do look them up if you're ever in need, in Nantes!

Cheers!

Archived