Mirror cover

Accipiter Nisus

Following on from my last post, I'm about to receive a pair of second hand wing mirror covers. Unfortunately I realised too late that they come in two versions for long or short arm mirrors. The ones I'm waiting on are for long arm, but my van (2016 Elddis Accordo) is short arm.

As I say, I haven't got them in my hands yet, but from pictures the difference between the two types appears to be where they fit round the mirror supports which I thought might be altered with some careful cutting to allow them to fit. I wondered if anyone has had occasion, perhaps through change of vehicle, to adapt long style covers to a short arm unit. Or whether they're a subtley a different shape altogether.

Why would cutting them render them useless? From pictures it looks as though removing some material round the arm would allow them to fit. What I wanted to know is if the basic shape and size of the two types is the same. If so I don't see a minor adaptation would compromise their integrity at all. Clearly if the overall shape, depth etc. is different then it's a non starter.

I just wondered if any ingenious members of the forum had any experience of this. Anyway, I'll find out for myself in the next couple of days.

The wing mirrors for a 2016 Boxer/Ducato can be long-arm, medium-arm or short-arm.

My understanding is that a protector suitable for a long-arm mirror will also be suitable for a medium-arm mirror, but there are differences between a long/medium-arm protector and one suitable for a short-arm mirror. However, I’m pretty sure the difference is only on the edge of the protector that meets the arms and the basic shape of the protector is the same for all three types of mirror.

When I was talking to a “Mirror Guard” rep at an NEC Show some years ago, he demonstrated how the protector attached to the mirror itself by ‘trying’ it on a Moto-Trek coachbuilt motorhome that was being exhibited next door - except the protector would not fit. This was when it was realised that the Moto-Trek mirrors were the short-arm variety.

I don’t think you’ll have much difficulty adapting ‘your’ protectors by carefully removing material from the protectors’ shell on the arms-edge.

You might want to look at my comments here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Mirror-Guard-Adhesive-Pads/47774/

The thread relates to the current design of “Mirror Guard” protector and I suspect that the Van Comfort versions will lack the hard-foam lining. However, if the Van Comfort protectors are only retained by 2 or 3 double-sided adhesive pads, there’s the risk that they may fall off (or be easily pulled off!!)

Thanks Derek, that's useful to know. Once I receive the covers I'll have a go at adapting them to fit on my van. I've still got the damaged shell from the ruined mirror unit which I can stick together with tape and use as a template before I cut in earnest. I note your comment regarding the sticky tape fitting and I'll give some thought to improving on that.

My second hand mirror protectors turned up today and as far as I know they were originally supplied by Van Comfort for medium/long arm units. Anyway, If anyone should want know, it's a relatively simple job with a hacksaw blade and a file to enlage the cutouts in the guard to fit round the larger arms of the short armed housing. I imagine if you went from short to long they'd probably fit without alteration but they might not be aesthetically pleasing. For what was a faily expensive pair of covers well over £100 today I believe, I was surprised the plastic is only 3mm thick, but perhaps they'll do the job if I'm ever unfortunate enough to put them to the test.

Perhaps I become more cynical with the passing years, but I am astonished at the price of these things. Notwithstanding their value in terms of possibly saving smashed mirror units (what's a life jacket worth to a drowning man?), it must be a pretty simple mould to make and the cost of production can only be pennies.

Accipiter Nisus - 2019-09-30 4:47 PM

I was surprised the plastic is only 3mm thick, but perhaps they'll do the job if I'm ever unfortunate enough to put them to the test.

it must be a pretty simple mould to make and the cost of production can only be pennies.

Producing any plastic item revolves around many aspects .... Mould presses come in a variety of sizes from small almost table top size making wrist watch components to 10 meter monsters making car bumpers and wheelie bins. A mould tool can produce one or several items at a time.The materiel thickness is based on experience and will it do the job intended.

Sometimes there's a safety factor when a shape is designed to break at a given pressure so protecting other parts and the person driving.

When the projected quantity is reached the tool would be returned to store. Yes the cost of a single part probably is pennies but adding all that was involved raises the cost. If there is a demand for spares at a later date the tool will have to be cleaned and tested and may even need some modifications made due to outside changes from their original all adding to another cost.

I understand that unit price is dependent upon units sold, but I suspect there is also an element of charging what the market will stand.

I was suprised the thickness is only 3mm (which is the same as the casing of the mirror unit) as Mirror Guard, whose product is a similar price to Van Comfort quote their covers as being 5mm. Perhaps it has to do with the material they're made of. Anyway, I have what I have and at present I'm quite happy with them.

Archived