Understanding a German certificate of Conformity

weldted

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-06 7:41 AM

As Ted wants to know about possible safety recalls, it’s the Ducato build-date that matters more than the Burstner completion date.

...as I've said, technically, it's the VIN number rather than build date that is relevant for determining recall status.

The attachment I've posted above gives a VIN number range for all (*see below) Ducato recalls since the start of 2017, with the VIN number range of affected vehicles. I appreciate it isn't very readable asis, but is eminently so when downloaded.

In addition to the VIN number range, it gives the build start and end dates of the affected VIN number ranges; from this a view of the approximate build date can be determined from the VIN.

(Note: I think there is a typo on the original data on the second entry - the K in the final VIN number should be a zero I think. Also, in a couple of cases, the recall data only identifies the last 7 digits of the VIN, which is sufficient to identify a particular vehicle).

On the basis of what has been posted, I would think the OP's VIN number will start with ZFA2500002Gxxxxxxx or possibly ZFA2500002Hxxxxxx to put the FIAT build date in the date range suspected. (ZFA2500002GB1655 dates to 1/3/2018 build)

*and restating that there is a very recent, seemingly wide-ranging, recall not yet detailed in the VOSA data but flagged by FIAT itself - I'm awaiting a letter).

Nonetheless, if a definitive answer on both build date and recall status is required, visiting a FIAT dealer with the VIN number is the best way of obtaining it.

..in which case, I would guess that the FIAT build date was not long before the (June) Burstner completion date.

In addition, it would appear to be subject to the recall in the top entry of my attachment. Normally, one could check for outstanding recalls for a particular VIN using the "Fiatcamper" link I supplied, but I would suspect that it might also be subject to the as yet undocumented one, which would serve to confuse.

(Following other forums, this, announced in the last couple of weeks, appears to be a potentially faulty brake hose clip, that may fail and cause the hose to wear prematurely. It appears to have a large build date range, but is reputed to be simply a very quick check in most circumstances).

Whilst it might be annoying, with hindsight, to have bought a 'van at a price higher than you might have paid for it, had you known the history, if it is the 'van you wanted, (and it is indeed, as I suspect, a MY '19 van) then there is nothing you've lost out on, and the circumstances are far from uncommon. A later build date might well have had an additional recall.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just enjoy your 'van for what it is.

As already pointed out this isn't a rare situation, rather it can be the norm. As a case in point my local dealer sell a few new Rapido vans. They tend to buy-in a batch of 6 or so and then not restock until all those are sold. The current batch, of which 2 remain for sale as new were built in 2017 and arrived at the dealership late in that year i.e. almost 2 years ago. Punters walking into the showroom see a Sale sign offerring c. £6k off of these 2 vans but perhaps aren't aware that this sale started in August 2018. This dealer also operates an unsupervised open van policy so in those 2 years these vans have seen more footfalls, bed bounces and showe tray scatches than many a new van would see in its first 4 or 5 years of ownership. Myriad fixtures and fittings have been broken. Also I'd estimate that their tight new engines have been cold started and run for 2 minutes perhaps 100 times. Yet of course they remain new vans, unregistered and with delivery mileage.

It really is a case of caveat emptor.

Archived