Boarder checks in eu

jumpstart

Paul- - 2019-10-06 9:44 AM

I don't know anyone that voted for Brexit that wanted to stop workers from moving freely, however I know plenty that wanted controlled migration to stop murderers thieves and vagabonds moving freely (both ways).

Can you please desist from making posts full of common sense and truthfulness please.

You are destroying the ambience of the netherworld that Barry, Bluto and other hangers on frequent.

Thank you.

I would be willing to put money on it that I could go back over on posts on here and find stuff from each and everyone of you Brexiteers that says stuff about ending free movement being about stopping EU Workers coming here and taking jobs, stressing services and suppressing wages. Selective memories I reckon.

We had a vans regularly picking up local lads and lasses for crop picking but they stopped when they found could get cheaper foreign labour and retrieve money back from these workers by advertising in other EU countries that they have jobs with accommodation in all areas of the UK.

They've started advertising again in our local papers but the uptake is slow, once bit twice shy, or more the likely they have found other jobs, these from our area are multi nationals who wanted to work.

jumpstart - 2019-10-07 9:06 AM

Try me.

Labour picking fruit and veg is a red herring. There isn’t much that a machine can’t do. Just the way it’s going. Cheaper too.

Trust me, as someone who has worked with loads of farmers over the years if they could do it cheaper with a machine they would be already doing it. Lots of stuff is automated or machine driven on farms now anyway but not all. Cows can almost milk themselves now with machines and fruit picking technology is on the way but its probably about as far off completely replacing humans as that invisible border is that Johnson promised us.

Meanwhile a rise in costs for employing half decent Brits on higher wages or even immigrants if the pound devalues more could put farms out of business. Its getting hard to imagine how agriculture will survive in the future if Brexit goes ahead. Nobody to do the donkey work and huge tariffs on stuff like Lamb and Beef. It all points towards being ever more dependent on substandard imports from the likes of the USA. What will the farmers and their employees do? What will happen to the countryside?

The link to 'The Grocer' is nearest to the truth with low wages. Farmers are some of the greediest beggars under the Sun.

In the 70's we rented a Farm Cottage. My Wife was limited to any work with 2 small children and agreed to doing part time milking, usually afternoons. The greedy old git who owned the Farm wanted to pay out as little as possible. He had 2 Sons who worked the Farm, one was just like his Dad but posh and snobby with it. Luckily the other one was the 'hands on, practical one' who valued my Wife freeing him up to do other important jobs. She still worked for a pittance and I helped her by doing the mucking out when she had single handedly milked 120 Dairy Cows.

The rich Farmers are the ones who own thousands of Acres and use Tenant Farmers to do the work while they benefit from the CAP payouts.

747 - 2019-10-07 7:30 PM

The link to 'The Grocer' is nearest to the truth with low wages. Farmers are some of the greediest beggars under the Sun.

In the 70's we rented a Farm Cottage. My Wife was limited to any work with 2 small children and agreed to doing part time milking, usually afternoons. The greedy old git who owned the Farm wanted to pay out as little as possible. He had 2 Sons who worked the Farm, one was just like his Dad but posh and snobby with it. Luckily the other one was the 'hands on, practical one' who valued my Wife freeing him up to do other important jobs. She still worked for a pittance and I helped her by doing the mucking out when she had single handedly milked 120 Dairy Cows.

The rich Farmers are the ones who own thousands of Acres and use Tenant Farmers to do the work while they benefit from the CAP payouts.

Mostly true but the tenant farmers also get single farm payments which many cannot survive without. Its the hill farmers I feel will suffer the most where I am and I am seriously worried about them. The lower dales and crop farmers in the lowlands may do well, the further down the dales you go the wealthier they are and the least effected they will be. They get on my tits. Complain about paying a grand for a computer system when there is a brand new X5 on the drive.

Bulletguy - 2019-10-05 11:56 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-10-05 10:17 PM

pelmetman - 2019-10-05 10:11 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-10-04 4:23 PM

pelmetman - 2019-10-01 9:00 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-09-30 5:21 PM

There never was free movement for none EU citizens.

So how are they going to check for none EU citizens without replacing Germany's borders? >:-) .........

The checks on non-EU citizenry are supposed to be carried out at the Schengen border. Once in Schengen the non-EU citizen is limited in where they can go by the terms of their Schengen visa. If asked by the authorities in any Schengen country, they must present their documents. Wrong documents - sayonara! It's not difficult. The border checks are sporadic, and usually based on intelligence.

So what Schengen documents have all those asylum seekers got at the channel ports? ;-) ........

Sayonara indeed (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Generally none, but that is a problem for the French, no?

It will become ours if the French rip up the Le Touquet agreement and kick us off their land! After all we haven't really "taken back control" until they do. ;-)

I don't think it will make much difference. Most of those at the Channel ports seem to be in France illegally, having been smuggled into the EU elsewhere. The main difference if the French tear up the Le Touquet Agreement (which is a bi-lateral between us and the French over who has which border staff on which side of the Channel), will be that unless UK decides otherwise, any who cross the Channel and are picked up in UK, will simply be rounded up and sent back to France. The others, as now, will simply disappear into the UK labour black market.

pelmetman - 2019-10-06 8:45 AM

Fast Pat - 2019-10-06 12:36 AM

Talking of borders

So more proof that the EU has been happy to fudge other countries borders >:-) ............

You need to read the WHOLE Twitter string, Dave, not just the headline!! Then you'll see why that statement is wrong. :-)

Paul- - 2019-10-06 9:44 AM……………………..., however I know plenty that wanted controlled migration to stop murderers thieves and vagabonds moving freely (both ways).

Quire right too. But, it isn't the EU that permits such people to move both ways, it is the way the UK has chosen to apply its border checks. Don't forget the UK is not in Schengen, and still has its border. If it wishes, it can restrict the movement of would-be migrants from within the EU on a umber of grounds, satisfaction that they are "of good character" being one. It choses to do otherwise, but that is not because the EU directives setting out what the four freedoms mean prevent it from doing so.

Between January and August, 3,602 farm vacancies went unfilled - 10% of the seasonal workforce. In August, that shortfall reached 17.6%

One farming employment agency told us it is down 27% - and predicts 60% by October. Ramona Fatul, fruit farm Packhouse Manager explains why fewer workers are heading to the UK

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-04/tonnes-of-british-grown-fruit-wasted-over-shortages-of-eu-workers-amid-no-deal-brexit-fears/

Barryd999 - 2019-10-06 11:08 PM

I would be willing to put money on it that I could go back over on posts on here and find stuff from each and everyone of you Brexiteers that says stuff about ending free movement being about stopping EU Workers coming here and taking jobs, stressing services and suppressing wages. Selective memories I reckon.

Fortunately for you I do not gamble but I offer a challenge find one from me and I will apologise profusely. (!)

teflon2 - 2019-10-08 6:57 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-10-06 11:08 PM

Fortunately for you I do not gamble but I offer a challenge find one from me and I will apologise profusely. (!)

LOL! I did have a quick look but the search function on here is crap. Ill take your word for it.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-10-08 3:43 PM

Between January and August, 3,602 farm vacancies went unfilled - 10% of the seasonal workforce. In August, that shortfall reached 17.6%

One farming employment agency told us it is down 27% - and predicts 60% by October. Ramona Fatul, fruit farm Packhouse Manager explains why fewer workers are heading to the UK

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-04/tonnes-of-british-grown-fruit-wasted-over-shortages-of-eu-workers-amid-no-deal-brexit-fears/

My sister and brother are struggling to find staff ;-) ..........

Which has always been a sign of a booming jobs market B-) .........

I've advised them to do what I used to do when faced with to much work :D ........

Put your prices up :-> ...........

Archived