drop down bed jamming Burstner 680G

fesspark

Does anyone have trouble like I do with the Dropdown elec; Bed,Mine sometimes does not go up and sometime down sometimes the headboard doesnt go down and sometimes not up at the moment it is jammed and does not go up or Down, have to hand wind, Hard when you are in your eighties. The dealer speaks as though this is common, just needs resetting,? he says, that does,nt work, just had a month in France ruined.My wife on the day we caught the Ferry back the bed would not go up and she had to lay under the bed and wind it up a great job for a 84 year old, I could not get under the bed as I am slightly disabled Fesspark

Robert

There is a good deal of on-line comment relating to raising/lowering difficulties with electrically-operated motorhome ‘ceiing’ beds.

During our off-forum PM discussions about ongoing problems with your motorhome, you mentioned that the bed had been damaged when work was carried out by the dealership that had sold you your Burstner. My understanding was that (after a long delay) the damaged bed had been replaced or repaired.

There should be no need for any motorhome owner (young or old) to be forced to manually operate a bed that has electrical power designed to make raising/lowering a simple and reliable ‘press button’ task. Even though this type of bed seems to be more problematical than one might like and there have been reported cases of owners being compelled to resort to manual operation (usually to raise the bed), that’s no reason for the dealer to (seemingly) use this as excuse for the trouble you have been having, or saying that the bed “just needs resetting” (Whatever that is supposed to mean...). When you bought your new Burstner you would have had high expectations and these have not been realised.

I can fully understand how disheartening this is and that you may be reluctant to let the dealership have another go at fixing the bed, but as your motorhome is under warranty (and a ‘fix’ may involve a lot more than a reset) I’m afraid you’ll need to go back to the dealership and insist, very firmly, that they sort out the bed issue once and for all.

Have you checked to see if a fuse has now blown?

There is a reset button on the panel which is worth trying again after checking the fuse.

I've just looked at my manual and after that there is probably not much more to do than take it to a dealer (another if yours is not that helpful)

We have a Burstner 680G and have encountered the same issue a couple of times, this mostly due to the control system losing its position but on both occasions I switched off using the key, switched back on and reset using a pin, the reset is located on the control panel {small hole on the control panel}

Derek,Thank you as usual a comforter,The citizen advice expertese say that I must not give them a chance of trying yet again to put this right,after the first attempt whenever that was, I could have demanded a replacement m,home or keep it and have a reasonable discount on the price we paid,When you pay for a quality m,home you expect more than we have got here,We have now owned this for 15 months and has had 5 months use and most of that time we were stressed beyond belief, Fesspark

Bed problems relating to a 2017 Burstner Ixeo 690G were complained about here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/burstner-electric-bed/

A GOOGLE-search on “burstner electric bed” retrieves more comments

https://tinyurl.com/y4otljpb

but a search on "motorhome electric bed problems”

https://tinyurl.com/y3xfrpzd

shows that such things are definitely not unique to Burstner.

How a bed is ‘reset' seems to vary and (apparently) the information is not always provided in the owner handbook. Even if Robert can locate the relevant fuse and this turns out to have blown and replacement results in the bed operating, he’d be very optimistic to believe that a long-term cure had been achieved.

I’m filled with admiration that Robert’s wife was able to wind-up the bed manually, and that she was forced to do this to permit the motorhome to be driven should spur the Burstner dealership to make every effort to ensure she should never need to repeat that task.

(Given Robert’s motorhome’s history I’m doubtful that another Burstner dealership would be prepared to take on under-warranty work on the bed.)

No its definately not unique to Burstner, I am still having occasional issues with my bed, oddly the problem is always that it wont go up, its never failed to come down though, it also doesnt have a reset button, going in this sat to be looked at so fingers crossed

Andy

Archived